To the Stihl dealers here - do you mind it when...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gonna play devils advocate here a little. So we are not supposed to hit/tap the flywheel at all, or anything on a saw......but it is ok to tap/hit the crank so the flywheel comes off? What about the bearings? The force against the bearings maybe small, but it is still putting force on it, and at a bad angle. Lastly, why was stihl so cheap as to not design the flywheel to be threaded, so a puller can be used?

Gonna play devils advocate here a little. So we are not supposed to hit/tap the flywheel at all, or anything on a saw......but it is ok to tap/hit the crank so the flywheel comes off? What about the bearings? The force against the bearings maybe small, but it is still putting force on it, and at a bad angle. Lastly, why was stihl so cheap as to not design the flywheel to be threaded, so a puller can be used?

That's why you hold it by the Flywheel... the crank is pushed away from you. It's a specific WIDE FAT taper. Try that on an 026/36/44 etc, and you will damage the bearings.

That's why you hold it by the Flywheel... the crank is pushed away from you. It's a specific WIDE FAT taper. Try that on an 026/36/44 etc, and you will damage the bearings.

Sorry for hitting a nerve here. I just don't see why stihl wouldn't use the conventional design where a flywheel puller can be used. I know you have seen a fair share of flywheels that are on really tight and make a pop sound when using the flywheel tool.

You'll have to ask Stihl that... Seems to work fine, although I don't like hitiing anything with hammer.

The "tight" designs that use a puller are a long narrow taper... 029 don't "pop".

To have a threaded puller (stihl style), you need steel insert in the Flywheel.. Cost...

Last edited:
To answer the OPs question. If a guy needs a few simple things done and brings in a clean saw, I have no issues with that at all. I actually like it!!

What I have a problem with, and you can't believe how often it happens, is the guy who wants to stand there playing 50 questions as to why his saw won't run right! I had one guy actually tell me that he didn't want to pay me to work on it, while trying to get me to give him the exact reason that it wouldn't run right, without me seeing the saw.

I work alone, so sometimes it is really important for me to use my time as wisely as I can!

There are also the ones that come in and buy a spark plug. Next week, buy an air filter. Next week, buy a fuel filter. Next week, ask you if you can look at their saw to see why it still doesn't run right even though they just replaced everything they know how to.

If you need a flywheel pulled and don't have the puller, bring it in. If you need a P7V check and have it ready to check, bring it in.

I've had a customers who has become a friend of mine do a top end rebuild on my bench while I was working, and I helped him when he needed it.

What I don't like is the guy who doesn't think I deserve to make a living, but he can't do what I can, doesn't know what I know, and doesn't have any tools.

To answer the OPs question. If a guy needs a few simple things done and brings in a clean saw, I have no issues with that at all. I actually like it!!

What I have a problem with, and you can't believe how often it happens, is the guy who wants to stand there playing 50 questions as to why his saw won't run right! I had one guy actually tell me that he didn't want to pay me to work on it, while trying to get me to give him the exact reason that it wouldn't run right, without me seeing the saw.

I work alone, so sometimes it is really important for me to use my time as wisely as I can!

There are also the ones that come in and buy a spark plug. Next week, buy an air filter. Next week, buy a fuel filter. Next week, ask you if you can look at their saw to see why it still doesn't run right even though they just replaced everything they know how to.

If you need a flywheel pulled and don't have the puller, bring it in. If you need a P7V check and have it ready to check, bring it in.

I've had a customers who has become a friend of mine do a top end rebuild on my bench while I was working, and I helped him when he needed it.

What I don't like is the guy who doesn't think I deserve to make a living, but he can't do what I can, doesn't know what I know, and doesn't have any tools.

Great post there and oh so true, it happens alot. I don't mind at all helping out a nice decent customer but pricks, bone heads, tight wads and especailly the bas-ard that knows more than me, oh I love them.

Once had a man looking over my shoulder while I was putting AV bushings in his saw. He kept telling me are you sure thats how they go, I kept saying yup, thats how they go. One his third attempt to ask me if thats how they go I politely told him who's skinning this fu-king cat, me or you. He got the message, went and sat down and I finished his saw. Sometimes being blunt and bold is the only way to deal with those that know more than you..

Great post there and oh so true, it happens alot. I don't mind at all helping out a nice decent customer but pricks, bone heads, tight wads and especailly the bas-ard that knows more than me, oh I love them.

Once had a man looking over my shoulder while I was putting AV bushings in his saw. He kept telling me are you sure thats how they go, I kept saying yup, thats how they go. One his third attempt to ask me if thats how they go I politely told him who's skinning this fu-king cat, me or you. He got the message, went and sat down and I finished his saw. Sometimes being blunt and bold is the only way to deal with those that know more than you..
I would have liked to look over your shoulder some times........:biggrinbounce2: :laugh: :laugh: :ices_rofl:

I would have liked to look over your shoulder some times........:biggrinbounce2: :laugh: :laugh: :ices_rofl:

Thats cool long as ya hush while I'm working. If ya start yaking I'm gonna send ya packing,LOLOL

Also Troll get this, this happens alot too. Man brings in a BR600 blower Friday morning. Says it was running fine and all the sudden cut off. I'm like ok. I asked how old is it, he goes I bought it this year. I'm like cool, under warranty. I said where'd ya buy it, he goes I bought it here, I'm like even better. I take the serail number and look on my list of sales and ut oh, that number is not on my list, not good. I tell him, buddy you didn't buy that blower here, its not on my list. He goes oh thats right, I bought it over at so and so in Prince William county. I go ok. I hop on Stihl e-sales and run the serial number, no registration. I call Stihl and ask what dealer was this blower sent to, they tell me a dealer in Fairfax county. I'm like thank you. I tell the guy you didn't buy that blower over in Prince William county either. He's like awwwwwwwww I thought I did. I said well where did you buy it, he can't recall now. I said welp unless you can show me proof of sale there is no warranty on this blower, the warranty is only good to the man that bought it FIRST, not the second hand buyer at the pawn shop or from who ever. He's like ok. I hand him a tag for his name and phone to tag the blower. He goes aren't you going to fix it right now. I said buddy look around, see these other units here, they were here before you came in, this isn't McDonalds. He laffs, fills out the tag and leaves.

