Echo warranty a joke, need new saw.

• Thread starter Deleted member 149229
  • Start date
Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Deleted member 149229

Have got a lot of help from this site before I joined but need some advice. My Echo CS-400 was 10 months old when it puked, piston broke, took to the dealer and it sat there another 10 months. Echo and dealer both blaming each other. Finally dealer goes out of business and I went and got the torn apart saw myself and sent it to Echo. Echo service rep contacts me and states that although the Champion spark plug according to the cross reference chart was correct, since it was hotter than the NGK plug, which the store didn't have that brand, Echo will not honor the warranty. My question, other than Echo, who makes a good saw, 18" that uses Oregon S62 chain. I have a bunch of them. Thanks.

S62 is 3/8 low profile .050 gage chain with 62 drive links. Any saw equipped with a sprocket designed for 3/8 low profile chain will be able to use your existing chains if you get the right bar. This is a popular size chain for sub 50cc saws. What is your budget for a new saw? Why not repair the Echo?

Top of the list of saws that will use that chain include the Dolmar/Makita EA4300 or the Stihl MS241.

Lower cost would be some of the Stihl homeowner saws like MS250, MS211, MS180, MS181. Stihl may use a different drive link count on an 18" bar, so just make sure to verify if you go that route.

Other mid level saws include Husqvarna/Jonsered homeowner saws under 45-50cc which likely come with or can be equipped with 3/8 low profile chain.

Anything less costly (Hitachi, Poulan, anything made in china) is likely not going to be as good of quality as your Echo, but your chains will likely fit with the right bar.

If your Echo just needs a new piston and the cylinder is still okay, it might be cheapest to fix it. If your not comfortable with doing the work yourself, maybe someone close by from the site would lend a hand.

Yep, piston broke on the intake side. Jug is scored. Ring broke in half. I was a machinist for 40 years so I'm willing to bet the rod and crank took a hit too.

I had a stroke 2 years ago and gift I got from that was hand tremors. My hands now are about only good for loosening the nuts to tension the chain. My days of fine finger manipulation are over. Couldn't type this if it wasn't for auto correct.

That's what I wanted to know. Seems like they will nitpick anything to void a warranty. I took a pic but can't figure out how to post it.

Like to stay in the $300-400 range but be able to use all the .375/.050/62dl chains I have. I know, what a P...In The A..

I think the picture loaded.

Attachments

• IMG_0391.JPG
    IMG_0391.JPG
    837.5 KB · Views: 222
Remember, you can always shorten your existing chains. The local saw shop should be able to break and remake your chains to a shorter length for not much cost.

Have to check if there is a Dolmar dealer around here. Amazing how that broken ring/piston was caused by a spark plug that was cross referenced as correct. Like I said, nitpick to avoid covering a warranty. Only saws I see around here at stores/ dealers are Stihl, Echo, Husqvarna and Jonsered. Oh yeah, Poulan, but that doesn't count.

Latest posts

Back