Chain won't spin after tightening the nut

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If that post came off as rude I apologize. When I wrote it I realized it could be taken as if I was saying you were not taking the advice but I didn't elaborate. I havent followed closely enough to believe that was the case hence I said "one reason", which is usually the case... I also actually gave you some advice to go read some similar threads but you didn't pick up on it likely from my sarcasm. Sorry.

You have no idea what is going on in my life since this thread was started 72 hours ago, and I am not going to go into it. I have been doing the suggestions, sorry it does not fit your timetable.

I also am not at my home with my shop; I do not have a vise where I am. Furthermore, I am new to chainsaws. I do not have the knowledge of a lifetime of messing with them.

There have been many helpful suggestions and I appreciate it and have said 'thanks' more than once, and I hope to get to the bottom of this.

Now, I can understand why those other people started that other forum. I had heard that this forum had a lot of rude posters with way too much animosity. Looks like it's true.

Thanks to all of you who have made suggestions and have remained civil. You mean-spirited ones, unbelievable you get so worked up over a forum thread.

Since "Mohick" is in his late 80's, we cut him a little slack, they let him on the internet for an hour a day at the OPE old folks home, but they might curtail his bingo
priveleges if he keeps acting up.........

Take the bar/chain off, and just rotate the chain around the bar by hand, and observe closely, and see where it binds, it just may be one burr or kink.

Ever once in a while these threads come up and it amazes me how many pages it takes before it gets resolved. One of the reasons it takes so damn long is because the OP won't take the advice and actually try what is mentioned. At this point, just writing this feels like a waist of time. I would go find a similar thread and link it here but after 5 pages it probably has already been covered. If anyone is inclined they can use the search and find one, maybe it's 10 pages long and has 5 pages of ides that haven't been mentioned yet.

Oh, you mean this guy!! Yeah, it can be frustrating for us trying to help, but then we don't realize that you are getting ideas and suggestions from 30 different guys, so you
can't follow and try all of the ideas thrown at you, or you , being new here, would know which members are even close to being correct. Some of the guys here might even
suggest you need a complete engine rebuild!

You have no idea what is going on in my life since this thread was started 72 hours ago, and I am not going to go into it. I have been doing the suggestions, sorry it does not fit your timetable.

I also am not at my home with my shop; I do not have a vise where I am. Furthermore, I am new to chainsaws. I do not have the knowledge of a lifetime of messing with them.

There have been many helpful suggestions and I appreciate it and have said 'thanks' more than once, and I hope to get to the bottom of this.

Now, I can understand why those other people started that other forum. I had heard that this forum had a lot of rude posters with way too much animosity. Looks like it's true.

Thanks to all of you who have made suggestions and have remained civil. You mean-spirited ones, unbelievable you get so worked up over a forum thread.
I agree they dont know what is going on . It was rude!

This is getting hugely frustrating. Come on you guys, the saw worked fine before he hit the wire so stop dogging on issues of chain/bar/sprocket compatibility.
For the love of chainsaws and all things mechanical, will you PLEASE mount the bar and chain on the saw without the cover and carefully inspect what's going on at the base of the bar. Did the chain move freely right after it met the wire? Was the bar always positioned as far back as it would go? My 2-cents worth is that the chain has become kinked somewhere or has burs that prevent it from straightening out properly and now appears to be shorter, requiring the bar to be moved back. To get the chain on the bar, you may have had to tilt the bar away from the saw, and when you tighten the bar nuts, it brings the bar back in and swings the back end of the bar into contact with the clutch drum, jamming it. Just a theory, and I really don't like it because the end of the bar should not be able to contact the clutch drum, but maybe with a bar not meant for that saw...... Also if there is something wrong with the chain the grinder operator should have noticed it.

It may be frustrating waiting for someone to follow advice, but you know it is his saw and his problem to solve - he'll get to it if it's important to him. Why should it make anyone else angry or cause them to get rude? If he never fixes it my saws will still work fine - so help if you can but there's no need to be impolite.

Did clean out the bar grove well. Run a small flat head screw driver down from the sprocket to the end that bolts to saw. Also, check for burs or anything the hang up while cleaning. Then blow out with compressed air to make sure clean. Clean and blow chain off. Bolt on using large washers without clutch cover, like Old2stroke said above and get back to us.

It is hard to always get common terms and know what everyone is talking about online if new to something.