I tore his blower apart Saturday evening, oh my, busted cam gear, he has a nice bill coming. I woulda cut him some slack but since he lied and tried to pull a sneaky on ole Daddy he's gotsa payyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy,LOLOL

Last edited:
^^ :D nice having some nice straight books to check on. The world's full of chancers. Tell us what he says when he sees the bill ;)

When I'm pulling a flywheel I usually take up the slack in the bearings by wedging the flywheel up off the crankcase with bits of wood, and putting a small centrepunch in the machining centre of the crank. One sharp tap with a light hammer usually gets the flywheel off.

Thats cool long as ya hush while I'm working. If ya start yaking I'm gonna send ya packing,LOLOL

Also Troll get this, this happens alot too. Man brings in a BR600 blower Friday morning. Says it was running fine and all the sudden cut off. I'm like ok. I asked how old is it, he goes I bought it this year. I'm like cool, under warranty. I said where'd ya buy it, he goes I bought it here, I'm like even better. I take the serail number and look on my list of sales and ut oh, that number is not on my list, not good. I tell him, buddy you didn't buy that blower here, its not on my list. He goes oh thats right, I bought it over at so and so in Prince William county. I go ok. I hop on Stihl e-sales and run the serial number, no registration. I call Stihl and ask what dealer was this blower sent to, they tell me a dealer in Fairfax county. I'm like thank you. I tell the guy you didn't buy that blower over in Prince William county either. He's like awwwwwwwww I thought I did. I said well where did you buy it, he can't recall now. I said welp unless you can show me proof of sale there is no warranty on this blower, the warranty is only good to the man that bought it FIRST, not the second hand buyer at the pawn shop or from who ever. He's like ok. I hand him a tag for his name and phone to tag the blower. He goes aren't you going to fix it right now. I said buddy look around, see these other units here, they were here before you came in, this isn't McDonalds. He laffs, fills out the tag and leaves.

I tore his blower apart Saturday evening, oh my, busted cam gear, he has a nice bill coming. I woulda cut him some slack but since he lied and tried to pull a sneaky on ole Daddy he's gotsa payyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy,LOLOL

Those cams are plastic right? Any guess why it broke? Even though I love my BR600 and the power is addicting, the thing scares the poop out of me with everything being so small like the push rods and stuff being plastic like the cams.

Those cams are plastic right? Any guess why it broke? Even though I love my BR600 and the power is addicting, the thing scares the poop out of me with everything being so small like the push rods and stuff being plastic like the cams.

I think they are made out of plastic and nylon. This is the first one I ever seen break. As a matter of fact the gear didn't break, the de-compression set up built onto the gear itself snapped off. In the process the intake push rod must have got hung in it and it got bent. Parts aren't gonna be much to fix it but that tear down and re-assembly, yup thats gonna cost him....

I think they are made out of plastic and nylon. This is the first one I ever seen break. As a matter of fact the gear didn't break, the de-compression set up built onto the gear itself snapped off. In the process the intake push rod must have got hung in it and it got bent. Parts aren't gonna be much to fix it but that tear down and re-assembly, yup thats gonna cost him....

Gotcha, have fun!!:biggrinbounce2:

I would help anyone that needed help as long as they acted like the would appericate the help.Remove clutch, flywheel, etc. No problem, If they are an a$$ then they can find someone else to do it for them. I enjoy helping people out when they need it.

^^ :D nice having some nice straight books to check on. The world's full of chancers. Tell us what he says when he sees the bill ;)

When I'm pulling a flywheel I usually take up the slack in the bearings by wedging the flywheel up off the crankcase with bits of wood, and putting a small centrepunch in the machining centre of the crank. One sharp tap with a light hammer usually gets the flywheel off.

Sigh.... Try that on a real saw... and it won't work... unless you beat the living daylights out of it.

[hangs head, reaches for a another beer]

Last edited:
Lol at recognizing my new dealer from his post in this thread. Good guy, good attitude, and very knowledgeable about saws. I've only had the occasion to spend a few bucks there since I met him a couple weeks ago, but he probably doesn't realize that he'll sell a couple of saws before the end of the year strictly based on the excellent first impression he made. By a quick finger count, I had been to 5 other Stihl dealers and 2 Husky dealers so far this year, and found every one of them not worthy of my business. It's good to find a decent dealer in my area, and even better to realize that he is an AS geek like me. :cheers:

I was messing with an 036 with a broken crankshaft. Ended up buying a like new crankcase, crank and all, for $50. The local stihl dealer popped the flywheel off for $5. Took about 30 seconds and he stuck the money in his pocket. Seemed like a fair deal to both of us.

I'm SHOCKED!

We call those "tips".

Last edited:
Back