Stihl MS 261 VS Husqvarna 346 XP VS Dolmar PS 5105

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No defect. If you don't see it then we're just not on the same page. I've looked at like 6 of them now and they all have it and none didn't.

No Mike, you are right...I see the defect. It's no big deal reallly.
The day I cut my finger pushing on the stop button, I promise to sue Husqvarna for defective craftmanship...until then, I'll consider myself the lucky owner of a grade A 346 XP.

I've got to celebrate that.:kilt:

I never said anything about a "defect".

OK I'll drop it.
You did not say defect, I forgot what you said. You found a flaw, it is true, there is a flaw.
If that's all the 346XP has on its negative board, then it's got to be the perfect saw as of 2011.

So far, the little I have experienced of it...it looks very well debugged to me.

what kind of lens is that that enables you to take photos that close up of things?

100 mm prime macro from Canon. It can get much closer but then it would have proven your point much bettter as the gap would have looked like the grand canyon...did not want to convey that, sorry.

Here--the plastic on this ridge. I have checked it on multiple 346's...the plastic sits out slightly too far on the outside and doesn't fully cover the metal outcropping on the inside...

ZBLmol.jpg

Not obsessive or anything, i swear...LOL...

There needs to be some clarance there, for the AV to work properly, but I am not really sure that is what you "talk" about? That saw looks perfectly normal, btw! :msp_smile:

No defect. If you don't see it then we're just not on the same page. I've looked at like 6 of them now and they all have it and none didn't.

To prove you right Mike, I pushed the casing as far as I could out of its gong and used the very worst angle at maximum magnificatiion.
It looks like this.
View attachment 173176

:msp_scared::msp_scared::msp_scared::msp_scared::msp_scared:
Sawtroll is not gonna like that .:msp_huh:
:msp_biggrin: No, I know he'a big guy.
Remember that it's all in the eye of the beholder and our mind always acts as a deformed lens to bend the truth in order to accomodate our will.

If we can bend pictures, imagine how we can bend the perception of reality...scary stuff.
I believe Wars start with misperceptions or misinterpretatons...nothing to do with us, we are all friends here (or so I assume).

The best all terrain, all around general purpose chainsaw IN THE WOoooRLD.
And I still can't figure out how to copy and paste the link so that the picture appear.
i give up.

View attachment 173196

Last edited:
oregone, thanks for the photos :) ! tried to rep you but i have to spread it.

My point certainly wasn't to complain; I'm generally very pleased with the fit and finish on all of the saws I own. My point was just that even the best are imperfect. I guess the efco's are significantly worse than the husky, but if you look hard enough, you'll find things wrong everywhere.

Just this week someone put a nice ding in my car door...arghh!

oregone, thanks for the photos :) ! tried to rep you but i have to spread it.

My point certainly wasn't to complain; I'm generally very pleased with the fit and finish on all of the saws I own. My point was just that even the best are imperfect. I guess the efco's are significantly worse than the husky, but if you look hard enough, you'll find things wrong everywhere.

Just this week someone put a nice ding in my car door...arghh!

If it can make you feel better, 2 winters ago, my son in law decided on his own to be nice and take the snow off my immaculate black Nissan Maxima.
He used a metal shovel to do that.
No need to tell you the state of the paint below the snow.
Car looks like it tried to mess with an angry cheetah.
I did not fix it..it's life. What the heck...it gives perspective to material thingss, all is ephemeral in the grand scheme.
One difference between men is how well we bear those marks, with humour, pride, anger or sadness. I try to opt for first choice (rarely succeeds)
Sh1t, do I sound like I am standing on a soap box or what?...that should be my avatar...a dude standing on a soap box or that little kitten (me on internet, me in real life)..That was funny.
Thanks for the replies Mike.

why are you posting pics with my saw ?

:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:
That's funny.
You caught me...I thought at first that you meant "the PICTURE of my saw"
I thought "shoot! did I actually picked the count's picture and post it instead of mine???
Felt very stupid

Then I recognized the blue tarp of our pool behind and realized you had me...that's what made me laugh. You really had me for a second.

