Dolmar 421, Stihl 250/251, 241 or 261

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stihl 250 or 251,241 or 261 or Dolmar 421

• Dolmar 421

• Stihl 251

• Stihl 250

• Stihl 241

• Stihl 261

Results are only viewable after voting.
It is not that I am fussing, it is simply that the nature of this discussion has been about how this "problem" or situation is NOT your normal logging or firewood cutting situation, and so there is not just a 1 saw solution.

Lol or if there IS, speak up, I'd be first in line for that critter!

It is not that I am fussing, it is simply that the nature of this discussion has been about how this "problem" or situation is NOT your normal logging or firewood cutting situation, and so there is not just a 1 saw solution.

Lol or if there IS, speak up, I'd be first in line for that critter!
Dolmar 6100.
Cuts great, built great, priced right, and still lighter than the 661. Lol

Just kidding the 421 or 241 would be one over the best choices for what you are asking for.

Here are the links to the outfit I was with. They were and are absolutely awesome people. A couple of them have were discussing working what sort of part time jobs they needed so that they could be with this ministry wherever, whenever it "deployed"

They were just so utterly selfless, encouraging, and giving. . . Words really fail.

http://eightdaysofhope.com/hope-reigns

http://www.intagme.com/eightdaysofhope/1154519697820877141_277679991/

https://m.facebook.com/EightDaysofHope/?tsid=0.3200140683911741&source=typeahead

Anytime you gents want to show up and show off what truly powered up saws can do, you would be more than welcome. There was a local who had a Woods Ported MS046 I could tell when he was on site just by the sound, and man did the mulch fly.

I'm not a stranger to hard work, shoot it took me around 1.5-2 weeks of using nothing but the 661 from felling to limbing to start picking up both my 661 and the MS250 the ministry had on hand. When you have to cut all the branches up into lengths between 20 inches and 4 foot so that they can all be hauled by hand around someone's house (or the remnants there of) or a cemetery where half the headstones were from 1850, and had been blown over by the wind. Heavy equipment wasn't exactly an option. Using that big saw for all those tiny cuts gets a bit old rather quickly. Especially when you need to start at the top of the pile to release the pressure/stress on the lower branches for safety.

Holding the 661 above chest height for any extended period just .... quickly becomes unpleasant and something you look for a work around.

I would call those work arounds Smaller Saws =)
I said a lb or less didn't make any difference to me,never said anything about a 10 lb saw vs a 17 lb saw

Dolmar 6100.
Cuts great, built great, priced right, and still lighter than the 661. Lol

Just kidding the 421 or 241 would be one over the best choices for what you are asking for.

I keep flip flopping between the MS 261 and the Dolmar. What with how dependable/rugged you folks talk about the Dolmar being AND the $$$; I have actually been playing around with the idea of getting the Dolmar then porting it. If I could find the Stihl's for the same $ I would definitely snatch the 261 up, but from the sound of things it might be just as useful to go the Dolmar route. Although the 261 is really tempting.

This has turned into a wild BA style thread with modded saws vs. stock, Dolmar vs Stihl (vs Husky), with all the trimmings. Wait until you ask which type of mod to get (pop vs squish!).

Amusing how many Dolmar fans there are here. I looked into getting several of their saws once, including the 420 and 5100s, but there are just too few dealers in the PNW. I also looked into becoming a Dolmar dealer when I lived in Southern Oregon, but the PNW distributor is a jerk and I was warned off by several other previous and current Dolmar dealers in the western US not to do it.

This has turned into a wild BA style thread with modded saws vs. stock, Dolmar vs Stihl (vs Husky), with all the trimmings. Wait until you ask which type of mod to get (pop vs squish!).

Amusing how many Dolmar fans there are here. I looked into getting several of their saws once, including the 420 and 5100s, but there are just too few dealers in the PNW. I also looked into becoming a Dolmar dealer when I lived in Southern Oregon, but the PNW distributor is a jerk and I was warned off by several other previous and current Dolmar dealers in the western US not to do it.

