What's the deal with EPA phase 2

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i love my late 70's ashley stove smoke dragon sure it is! kills the skeeters sleeping in the bushes and keeps me warm paid 100$ for it and it can hold a fire for a while.
epa? whats that the epa was still in diapers when the stove was built. :clap:
had one of those,,for the price,,it was a good stove...

Good point Olyman. No doubt everyone has different price tolerance when it comes to buying a new stove. But ELITIST stove? What is an ELITIST stove? Remember my mothers Earthstove? My parents bought that stove new in 1979 for $600. Would that have been an ELITIST stove in your opinion? Because with only a 5% increase per year, that stove would cost $3,309 today (Blaze King cost us $3000). And I can tell you with 100% certainty, that stove is not in the same league as the Blaze King. My mothers disappearing wood pile would tell you the same thing.

I don't consider the Blaze King an ELITIST stove and I sure don't consider myself an ELITIST (I know you didn't call me one). How could I be an ELITIST, I'm just a meat cutter. Like with most things you buy in life, you get what you pay for and quality isn't cheap. But as a common working person, I can tell you I should have bought that stove years ago. It really is worth every hard earned penny we saved for it...and it took us years to save enough money to buy it.
I called you a elitist??? I spoke of stoves. its hefty that likes to put words in people mouths,,and speak for all the lovely gov hacks........as spidey refered to tons of gov agencys,,ALLLL uncontrolled,,because they are led by more gov hacks.....

Well, the non-EPA certified firebox has been hung with the incorrect idiom of "smoke dragon" on this board... so what's wrong with olyman hanging an equally incorrect idiom on the EPA certified firebox?? I actually like the idea of "elitist" stove; that way the EPA doesn't need to be mentioned at all when describing the "type" of firebox... we'll all just know what the poster is referencing.

I'm goin' with it...
I have a smoke dragon furnace in the basement, and an elitist stove in the shop :p

And there's some truth to what he says anyway. It ain't true of all elitist stove owners, but goin' on the comments, there are a few that seem to look down on those using, or preferring, a smoke dragon... almost as though they see them as a lower form of human. Heck, I've been accused of commuting all sorts of evil to the environment and human health... by people who have never met me or seen my chimney with the smoke dragon in operation. Neither idiom is correct, but what's good for the gander...

Elitist - A person who believes that they are superior to others because of their intellect, social status, wealth, or other factors.

So... "elitist" stove it is... I like it‼

I called you a elitist??? I spoke of stoves. its hefty that likes to put words in people mouths,,and speak for all the lovely gov hacks........as spidey refered to tons of gov agencys,,ALLLL uncontrolled,,because they are led by more gov hacks.....

Have a hard time reading do ya? You might want to re-read the part where I said, "I know you didn't call me one."

Anyway, it's a good day, kinda like Christmas come early for me! Spidey says the name must stick...so be it. It might be the only thing in my current or future life that I can call ELITIST. And my late father (also a meat cutter) is LHAO at the notion that his Earthstove is ELITIST as well since, in today's money, it cost more than the Blaze King (and doesn't even have an expensive cat).

Well, got to quit playing on the net. Must go tell all my wild game customers that I own an ELITIST stove. There's going to be a lot of laughing at work today. Thanks Spidey and Olyman:)

I've got one of those elitist stoves too - my US Stoves Magnolia welded construction stove cost $850 several years ago. I bought it at TSC, where all of the elite shop, and hauled it home in the rusted out 4cyl Chevy S10 that I paid $200 for. The performance of that stove has been fantastic and I expect it to last for many more years.

The cost in materials & labor for adding a secondary combustion manifold is peanuts. Designing and developing it takes some time. The real cost is in getting it tested. However, while a young and innovative market with a lot of small vendors is neat, it is often very difficult for a prospective customer to find out if the product really performs as advertised without 3rd party performance testing of any kind. The tests these stoves are subjected to at least shows one aspect of their performance in a quantifiable way.

The more y'all post... the more I learn what an elitist I really am. (still laughing)
No no, it's not you who is elitist, it's your stove. All this time I had no idea my stove harbored such attitudes. I suspect it started during the summer months when it sat down there brooding with nothing to do. It probably started talking to my old PC built out of scrap, the cast off printer or the WalMart futon. As soon as this warm snap ends I'm going to have to fill it full of hickory and teach it a lesson.

I suspect it started during the summer months when it sat down there brooding with nothing to do. It probably started talking to my old PC built out of scrap, the cast off printer or the WalMart futon. As soon as this warm snap ends I'm going to have to fill it full of hickory and teach it a lesson.