Went ahead and stuffed a rope in the cylinder, lol. Got the clutch off, it says Oregon 38-7 on the rim sprocket. So, that matches, right?

I don't know what a worn sprocket looks like, but this one looks fine to me. The 7 splines, where they fit into the 7 grooves, there is a little slop, but not much.

Sorry, I missed this post the first time around.

The answer really is NO, it doesn't match, as that rim is a regular 3/8" one and not a lo-pro one. Oregon doesn't sell any rims for 3/8" lo-pro chain.

Mostly that combination sort of works, but it is like using a rim that is worn well past its useful "life" (diameter is to small).

I don't really know if it can cause the issue you have, but usually it doesn't.

Something I would try is to leave a little extra slack in the chain with the nuts finger tight, and then recheck the tension after tightening the nuts. If it helps, make a mental note of how much slack to leave (sort of a "Kentucky windage"). It may solve the problem if the bar and chain is OK.

Avoid over-tightening both the chain and the nuts.

The pictures show what looks like a lot of crud on the mounting surfaces for the bar and cover. A small spot of debris could be causing the bar to misalign or bend when the nuts are torqued. I would suggest cleaning the entire area including both sides of both chain guides, the bar, the drive case and the clutch cover to be sure there is nothing in there that should not be. Good luck.

It's interesting how many threads are put about not oiling, cutting crooked, cutting a few inches and no further. Then the saw bound up with brake on or wrong bar gauge pitch combos. Is a hot topic. Continue I am curious of the answer now.

I have learned a lot of things here on AS over the past 10 years (!!! hey, I missed my anniversary - Darin did not send flowers!!!). Some appear 'obvious' in hindsight, with the knowledge I acquired later, or because they are common issues. But it is easy to forget not knowing that stuff. It is also easy to assume that someone else's problem is always due to the same cause. Aside from trying to help out 'newbies', I often learn learn stuff from threads like this, especially when it is due to something that is not obvious.

It can be frustrating to diagnose problems at a distance - the OP might describe or take a photo of what he/she thinks is the issue, while an experienced eye might notice something else right away.

It is clear that this saw has a non-standard bar and chain set up, which is probably related to the problem. The challenging part is that the OP says it was working until he hit the barbed wire. Was something damaged by the wire (bent chain links can be hard to find, even when you are looking for them)? Was this bar/chain set up about to fail anyway (drive sprocket incompatibility)? Is it related to the 'lack-of-slack'?

***Even if he 'solves' his problem by replacing the bar, chain, and sprocket with the standard ones for that saw, I want to know what it was about the current set up that caused the problem.*** Was it a bent link? Is the bar tail too long? Are the guide plates damaged? Design limits of this Husky? Etc. That way, I learn something as well.

Philbert

What frustrates me about this thread is that I encountered a similar situation on a saw once. It also seemed fine until the bar was clamped down and then the chain wouldn't turn. I can't for the life of me remember what the issue was. I do remember that the chain was pressing into the body of the saw but I can't remember why or what I did to remedy it. Can't even remember what brand of saw it was.

What frustrates me about this thread is that I encountered a similar situation on a saw once. It also seemed fine until the bar was clamped down and then the chain wouldn't turn. I can't for the life of me remember what the issue was. I do remember that the chain was pressing into the body of the saw but I can't remember why or what I did to remedy it. Can't even remember what brand of saw it was.
Getting old sucks sometimes.

Getting old sucks sometimes.

LOL! And it gets worse! Getting back to the issue, I like your idea as the best place to start being to mount the B&C without the clutch cover using the nuts & washers & see if the chain can be freely pulled by hand. Another thought comes to mind. If I remember correctly (can't count on that) the OP said he continued to cut after damaging the chain & some smoking occured. I would expect the chain to stretch from being overheated, but maybe some warpage took place?? I had to chime in here, because I am very curious as to what the answer is.

LOL! And it gets worse! Getting back to the issue, I like your idea as the best place to start being to mount the B&C without the clutch cover using the nuts & washers & see if the chain can be freely pulled by hand. Another thought comes to mind. If I remember correctly (can't count on that) the OP said he continued to cut after damaging the chain & some smoking occured. I would expect the chain to stretch from being overheated, but maybe some warpage took place?? I had to chime in here, because I am very curious as to what the answer is.
Wonder if he smoked the chainbrake band?

Latest posts

Back