MS880r Deal....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He bought an R model specifically for milling? I wonder if it has the factory race cam? Wonder how he got his hands on a factory custom? Those factory order forms aren't just for anyone, he must have connections. Beautiful saw there!

I'm guessing so. He has other saws so this one was for a single purpose.

I'll get some pictures up tomorrow. It really is sweet.

He bought an R model specifically for milling? I wonder if it has the factory race cam? Wonder how he got his hands on a factory custom? Those factory order forms aren't just for anyone, he must have connections. Beautiful saw there!

A factory race cam? I certainly doubt that. I’m sure when he said he had to wait 3 weeks to get one from the factory meant I don’t stock ms880s and I’ll have to order one. What’s the R version of the 880? A 3/4 wrap handle?

No there is a John Deere Tractor dealer in the area that is also a big Stihl dealer. They have on display all of Stihls top saws.

A factory race cam? I certainly doubt that. I’m sure when he said he had to wait 3 weeks to get one from the factory meant I don’t stock ms880s and I’ll have to order one. What’s the R version of the 880? A 3/4 wrap handle?

I’m just saying it’s not some factory race Saw. It’s an R model that the dealer didn’t have on hand.

There is a good dealer close by, with a very experienced former saw shop owner, who I will see about getting this set up for cutting. I hate the idea of running a really long bar on this or any saw, maybe something just under 40 inches.

I'm starting to like this saw. I've never ran one, but the few times I have held one, I thought, "to damn big". Doesn't seem so big anymore.

Not that they aren’t nice saws but they are big old hogs used for stumping and really big wood. 36” and under I’d rather have my 064 any day. I’ve got an 084 that I’ve used a couple times in the last 6 years, but the need arises very infrequently. Maybe you can find a trade partner with a 6 series and some cash!

There is a good dealer close by, with a very experienced former saw shop owner, who I will see about getting this set up for cutting. I hate the idea of running a really long bar on this or any saw, maybe something just under 40 inches.

I'm starting to like this saw. I've never ran one, but the few times I have held one, I thought, "to damn big". Doesn't seem so big anymore.

I wouldn’t consider anything under 50” it’s a big heavy head that suck to carry these saws are made for big wood and long bars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have made similar cash+pistol trade offers over the past year for 660 and 661s. No deal. Around here with so much wood to cut, most saws being offered for sale are rancher saws, and people want nearly new prices for a used but mostly clean saw. Certainly this 880 is more then I bargained for, but I'm not doing anything with it till next spring. All my wood has been cut and stacked for the year. Sell or keep, I will decide next April or May.

Not that they aren’t nice saws but they are big old hogs used for stumping and really big wood. 36” and under I’d rather have my 064 any day. I’ve got an 084 that I’ve used a couple times in the last 6 years, but the need arises very infrequently. Maybe you can find a trade partner with a 6 series and some cash!

That's the newest version, having the stamped stainless muffler. This saw requires a MS361 coil to get rid of the rediculously low rev limit. It also has the more restrictive carb and intake boot. Replacement is not required with porting, but is recommended. I haven't personally made that change so don't recall is it was earlier MS880 parts or 088 parts used.

That's the newest version, having the stamped stainless muffler. This saw requires a MS361 coil to get rid of the rediculously low rev limit. It also has the more restrictive carb and intake boot. Replacement is not required with porting, but is recommended. I haven't personally made that change so don't recall is it was earlier MS880 parts or 088 parts used.

So you have to swap out the coil even on the race model with all the bells and whistles, or is that bell missing from this particular model?

Back