• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Sold Found Stihl 044, Thanks A/S

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobbyBoy32

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Long story short, I'm tired of my heavy 19 lbs. 60cc McCulloch and I've been shopping for a used(new to me) more lightweight "all around" saw for about two weeks. For once my wife says, "just hurry up and get one". Well I've narrowed down my choices to the following list of acceptable saws in the 60-75cc range, and I have $400 to spend total(up to $450 for the right deal):

Stihl:
036 pro
Ms360/361/362
044/Ms440
Ms460

Husqvarna:
272xp
372xp
575xp
other 60-75cc professional saws etc.

Jonsered:
Open to anything nice 60cc+

Dolmar:
6400 is okay I guess

May sound dumb, but purchasing without seeing the saw I need to know the compression and any other issues that may need attention. I have paypal, and any offers can quote shipping to Ann Arbor, Michigan 48103 Thanks, Rob

Long story short, I'm tired of my heavy 19 lbs. 60cc McCulloch and I've been shopping for a new "all around" saw for about two weeks. For once my wife says, "just hurry up and get one". Well I've narrowed down my choices to the following list of acceptable saws in the 60-75cc range, and I have $400 to spend total(up to $450 for the right deal):

Stihl:
036 pro
Ms360/361/362
044/Ms440
Ms460

Husqvarna:
272xp
372xp
575xp
other 60-75cc professional saws etc.

Jonsered:
Open to anything nice 60cc+

Dolmar:
6400 is okay I guess

May sound dumb, but purchasing without seeing the saw I need to know the compression and any other issues that may need attention. I have paypal, and any offers can quote shipping to Ann Arbor, Michigan 48103 Thanks, Rob
Welcome to AS Rob from another Michigander :hi:.
Sorry I don't have anything that will fit your price range or cc requirements.
It's not on your listof husky saws, but have you considered a 555, it will keep up all of the 60cc stihl saws you posted.
They are very fun saws.
I also have a 262xp, but that's not on your list either.
I also have a ported 044 in the trading post but I'm needing $500 for it.
Also you are welcome to come up my way just east of GR and give any of my saws a try, I have a few :).20161013_165119.jpg20161013_013456.jpg

Thanks for the warm welcome guys. We need it in Michigan right about now with the Siberian Express coming into town. I think I responded to all PMs

cIMG_0305.JPG
IMG_0308.JPG
IMG_0309.JPG
My current saws if anyone wants to incorporate a trade lol. They all run though, pretty yellow mac prob has less than 5 hours of use. My grandpa bought it new. Also a picture of the size project I'm dealing with. I put my beer on the tree in the snow for reference of size. What do you all think?

cView attachment 543540
View attachment 543541
View attachment 543543
My current saws if anyone wants to incorporate a trade lol. They all run though, pretty yellow mac prob has less than 5 hours of use. My grandpa bought it new. Also a picture of the size project I'm dealing with. I put my beer on the tree in the snow for reference of size. What do you all think?
I'm thinking what beer lol. Those look pretty good sized, I would want a nice 70cc saw myself for cutting them if that is the average size of the onces you will be cleaning up. But I'm not into an all around saw. An 044 is a great option aa it will spin a 24 nicely and you can switch to an 18 or 20 for a "lightweight" saw.

Jim Rivers just posted a 394. It isn't pretty but should cut those trees no problem. I think he has it listed for 325. If it was me I would be out there with my 395 or 650. I have a very strong 361 and think those look to be on the high side diameter wise for what I would use it on.

I'd gladly pay for a helping hand if you or anyone else wanted to stop by anytime. I have plenty work to get done out there. I sent @chipper1 a message about the 044. What about a 272xp w/ base gasket delete? Would those handle 30" base diameter?

I'd gladly pay for a helping hand if you or anyone else wanted to stop by anytime. I have plenty work to get done out there. I sent @chipper1 a message about the 044. What about a 272xp w/ base gasket delete? Would those handle 30" base diameter?
Yes the 272 is a tried and true saw.
And very capable of taking care of your needs there.

cView attachment 543540
View attachment 543541
View attachment 543543

I think for a one saw plan, you should get a ms362c/m or 357xp, have it ported and call it done. Light, and will pull 16" to 25" all day long (20" is ideal, but you may have to finish cut the other side for the trunk cuts). An 044 with 28" is nice as well, especially ported. But you will notice the additional weight.

Welcome to the site, if you can't find it here... it dosen't exist!
Cheers!

Thinking myself and @chipper1 need to bring some saws and have a mini gtg!

I've already discussed just that with Rob.
Can we fit the tractor and articulated on the trailer :).
We might need to borrow a few saws so there is enough to go around :laugh:.

I only have 12...plus yours we would need to rent another trailer to haul saws. Of course we could bring the loaders!

Man saws are just plain expensive! That being said, I think I've got what I need... I found a not too bad on the eyes stock/oem P&C Stihl 044 for $350. Working on getting a new bar and chain now. I'm leaning toward a 24-25" unless you all think I'd be just fine with only a 20". I guess at this point I just have to see how the saw runs. @chipper1 and everyone else, I can't thank you enough for all the advice. Let me know if anyone needs a spot for deer hunting in S.E. Michigan. My grandpa has a nice property and I could always use the company. Cheers ArboristSite! I'm sure I'll be picking up a ms260 or 346xp to replace my sh!tty Poulan. My bank account needs time to recover though. I would post the McCullochs here, but I'll probably have better luck on craigslist. They may cost more to ship than they are worth haha.

Back