Last edited:
Pictures are great.
You have a big Dolmar, or rather a Makita in blue there. Is that the 64cc?
How does it compare with the 346 in terms of handling feel and power?

The Dolkita is just 64cc., I generally am cutting up tops and it has plenty of power for what I need it to do. Comparing the two in handling is like comparing a Corvette to a Suburban.

Get some more fuel through that 346. I still has some "waking up" to do. Mine took around 8-10 tanks to really come alive. Congrats on a really fine saw purchace!

I now have about 5 tanks through it.:chainsawguy:
Well if you are looking at the weather today, we are getting at least 10" today. The snow Wisconsin has got this season has put hold on the wood cutting. BTW, I just spent 10 in a skid steer clearing snow at a local hospital.

Everyone has their reasons for liking one saw over another. I tend to like designs that are more simple with less clutter and easier to work on. Im not really old school but I dont like things that are not necessary. Im sure the 346 isnt too bad to take apart but I just dont like the way its laid out under the hood.
I know you like comparing things but its like when I bought my 01 SS camaro it had a lot of clutter under the hood so I removed all the emissions crap and it made a much better looking bay. Pistols I like glock cause its a genius design but is very basic and easy to work on and very reliable. Not bashing the 346 tho cause it looks like a very nice saw and should last you many years.

:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:
That's funny.
You caught me...I thought at first that you meant "the PICTURE of my saw"
I thought "shoot! did I actually picked the count's picture and post it instead of mine???
Felt very stupid

Then I recognized the blue tarp of our pool behind and realized you had me...that's what made me laugh. You really had me for a second.

man, I stared a thread in order to help you post your pics: this much I enjoy pics
:)

Everyone has their reasons for liking one saw over another. I tend to like designs that are more simple with less clutter and easier to work on. Im not really old school but I dont like things that are not necessary. Im sure the 346 isnt too bad to take apart but I just dont like the way its laid out under the hood.
I know you like comparing things but its like when I bought my 01 SS camaro it had a lot of clutter under the hood so I removed all the emissions crap and it made a much better looking bay. Pistols I like glock cause its a genius design but is very basic and easy to work on and very reliable. Not bashing the 346 tho cause it looks like a very nice saw and should last you many years.

:msp_w00t::clap:
That's why I love these conversations. What you say is very relevant and I completely get it. A good tool is one that is reduced to only what it needs in order to operate, everything else should be removed. In this lawyer's world (emissions, safety, etc...) there is always a bunch of unecessary clutter that adds weight and more things that can go wrong, not to mention overzealous engineers that always add and never remove (I know, I am one of those guy and even if I fight it, technology races always demands more junk)
I found the carburator guts of the 346XP not too busy but I am sure they have a couple extra hose and reflows, etc..that are not that necessary (it's emission regulation that adds that crap).
For the Glock, you must be a guy that likes to take things apart. Can't beat the glock for that unless you can deal with a revolver, that's even simpler than a Glock.
Me I don't care too much for the square barrel cover design. I think they should have rounded it. I love the dan Wesson 1911 bobtail, it's a beautiful gun.

I tried a bunch of guns and you know what I had the best fun with?...a long barrel 22. You get a browning and put a green laser scope on it for the heck of it (no need to aim with the slots but you do have to calibrate the laser). At the range, it's the funnest thing to use if you like precision, well, for a gun at least, no gun is really precise past 50 yards unless it's a long barrel with small bore.

The 1911 Colt 45 , man that thing is like a cannon but the bullet seeems to travel just like a cannon ball too, wherever it wants, even when using a sand bag. I could not get it to shoot where I wanted unles it was below 20 yards. For close range only, a defense weapon for destruction, nasty little tool.

OK, enough talking for me..I passed the 25000 word limit, sorry.
Hey, maybe you'll like to see a picture of another kind of toy.
I hope this is allowed.

