Chain won't spin after tightening the nut

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you have a bench vise clamp the bar in it. Then proceed to to feed the chain into the bar to see if it moves smoothly or not. This will see if a driver has a burr on it or not.

It only takes a few of the drivers to have burrs and it will stop the chain from spinning freely. Do what westcoaster said and put the chain on loose and run it a couple of blips of the throttle then tighten it normal.

I give up trying to upload a pic of the inside of the clutch cover. Error, time after time. I uploaded it early on in the thread, maybe you can double click on it and make it bigger?

I didn't quite follow you there. Measure and then divide by two?
Screen shot 2016-02-15 at 12.12.55 PM.png

Husqvarna H37 chain is 3/8 low profile ('mini'), .050 (1.3mm) gauge chain. This matches the markings on the bar. Can't see the sprocket.
http://www.husqvarna.com/us/accessories/chainsaw-chains/h37-3-8-mini-pitch-1-3-mm/576936545/

I have a helluva time putting the chain onto the bar, on the saw. There is just no slack.
Several people have noted that this saw usually is equipped with .325 pitch chain. Looking at your photo in Post #51 above, it almost looks like the front of the bar adjustment slot is filed towards the front. It is not uncommon for people to swap out bars, chains, sprockets, etc. on a saw - usually not a problem if they match as a set.

Your comments about the lack of slack make me wonder if this set up was modified to fit? Still, that should not affect the chain binding issue, if it worked before, as you indicate.

This is part of what makes saws 'interesting' . . .

Philbert

As suggested upthread, mount up the bar without the clutch cover using washers or a larger nut as a spacer. Then you can see what is going on. It's not magic, just some simple mechanical interference.

I didn't quite follow you there. Measure and then divide by two?

The distance between three rivets in a row is about 11.5/16", so, 23/32", so, that is .71875". Is that what you mean?

I am still waiting on pics to upload to my laptop.
No, it should just be between .650 to .750". 650 divided by 2 is .325 I'm talking about the rivets that hold the chain together.

No, it should just be between .650 to .750". 650 divided by 2 is .325 I'm talking about the rivets that hold the chain together.

Huh? It IS between .650" and .750" -- as I said, it is about .71875". Divide that by two and you get .359375". Of course, that is just by guessing, eyeballing a ruler, I don't have a caliper. So, does 1/2 of .71875" (.359375") indicate that it is 3/8 (.375) and not a .325 chain?

The pic posted by Philbert above... the distance between the two dashed lines... on mine, that is what I am calling .71875".

I am going to run the saw just a little and try again as some have suggested.

Somebody got hold of a near mint 346xp (50cc version) that had done test cuts only and had it ported. Also installed Walbro HDA199 carb. Ran one tank of gas through it afterwards. I have run it maybe one hour.

I got a fancy ruler on it wearing a jeweler's rouge. I still get 23/32" between 3 rivets... .71875". That should be .75"? Does it seem odd that it is not .65" and not .75" but it is .71875"?

I don't know if I can take the clutch cover off, never done it, will try, but I don't like sticking a rope down into the cylinder, lol. I assume I have to remove the clutch to see the sprocket so I can determine sprocket size.

This is probably wrong but here goes, you said the Husqvarna guy sharpened it on his grinder right? Are you positive he gave you back the right chain? I can picture a grinder and 2 or 3 chains lying on his bench maybe he grabbed the wrong pitch chain and passed it to you?

It was actually a Stihl dealer that does not carry Husky now that I think about it, lol. He sharpened it as I stood around and as I recall, I was nearby and I think he took a few steps and handed it to me right from the grinder after putting the last grind on it.

Also, it does have 52 links.

I don't know if I can take the clutch cover off, never done it
Yes you have - this is the clutch cover:
image-jpg.486106

Now bolt up the bar and chain without it, using washers or large nuts as a spacer. Then you can see what is going on. Keep a perspective on this - it is a simple mechanical assembly and you can see how it works.

Yes you have - this is the clutch cover:
image-jpg.486106

Now bolt up the bar and chain without it, using washers or large nuts as a spacer. Then you can see what is going on. Keep a perspective on this - it is a simple mechanical assembly and you can see how it works.

I meant clutch, not clutch cover. You're right, I have obviously taken off the clutch cover!

Does it seem odd that it is not .65" and not .75" but it is .71875"?
"3/8" is a nominal measurement, like "2 by 4". Don't even get started on that . . . .

Are you positive he gave you back the right chain?
The chain is marked '37' - Husqvarna's code for 3/8 low pro chain.

Philbert

Back