just in case 24" bar and chain ms361

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Perhaps I missed the minimum income requirements to join AS. There is a strange assumption here that your avereage guy can go out and buy the optimum pro saw for every 4" increment of tree size. I guess I don't know too many folks who can afford that, and the ones I do know sure won't put the effort into cutting wood. If it's not a business your typical homeowner is going to have to make do with non-optimally sized saws on occasion, but still need to get the job done. Obviously any reasonably competant 60cc saw can pull a 25" bar when needed.

Do you guys really think your time is that important that the difference in cutting speed matters so much?

I've used a 30" bar with full comp chain on a stock Stihl 039 to do some tornado clean up. I have that bar on my MS660 now which is a more appropriate powerhead for it. It got done what I needed it to do. What is "ideal" and what is "doable" are two different things. As Chris-PA stated, not everyone can have what they want or need so people get by with what they have.

holy moly. for the record I have owned this saw for 3 years and used and maintained a great many other this size and larger while living in alaska and working for the USFS building trails, bridges, and all sorts of fun wild stuff. Now I live in a city in the south, have a house, wife, kid,dog... wow, im tamed..... I was looking for whether ot not the 361 would pull a 25 bar/chain in pine reasonably and some bar chain recomendation up to the task of cutting some what dirty pines post storm. I loves my previous jobs 660 for ripping massive glue lam hardwood beams but i will not be running out and buying one I have no need. that and Im 160 and that thing was a tiring beast. I am poor but I have a house a awesome wife and knee deep in nursing school. I have learned my lesson and will as much more specific questions in the future thanks to all those who have provided specific comments and advise pertaining to my question. To all i offer the invite to drop by anytime for a beer(always 5 or so on tap)

What I have leanred is i am going to buy a 24-25" sproket nose bar and a semi chisel skip or non skip chain that part i am undecided on

People define "will pull" widely different, and different wood etc make a lot of differense!

To the original question; A 24" bar will be very tip heavy on a 361, so preferably get a light one. The 25" Rollomatic E (not ES) is a reasonably light 24" bar that isn't too expensive.
Other light options are the Tsumura light & tough, and the Sugihara light.

I like the E also. In fact I would much rather have a 25" E bar than my current ES bars.

We get the idea. He didn't ask for the best race saw, he's just asking if it will work in a literal emergency, which it will.

Emergency?
OK, I guess storm damage will qualify as an emergency - but is it really an emergency when it is planned/prepared well ahead? :D

Get a lot of hurricanes your way, Niko?

Not often up here, but some times they hit Norway further south. Of course they are no longer tropical (the ones that originally was).
We have had some storm damage though, if memory serves the last time was in 2001 or so. I Guess we live a "protected" life, in that regard.... :)

Not often up here, but some times they hit Norway further south. Of course they are no longer tropical (the ones that originally was).
We have had some storm damage though, if memory serves the last time was in 2001 or so. I Guess we live a "protected" life, in that regard.... :)

Having lived in Europe off and on since 1997, I can say that most of Europe is fairly protected from any real weather.

I like the E also. In fact I would much rather have a 25" E bar than my current ES bars.

The problem with the "E" bars is they aren't quite as sturdy as the ES. However, unlike the Oregon Pro Lites, they ARE light ;)

154646885.av4ckJNC.jpg

Now don't you be putting a dirty old stihl bar on your nice huskies sawtroll, or may the saw god cut you down! :p

Hell, I had an extra 18" husky mount Pro Lite laying about that I massaged to fit my stihl mount ;) Too bad it doesn't actually say Husky on it. But it does say "73" on it, so you know it's not a Stihl bar here in Europe.

ETA, I have cut a LOT of wood with this Pro Lite, and the paint has barely come off of it. I haven't ever seen an Oregon PL bar in the states last this well.

Back