Masterminded 346XP Tips And Tricks

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now getting onto the tips.....

When you port a 346XP, the tank vent doesn't seem to keep up.

So, pull the carb floor.

Numas 346XP 100.jpg

Numas 346XP 101.jpg

Then pull the vent with a set of needlenose pliers.

Numas 346XP 103.jpg

Here's the vent....

Numas 346XP 104.jpg

Push the guts out with a stiff wire.....

Numas 346XP 105.jpg

Numas 346XP 106.jpg

Put only the big silver piece back in......throw all that other stuff in the trash.

Then drill a 1/16" or 1/2mm hole here....

Numas 346XP 107.jpg

The hole needs to be as far back in as possible, so the white piece doesn't cover it. If you're not sure it's far enough back, just slot the white piece a little so it can breathe past it......

Then put it back together.....and stuff.

Next.....

Notice this flat spot on the intake spigot? No matter if you spin a popup (God forbid) or cut the squish (much better) the jug will end up with a flat spot here when you cut the base.....

Numas 346XP 008.jpg

Forget the base gasket on a 346 if you are doing machine work. Using it just means you must cut even more from the base.

To be sure you have a good seal on the intake....

Numas 346XP 009.jpg

I use brake parts cleaner to degrease the parts.......then I put a thin layer of Loctite 518 on the spigot.

Numas 346XP 010.jpg

One more little trick here.......never take that damn clamp off. Just slide it apart with the clamp latched.......then back on the same way.

Also.......note that groove in the cylinder extension? That's a "make damn sure" groove. It's insurance for the impulse.....

Numas 346XP 011.jpg

Here's another tip for y'all machinist types.

When you cut the base on a 346XP, you'll need to make sure the intake ain't in a bind on the case when you bolt it back together. If the intake is being pushed up here......it may leak. I've fixed several that this spot was overlooked on.

Numas 346XP 012.jpg

It's pretty simple......if you lower the jug .050", just take that much out here.

Then the coil.......

Most of the guys I do these saws for like to use an unlimited coil on em. They are getting harder to find.......so we've had a few guys send a aftermarket coil with them. They seem to do fine. Will they last? I'm not sure yet.......time will tell.

I don't mind the 14,100 coil on em........I just tune with a tach right up to the limiter......then lean it out a fuzz more.

Back