"fill it full of hickory and teach it a lesson"

Now come on if this does not make you smile a little you are having one heck of a bad day!!!

if you read enough..youll find,,that the epa lovers on this site,,nearly all own "elitist" stoves..the ones with super efficiency,,and cats......that's ok,if that's what they want. the problem is,,they are of the opinion,,that if you dont own one,,and put it in,,you need the epa to be beating on your door...many have ridiculed spidey for the daka stove he got....kinda like the stihl hardcores on here,,if you don't own one,,you aint a ..capish???

Wow, sounds at minimum your a EPA stove stereotyper! Maybe even an EPA stove hater.

know whtas funny,,you only have to read the comments,,of those that own super high efficiency stoves,,being called elitists,,and you can see who thinks they are special,,and above everyone else,,just as spidey listed the dictionary definition....tear that up,,del the brain dead....

That's flat false.
Before the EPA got involved there were literally thousands of stove builders... lots of small business, little welding and fabrication shops, and whatnot. The "good ones", the really good ones were semi-custom built in little shops, and were sold pennies-on-the dollar compared to the "regulated" stoves we have to choose from now. And yeah, there were el-cheap-o stoves also. The first EPA regulations destroyed the ability of those little shops to compete... why do you think the biggest manufactures today are on-board with the new "proposed" EPA regulations?? They see it as an opportunity to narrow the field of competition.
Open your friggin' eyes girl.

Are you taking into consideration inflation? I paid $800 + for a Shrader in 1985. Then there was the cost of stove pipe too. Gas was what? $2 a gallon or so? That went into my $18,000 mobile home. I'd say with inflation, the EPA stoves are at the same cost as the regular--good quality stoves were. My "elitist leftist communistic double ott approved" stove ran around $1400 with pipe and installation. There was a discount because the house builder did the purchasing. It's a Quadrafire and so elitist that Olymon would not be able to see the top of the pipe! I do not recall thousands of brands being made in this part of the world. The stores carried the same brands as they do today. My folks installed an Earthstove in the 1970s, and it was not inexpensive.

There were thin walled el cheapo stoves back then that were in the discount stores, and some still are, that ran around a couple of hundred dollars.

How come the "little guys" failed to adapt? Did they price themselves out of the competition? Were they unable to do anything different? That is important in today's world. Seems too easy to just blame the EPA and heathen elitists. Sometimes "little guys" have a bad track record of not filling orders in a timely manner. Or their work isn't as pretty as the usual brands. I want something that is nice looking in my living room--not some old box.

It would be wise to do a cost/benefit analysis before even considering heating with wood. As I've said before, it probably pencils out to equal what heating with the electric heaters would be in my part of the universe--not talking about Olywor oops Iowy.

You can still get an "outfitter" stove that is made for elk camps etc. for pretty cheap. I'm surprised you haven't done so Some assembly is required.

I realize the EPA stoves are threatening to people who won't read the instructions or install them properly, or get the correct size. It's so much easier to blame somebody else for one's own failures. So because folks are incapable of operating EPA stoves, by all means, you are correct, let's go back to the good ol' days when we could breathe in good ol' air laced with lead and whatever anybody wanted to burn, let's return to the days of dumping sewage and industrial waste into our rivers, because real men never got sick from that, and let's allow smoking anywhere a smoker wants to go. To hell with anybody else, right? All that is important is YOU.

slowp,
You are aware there is over 500 known Federal Government agencies... correct??
Did you know there ain't an official list?? There ain't a single person in Federal Government who knows the total number of agencies... not a single person. Funding is done by department... not agencies. There is also an unknown number of "private" agencies, hired by our government.

How can you say, "Speaking from experience"?? How could you possibly have personal experience with even 5% of them??

Silliness‼

So, you are saying that reducing the federal budget by 10% each year has no effect on the size of the gubmint? And why would I memorize the gubmint agency list? Was that part of my job? To sit and memorize a list of agencies? Come on, you make no sense. What is a private agency?

Gee, tell the Forest Service that they have not been affected by any budget reductions. You'll get laughed out the door.

about the elitist stoves and how people look down on people with smoke dragons.
come to my state we are all poor with smoke dragons including me.
tell yah good one. had gotten some apple boxes from grocery store,,to send a kit I make in.. got a few....got them home,,and there were separating layers of blueboard for the apples?? anyway, I just shoved them in the stove, to burn them. welllllll, there must have been something in that cardboard,,as the man down the street,,thought the bank was on fire!!! then he walked to my next door neighbor,,thinking he was on fire!! then he looked at my chimney,,and seen the BLACK smoke. he said he took two more steps toward my house,,and the black smoke stopped!!! said it puzzled him. I didn't step outside to see if there was any smoke,,as who would have thought there would be something in that cardboard????

Latest posts

Back