View attachment 173240

:msp_w00t::clap:
That's why I love these conversations. What you say is very relevant and I completely get it. A good tool is one that is reduced to only what it needs in order to operate, everything else should be removed. In this lawyer's world (emissions, safety, etc...) there is always a bunch of unecessary clutter that adds weight and more things that can go wrong, not to mention overzealous engineers that always add and never remove (I know, I am one of those guy and even if I fight it, technology races always demands more junk)
I found the carburator guts of the 346XP not too busy but I am sure they have a couple extra hose and reflows, etc..that are not that necessary (it's emission regulation that adds that crap).
For the Glock, you must be a guy that likes to take things apart. Can't beat the glock for that unless you can deal with a revolver, that's even simpler than a Glock.
Me I don't care too much for the square barrel cover design. I think they should have rounded it. I love the dan Wesson 1911 bobtail, it's a beautiful gun.

I tried a bunch of guns and you know what I had the best fun with?...a long barrel 22. You get a browning and put a green laser scope on it for the heck of it (no need to aim with the slots but you do have to calibrate the laser). At the range, it's the funnest thing to use if you like precision, well, for a gun at least, no gun is really precise past 50 yards unless it's a long barrel with small bore.

The 1911 Colt 45 , man that thing is like a cannon but the bullet seeems to travel just like a cannon ball too, wherever it wants, even when using a sand bag. I could not get it to shoot where I wanted unles it was below 20 yards. For close range only, a defense weapon for destruction, nasty little tool.

OK, enough talking for me..I passed the 25000 word limit, sorry.
Hey, maybe you'll like to see a picture of another kind of toy.
I hope this is allowed.

View attachment 173240

Oh I get where your at with the 1911 it was what started my love of handguns my first pistol was a Kimber team match II. I sold it wanting to step up to an ever nicer 1911 but cant bring myself to spend the money now. The Dan Wesson CBOB is also a nice looking 1911. 1911's are not too bad to take apart either and its a great design not as reliable as a glock but most are set for tight tolerances for target shooting. I would value a 1911 over a glock but every handgun owner should have at least 1 glock. The square slide doesnt bother me like it use to.
I think I might get a .22 next cause the expensive ammo hurts the wallet a bit more to shoot. Much easier to control the recoil and trigger on a target .22 the .45 can be really accurate if you can control the recoil and keep from jerking the trigger.

Sorry to get off topic

From an engineer standpoint (I design machines for a living in R&D),
Efco is nothing like the 346XP in terms of fit and finish. I don't understand it. The way the plastic parts are designed and molded... I guess they have the innards down pat but in my experience, the way parts on designed on the outside, the way they fit together and look is often a reflection of the spirit in which the innards have been designed too.

You know what? I agree. Although I can't say I've really looked at clearances with chainsaw plastic fit, I'm the exact opposite with cars. You can tell who takes the extra care by looking at panel gaps. Check out a Honda and they are perfect. Look at a Daewoo, garbage. Even our Holdens (GM) and Fords are all over the shop but have improved significantly. Sad part is that the later Hyundais I've looked at are kicking the Holden and Ford's arses with build quality, despite still remaining a gutless, unimpressive piece of snot. With a good warranty and cheap price tag however...
I saw a video of the Audi factory last night and they measure every panel gap with a guage, but even more importantly actually fix it if it is outside of specs :)

Last edited:
I want to thank all the people that participated to this thread.
It was quite some fun for me even if we wandered way off track sometimes.

Regarding the gap by the stop button, I have been thinking about that and I think now or rather suspect that the mold designer forced the tolerance to the outside of the cavity where your finger pulls the choke or press the stop button so that the plastic edge can never cut your thumb. The metal is soft and rounded while the plastic edge sharp. It's smart design actually...just in the spirit of the 346 XP...thought out through and very thoroughly.
Can't wait to actually put it to real work....right now, I am just staring at the darn thing and itching to go cut wood (weather sucks here):mad:

Latest posts

Back