Pop vs Squish? Yah, ummm you lost me there. Please tell me that these saw masters I keep reading about specialize in one or the other so I could simply go with a Master (whatever the rest of his username is) or Snell

Pop vs Squish? Yah, ummm you lost me there. Please tell me that these saw masters I keep reading about specialize in one or the other so I could simply go with a Master (whatever the rest of his username is) or Snell

Oh, a big can of worms there. They (Randy and Brad) have spilled out onto many other forums in mod wars started here over pop-up mods (Brad) vs. squish cut mods (Randy). They have just recently both been pulled as sponsors from this site after yet another war was brewing, and several folks were banned in the process. But yes, you could go with one of them, or one of many other modders out there. I do not recommend any, or see the need for a modified saw in your case.

I've never dealt with this outfit, too far away. Vancouver Island.
http://portablebandsawmills.ca/catalog/chainsaw/dolmar-0

I've been kicking tires on a 241c for some time now but with Cdn dollar in toilet I will wait until Oil comes back up and drags the Cdn dollar with it before buying something. Great deals in Canada *if* you are buying with US dollars. 30% gain!!!

Anyone know of any dealers in BC that sell Dolmar? Would like to grab a 421, but so far I can't find anyone that sells them.

Question: I know how to tell the version II of the 261c, but how about the 241c version II?

Here is the 420 and 241 in there element

Nice comparison videos! :)
The 241 seems a bit stronger, but I'd still prefer the 421!
A muffler mod should bring her up to speed.

I will cast my vote for the Dolmar PS-421, but I am a little bit biased as I only ever used Dolmar IN MY LIFE.

To the OP, I have been using my Dolmar's PS-6400 & PS-7900 for everything from felling, over bucking up to limbing tiniest branches, even bush clearing - thus I understand the desire for a lighter saw even though I am built quite strong and actually own small 40cc saws. That been said, picking up a small saw wearing a "long" bar counteracts the purpose of the small saw - You will loose handling and maneuverability!
Bars can last for Years and chains cost next to nothing, thus I wouldn't set my criteria at "uses the same chain"!
As some members stated, visit as many dealers in Your vicinity and try the weights of as many "small" saws as You can.
Considering that You intend to buck with Your 661 (I might have gotten this wrong?!) and want a nimble small saw for limbing You shouldn't worry about different chain size as You'll never mount Your big saws chain onto Your small saw anyway.
Having saws with two different chain sizes will require You to carry one additional file size with You and I don't see any issue in that.
Additionally, .325" or 3/8" LowProfile/Picco chains feature smaller teeth making the limbing experience much smoother. Trust me, limbing small branches with 3/8" chisel chain can be a rough experience.

Good luck with Your choice and don't forget to post what You have chosen! :)

NOTE: If sharpening in the field is an issue, picking a saw that features 3/8" LowProfile/Picco would enable You to try a "PowerSharp" system. I don't have one yet and therefore don't know how it handles, but I intend to purchase a starter kit for my little 40cc saws.

NOTE2: I own two 40cc saws , and one 64cc & 79cc each. My Sachs-Dolmar 105 & 108 are identical saws with the exception that the 105 is a top handle design. The Dolmar PS-6400 & PS-7900 are also identical with the exception of cc difference.
As I mentioned before, I am well built and used to high physical load from my regular work, thus for many Years my main go to saw is my 64cc Dolmar PS-6400. Why? Because my 40cc saw just seems slow once I have to buck a tree trunk or limb strong branches, and my 79cc saw is pure overkill for most any of my needs. The only issue I have with using my PS-6400 for everything is the physical size of the saw! A big saw wearing a long bar tends to get in the way when limbing, thus a two saw plan is optimal as long as there is a logical size difference between them.

NOTE3: As pictures say a thousand words here are some of my favorite duo, 14" & 20" bars:
Sachs-Dolmar 105.JPG Sachs-Dolmar 105 1.JPG
Dolmar PS-6400.JPG Dolmar PS-6400 1.JPG
Dolmar PS-6400 - Sachs-Dolmar 105 1.JPG Dolmar PS-6400 - Sachs-Dolmar 105 2.JPG Dolmar PS-6400 - Sachs-Dolmar 105 3.JPG
Dolmar PS-6400 - Sachs-Dolmar 105 4.JPG Dolmar PS-6400 - Sachs-Dolmar 105 5.JPG Dolmar PS-6400 - Sachs-Dolmar 105 6.JPG

Cheers, :cheers:

Nice comparison videos! :)
The 241 seems a bit stronger, but I'd still prefer the 421!
A muffler mod should bring her up to speed.

