Stihl MS 261 VS Husqvarna 346 XP VS Dolmar PS 5105

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like you have a too heavy bar on that saw! ;)

That is a rebadged Oregon Power-Match bar, the laminated Husky ones are much lighter, and more suitable on a light and nimble saw.

woah woah wait a minute.
Are you talking about the bar with replacable tip on the picture?
It tilts the saw about 5 to 10 degrees forward when holding the saw by top handle but is it a really a rebadged Oregon bar? I did not know that.

The 261 is supposed to be out in May here. I get my Arctic 261 next week. Area rep left one at the dealership for me. Sold my 346xpg today.

To me, the 261 is a totally uninteresting model, after seing the specs and how it is built! That saw will never handle like a 50cc saw should! :msp_cursing:

woah woah wait a minute.
Are you talking about the bar with replacable tip on the picture?
It tilts the saw about 5 to 10 degrees forward when holding the saw by top handle but is it a really a rebadged Oregon bar? I did not know that.

Look at the rivet pattern on the tip - there is no doubt that it is an Oregon PM.

Looks like you have a too heavy bar on that saw! ;)

That is a rebadged Oregon Power-Match bar, the laminated Husky ones are much lighter, and more suitable on a light and nimble saw.

Husky is making bars now? I thought Husky didn't make bars or chains, learn something new everyday..

To me, the 261 is a totally uninteresting model, after seing the specs and how it is built! That saw will never handle like a 50cc saw should! :msp_cursing:

How is it built ole buddy, please enlighten me, BTW it handles something like a 50cc saw, wait, it is a 50cc saw, I'll be dayummm,LOL

Husky is making bars now? I thought Husky didn't make bars or chains, learn something new everyday..

They have done that for decades, but that factory (in Norway) is not up to the demand. :msp_wink:

I have notised that most smaller saws have those bars in the US as well these days, but not those that use 3/8" lo-pro. The new Techlite bars are made there as well, but no ordinary RSN ones.

They have done that for decades, but that factory (in Norway) is not up to the demand. :msp_wink:

I have notised that most smaller saws have those bars in the US as well these days, but not those that use 3/8" lo-pro. The new Techlite bars are made there as well, but no ordinary RSN ones.

So these bars are manufactured in a Husky factory here in the US, cool, we need the jobs.....

I like and respect the Troll, but how in the hell he has all these unfounded opinions of the 261 is a mystery.lol I have run one every day now for a week (1/2 day on Sun) and it has gotten stronger after 15-20 tanks. I've rotated purposely between it and the 346 and it sure doesn't give up much in the handling department. We've been in a small plot of standing ash, clearing it and sawing it up into firewood.
Most of it has been 16 -24" and the 261's extra torque/wider power band has become more noticeable and pleasant the more you run it. Also the longer run time between fillup's. As much as I respect the Troll this is one comparison were he is totally unqualified to make the assumptions he has about this saw. Can't judge one until you've run one in real wood. I actually think the oldest son called and had the dealer order him one. I've had a 310 and the 261is a stronger saw than it, and there is no comparison between the handling. The 261 with and 18" bar is up a 390's hiney, very close.
To continue to bash the saw based on fondling a manual or looking at the screen is becoming ludicrous. This saw may have caused Troll's massive memory bank to overload and short circuit.

Tommy, you need to get him checked into rehab, play him some blues on that axe, find him some real Virginia shine, keep him in the shade until he comes out of this tailspin.

I like and respect the Troll, but how in the hell he has all these unfounded opinions of the 261 is a mystery.lol I have run one every day now for a week (1/2 day on Sun) and it has gotten stronger after 15-20 tanks. I've rotated purposely between it and the 346 and it sure doesn't give up much in the handling department. We've been in a small plot of standing ash, clearing it and sawing it up into firewood.
Most of it has been 16 -24" and the 261's extra torque/wider power band has become more noticeable and pleasant the more you run it. Also the longer run time between fillup's. As much as I respect the Troll this is one comparison were he is totally unqualified to make the assumptions he has about this saw. Can't judge one until you've run one in real wood. I actually think the oldest son called and had the dealer order him one. I've had a 310 and the 261is a stronger saw than it, and there is no comparison between the handling. The 261 with and 18" bar is up a 390's hiney, very close.
To continue to bash the saw based on fondling a manual or looking at the screen is becoming ludicrous. This saw may have caused Troll's massive memory bank to overload and short circuit.

Tommy, you need to get him checked into rehab, play him some blues on that axe, find him some real Virginia shine, keep him in the shade until he comes out of this tailspin.

LOLOL, ole Troll isn't gonna give that 261 any credit, he can't, he works for Husqvarna in the sales department. Too bad for him I work for Stihl in the sales department, yup the uhhhh No.1 department in the world,hehe

He posts what he does because people like yourself fall for it every time. All in good fun really, some just take it literally. I would have thought those of great and superior intellect would have figured that out by now.:msp_wink:

Too bad it's a position that husky will never be in. While they take their quality down to meet big box retail positions, I'm hearing Stihl is focused on eliminating the lower end saws like the 170 and is going to actually start there line at 249.00 in the not too distant future and raise the bar for entry level saw quality.

It's hard to deal with all the envy when your number one.

I would have thought those of great and superior intellect would have figured that out by now. Andyshine

Now you know that would leave me out right there. I'm nothing but a simple firewood hack, with a wore out body and faltering intellect, just ask my boys they'll tell you that dad doesn't know much.lol

LOLOL, ole Troll isn't gonna give that 261 any credit, he can't, he works for Husqvarna in the sales department. Too bad for him I work for Stihl in the sales department, yup the uhhhh No.1 department in the world,hehe

It is a wide and quite heavy saw, with an inboard clutch, that puts the bar further than necessary from the centre of mass. It also has an unessasary heavy air filtration system, but that is just a detail. It actually looks like an improved version of the 5100S, that is a proven not well handling 50cc saw, regarding weight distribution - not good at all! :msp_blink:

You don't have to use the MS261 to know that!

Too bad it's a position that husky will never be in. While they take their quality down to meet big box retail positions, I'm hearing Stihl is focused on eliminating the lower end saws like the 170 and is going to actually start there line at 249.00 in the not too distant future and raise the bar for entry level saw quality. .

Not sure about that one, the consumer market, is the market right now. Hell Stihl sells more trimmers and blowers than it does chainsaws. Stihl will never get out of the homeowner market, that's just bad business, too many sales would be lost.

Back