MS390 v.s. MS391...slightly confused

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
See if your dealer has a used 310 for a couple hundred bux.:cheers:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Poge

Last edited:
I have yet to see a MS 310...I don't think they are available in Canada...You always have more selection in the U.S.

I honestly would take a 310 over a 390 any day of the week.

I'm just not a 390 fan. They're just too bulky and heavy for me not oo cut any faster than they do. My 660 is prolly 3lbs heavier, but it don't bother me because it cuts fast.:clap:

Yes, I'd rather have a 391 than a 390. But for $600 you can buy a 361. A much better option IMHO. I wouldn't pay $600 for a saw unless it was pro grade.

Yea like someone said, these are Canadian prices. I got a quote for a 441 @ $830.46 plus taxes and the 361 was around $750 if I remember correctly.
So that's why I am thinking hard on a MS 390. Things are fairly tight now as im about to go back to school in Sept. But once I have extra cash down the road, a 441 will definetly be in my collection!

Don't forget about the Dolmar/Makita 6401. It can be bought for $499. For $599 you can get it with the BB kit and have 84cc. 6401, 7900BB. BTW, you CANNOT buy more saw new for that money.
The reason I like Stihl is the number or local dealers. The closest Dolmar Dealer is about 5 hours away. There are a few Husky dealers but I havn't priced anything yet. I just hate having different brands kicking around, i have a MS 250 and a FS45, so i figured I would stick with Stihl.

Yea like someone said, these are Canadian prices. I got a quote for a 441 @ $830.46 plus taxes and the 361 was around $750 if I remember correctly.
So that's why I am thinking hard on a MS 390. Things are fairly tight now as im about to go back to school in Sept. But once I have extra cash down the road, a 441 will definetly be in my collection!

I know how being hard up on cash is man. I just throwed my whole paycheck on a 361 this week. If there is anyway you could, I would definetly get a 361. If you can't though, the 390 would be ok. I would'nt mess with the 391 though, the 390 is heavy enough as it is. The 361 is definetly worth another 100 buck U.S..

I know how being hard up on cash is man. I just throwed my whole paycheck on a 361 this week. If there is anyway you could, I would definetly get a 361. If you can't though, the 390 would be ok. I would'nt mess with the 391 though, the 390 is heavy enough as it is. The 361 is definetly worth another 100 buck U.S..
Actually I just got an email about one of my ATV's I have for sale...If everything goes good with that sale....I think it might be a 361 for sure, the dealer has a few in stock here. But the 390 will the back up plan.

Thanks so much for the info Everyone...very helpful!!!

I honestly would take a 310 over a 390 any day of the week.

I'm just not a 390 fan. They're just too bulky and heavy for me not oo cut any faster than they do. My 660 is prolly 3lbs heavier, but it don't bother me because it cuts fast.:clap:

Oh my stars, so bulky and heavy. I'm looking at my stihl catalog right now. MS310 powerhead weight=13.0lbs. MS390 powerhead weight=13.0lbs. The dry cleaner called. Your capri pants are now skidmark free.

I thought the 290,310,390 were all the same size and weight 13lbs.even same stroke just a different size jug and piston...

I would go for the dolmar first then the 390. imo the 391 is still too new and it is a pound heavier. you would get a whole lot more saw with the dolmar and bbkit then you would with the 390.. dont get me wrong I love stihl. I have a 361, 290 and a 7900 with the BB kit and I really like the 7900 best. and at the end of the day you will like the AV on the 7900/6400 better too. thats the main draw back to the 390. the power is there but so are the vibes.. The only problem I had with my dolmar was caused by me, it is really a solid saw and there are many places that will ship parts to you over night. I respect your concern with support and if you go with the stihl and a problem does occure you will have to wait for them to get parts and repair it and for a home owner that can be a week or more depending on the dealers work load. but between the 390 and 391. Ask yourself how long at a time will i be running the saw. no more then a day or two a week on average. I would deff. get the 390 more then that and you really need a pro saw not a 391 anyway.

Last edited:
Oh my stars, so bulky and heavy. I'm looking at my stihl catalog right now. MS310 powerhead weight=13.0lbs. MS390 powerhead weight=13.0lbs. The dry cleaner called. Your capri pants are now skidmark free.

Lol, hey man, I throw this 660 around 10 hours a day some days. :)

I don't like the fat arse it's got. The bulk and the weird balance of the 390, it just don't mesh with me.