I will cast my vote for the Dolmar PS-421, but I am a little bit biased as I only ever used Dolmar IN MY LIFE.

To the OP, I have been using my Dolmar's PS-6400 & PS-7900 for everything from felling, over bucking up to limbing tiniest branches, even bush clearing - thus I understand the desire for a lighter saw even though I am built quite strong and actually own small 40cc saws. That been said, picking up a small saw wearing a "long" bar counteracts the purpose of the small saw - You will loose handling and maneuverability!
Bars can last for Years and chains cost next to nothing, thus I wouldn't set my criteria at "uses the same chain"!
As some members stated, visit as many dealers in Your vicinity and try the weights of as many "small" saws as You can.
Considering that You intend to buck with Your 661 (I might have gotten this wrong?!) and want a nimble small saw for limbing You shouldn't worry about different chain size as You'll never mount Your big saws chain onto Your small saw anyway.
Having saws with two different chain sizes will require You to carry one additional file size with You and I don't see any issue in that.
Additionally, .325" or 3/8" LowProfile/Picco chains feature smaller teeth making the limbing experience much smoother. Trust me, limbing small branches with 3/8" chisel chain can be a rough experience.

Good luck with Your choice and don't forget to post what You have chosen! :)

NOTE: If sharpening in the field is an issue, picking a saw that features 3/8" LowProfile/Picco would enable You to try a "PowerSharp" system. I don't have one yet and therefore don't know how it handles, but I intend to purchase a starter kit for my little 40cc saws.

NOTE2: I own two 40cc saws , and one 64cc & 79cc each. My Sachs-Dolmar 105 & 108 are identical saws with the exception that the 105 is a top handle design. The Dolmar PS-6400 & PS-7900 are also identical with the exception of cc difference.
As I mentioned before, I am well built and used to high physical load from my regular work, thus for many Years my main go to saw is my 64cc Dolmar PS-6400. Why? Because my 40cc saw just seems slow once I have to buck a tree trunk or limb strong branches, and my 79cc saw is pure overkill for most any of my needs. The only issue I have with using my PS-6400 for everything is the physical size of the saw! A big saw wearing a long bar tends to get in the way when limbing, thus a two saw plan is optimal as long as there is a logical size difference between them.

NOTE3: As pictures say a thousand words here are some of my favorite duo, 14" & 20" bars:
View attachment 479223 View attachment 479224
View attachment 479225 View attachment 479226
View attachment 479227 View attachment 479228 View attachment 479229
View attachment 479230 View attachment 479231 View attachment 479232

Cheers, :cheers:
That was one of Randys first 241c to port and he admitted himself was not where he wanted it and changed the transfer heights and since made an even stronger 241

It suprises me how many seem to be against porting on a site that has been mostly about just that? Porting isnt necessary but sure helps. Saying it is unecessary to me is like taking a deer rifle with a scope thats shooting 1ft to the left. Sure u can kill a deer with it but it can no doubt be improved

This is a great thread, i have pondered the same issue. With a similar start, 3y ago bought a 660 but had the 026 already.

A 40cc class would be nice with a 14 to keep chain speed up.

Also does a to handle model have a place in this discussion or at least a rear version aka but not limited to 200T/ms200. Coming from using 192t/200t both12" at work. Only got to do a similar type of work once st home with a echo cs360t @16" eBay saw lose carb screws=now scored needing split and rebuild.

I have a new 3003 16" 3/8 bar, I was going to put my old 026 but I'm probably going to leave it on the .325 .063 RM @18", maybe cut down to 16". Even if it wouldnt be the same chain as the 660/064.
For the vibration comments mentioned on small <1-3" wood

A 40-50cc Makita/Dolmar is 450-600 here vs 1400-1500 for the Stihl. B/C or not I can pay full rrp(won't be) and be in front on spare chains
Ps6100 $979 Has a small mount is on my option list as well. If/when.

Another cheap light option could be a box store $200 saw that you can learn tuning on, like this Ryobi 42cc rips now with the deleted cat and 4 more 7mm holes (drill bit on hand, about right size) on the stock 10mm port

Cheers
James

Latest posts

Back