MS390 v.s. MS391...slightly confused

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kawimudslinger

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey all,

I have been doing quite abit of searching on this site as well as others and can't find a straight answer.

My local dealer still has a few MS 390's in stock, but can quickly get in a 391 if I want. The Ms390 is on sale for $499 and the 391 is $599. (Canadian pricing)

Aside from the price, what excatly is the difference between the two saws? I understand the 391 has improved fuel economy and is better for the environment....but I would rather drive a Dodge Ram then a Smart car...

Does the 390 run better? Or is it worth the extra $100 for the 391 and why?

Thanks so much for any information, and please don't suggest a pro saw...after much consideration I have decided on these two saws as I only cut firewood and some property clearing and maintenance.

Cheers,
KMS

The 391 is a completely new saw, nothing like the 390 it's replacing. The 391 has a stratofied engine, new AV, improved air filtration, better fuel economy..... The only thing similiar is the displacement.

Last edited:
To my understanding, the MS 390's are being completely phased out for the MS 391. I'd bet on that being the main reason why the dealer would be so eager to get you the latest saw. I'd imagine the 391 being quite the improvement over the predecessor.

Thanks so much for the reply's so far. I never knew there was so much of a difference between the two as far as engine and air filter etc. What kinda made me think the 390 was still better then the 391 was because there's so much negative info on here about the 391 (mostly from 361 guys) and it's pretty much all positive posts about the 390's...But not many posts about comparing the two.

So you think the 391 will definetly be a better buy? Or would I be stupid for getting the older 390?

Either will be better then my MS250...I have some pretty big stuff to cut!

To my understanding, the MS 390's are being completely phased out for the MS 391. I'd bet on that being the main reason why the dealer would be so eager to get you the latest saw. I'd imagine the 391 being quite the improvement over the predecessor.

It also is even heavier - do you want pest or colera? :greenchainsaw:

For that much money you have a lot of other options, many of them better IMHO. With that said I hear the 391 is a fine saw with good power, but quite heavy for it's cc's.:cheers:

My personal choice would be.

Dolmar/Makita-6400
Stihl-MS362
Husky-359/357

All of these saws are lighter, have similar power and have metal crank cases.:cheers: The 6400 and 359 are also cheaper.

Last edited:
For that much money you have a lot of other options, many of them better IMHO. With that said the I hear the 391 is a fine saw with good power, but quite heavy for it's cc's.:cheers:

Dolmar/Makita-6400
Stihl-MS362
Husky-359/357

All of these saws are lighter, have similar power and have metal crank cases.:cheers:

The Husky 359 is a great choice. It's a pro saw for all intents and purposes, nearly identical to the 357XP.

So you think the 391 will definetly be a better buy? Or would I be stupid for getting the older 390?

Either will be better then my MS250...I have some pretty big stuff to cut!

Your on PEI, it can't be that big. ;)

It sounds like you have a shop in mind that you want to buy from. If the dealer is okay with the possibility of having a 391 on the shelf, ask him to order it so you can try them both out. He might not want to do that, understandably, but it would help with the choosing. You could always check another Stihl dealer for a 391. There should be 5 in your neighborhood they are like Starbucks, one on every corner.

Yes, I'd rather have a 391 than a 390. But for $600 you can buy a 361. A much better option IMHO. I wouldn't pay $600 for a saw unless it was pro grade.

I have been quoting you all day! Lol, but you're right again. Even if it costs you a few more bucks, please check out the 361. More power and less weight. Plus it is a pro saw. More the money you spend on a 390 or 391, the 361 is just a small step price-wise, and a bigger step in quality IMO.

For that much money you have a lot of other options, many of them better IMHO. With that said I hear the 391 is a fine saw with good power, but quite heavy for it's cc's.:cheers:

Dolmar/Makita-6400
Stihl-MS362
Husky-359/357

All of these saws are lighter, have similar power and have metal crank cases.:cheers: The 6400 and 359 are also cheaper.

The 6400 actually weight the same as the 391 specs say - but I guess that doesn't prove much!

All the saws you listed are better quality saws compared to the 391 - but none of them is a model I would want (unless the alternative was a 390 or 391)! :givebeer:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back