It just cramps my style hombre.:cheers:

I don't think any dry cleaner called you...have you been going thru my clothes.:givebeer:

Last edited:
Your on PEI, it can't be that big. ;)

It sounds like you have a shop in mind that you want to buy from. If the dealer is okay with the possibility of having a 391 on the shelf, ask him to order it so you can try them both out. He might not want to do that, understandably, but it would help with the choosing. You could always check another Stihl dealer for a 391. There should be 5 in your neighborhood they are like Starbucks, one on every corner.
haha yeah im out in the country but 30 mins east there are two dealers and 40 mins west there is another two Stihl dealers. Not so many Husky Dealers...one maybe two...and i think i know of one Jonsered dealer.
By the weay, there are some pretty big trees here still, I'll take some pics of some trees I have yet to cut.

-310 and 390 are the same saw, save a decomp and a few cc's.
-i would choose a 390 over a 391 bc it is lighter and the power is the same. fuel economy isn't that important to most of us. a 391 is supposedly smoother, but the vibes of a 390 aren't that bad for the homeowner user.
-i don't know about cananda, but 361's are generally about the same cost as a 391, are lighter, and have the same hp rating.
-i would choose a 6401/6400 (seriously, any shop can get parts for a saw and repair them) over a 390/391. having a local shop is most important for warranty work

I thought the 290,310,390 were all the same size and weight 13lbs.even same stroke just a different size jug and piston...

I would go for the dolmar first then the 390. imo the 391 is still too new and it is a pound heavier. you would get a whole lot more saw with the dolmar and bbkit then you would with the 390.. dont get me wrong I love stihl. I have a 361, 290 and a 7900 with the BB kit and I really like the 7900 best. and at the end of the day you will like the AV on the 7900/6400 better too. thats the main draw back to the 390. the power is there but so are the vibes.. The only problem I had with my dolmar was caused by me, it is really a solid saw and there are many places that will ship parts to you over night. I respect your concern with support and if you go with the stihl and a problem does occure you will have to wait for them to get parts and repair it and for a home owner that can be a week or more depending on the dealers work load. but between the 390 and 391. Ask yourself how long at a time will i be running the saw. no more then a day or two a week on average. I would deff. get the 390 more then that and you really need a pro saw not a 391 anyway.

You thought right. Lol, I was trying to explain my disgust in the 390, by saying I would rather run the same saw with less power (310).

Guess I should have put a smi9ley beside it. I bet y'all think I'm a tard.:buttkick:

If it were 390 vs 391 with no other choices at the same price it would 391 all day. The strato saws in general have a lot more torque and a better overall power band than the conventional 2 strokes they replace. The fact that the 390 is $100 cheaper makes it kind of a wash for me. I have honestly never run either of these saws, though I have have run the 310 and 290 and they are nice little saws.

I'd get the 390. I have one and it works wonders. I just used it today. It pulls a 28" bar most of the time these days and has no trouble with it. It pulls the 28" just as easy as it pulled the 20" before the muff mod. It sounds and feels good. It might not be the lightest but it RUNS. It will cut whatever I ask it to and ask for more. Get the 390 and then if you get more money you can get a 440/660. The 390 will do all you need it to......:greenchainsaw:

Actually I just got an email about one of my ATV's I have for sale...If everything goes good with that sale....I think it might be a 361 for sure, the dealer has a few in stock here. But the 390 will the back up plan.

Thanks so much for the info Everyone...very helpful!!!

This sounds like a solid plan. I can't speak for the 391 other than I have handled it in the store. I own a 390, and it has done everything I have asked of it, including pulling a 28" full skip B/C in hardwood. Though not as fast as I would have liked, it's not designed for a B/C that big, but on occasion that it was needed, it did OK for me. If you have a lot of large wood, you might consider upgrading in the future, but for a general firewood/homeowner saw it will do the job. Mine feels most at home with a 20" B/C on it, it balances just right for me.

-310 and 390 are the same saw, save a decomp and a few cc's.

And maybe a coupla hundred bux if the OP can find a nice used 310. Then he can run it senseless till it blows up and put a 390 top end on it. Voila!:cheers:

BTW, I have a 310 and a 390. Bought the 310 new for just under $400 and the 390 used (like new) for $275. Don't ask why I have both.:dizzy:

Instead, just:givebeer:

Poge

Latest posts

Back