How 'bout a Slice of Humble Pie...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GASoline71

Mr. Nice Guy
Reaction score
So... I had the 044 on the workbench last night with the bar clamped in a vice filin' chains for a clearing job I'm doin' later this afternoon...

...anyhoo... the old eyes aren't what the used to be. I have to wear glasses for more than just reading now. I had left my glasses in the house and was too lazy to go and get them... So I start to filin', and I can't tell which cutter I started at... too blurry to see the filings on the chain.

So... I squint and finally see the cutter I started with. I started to file the opposite side cutters, and then notice a black magic marker on the bench next to the shop radio. I grabbed it and put a black dot on the top of the cutter... so I could see where I started. My eyes are gettin' worse...

Nowthen... there was a thread started prolly a year ago about this exact thing. Markin' chains when filin'... and me being me... I poked fun at some of you'se that had to do it.

Well... my friends... humility is a b1tch sometimes... so I just wanted you to know that the slice of pie I was force fed... tasted just fine. :laugh:

Ugh... gettin' old sucks...

Gary

Yeah...reading micrometers every day....my arms are going to need to get longer to make it happen. Either that or bifocal safety glasses.

Nowthen... there was a thread started prolly a year ago about this exact thing. Markin' chains when filin'... and me being me... I poked fun at some of you'se that had to do it.

Well... my friends... humility is a b1tch sometimes... so I just wanted you to know that the slice of pie I was force fed... tasted just fine. :laugh:

Gary

Yeah...reading micrometers every day....my arms are going to need to get longer to make it happen. Either that or bifocal safety glasses.

Dude Im kinda spoiled with my sissy green 3/8 picco. It has a green masterlink that I use as a reference. Now that I have the burned 044 with 3/8 and no colored link im lost. So Ive been using a marker. Its cool to see you own up. Im turning 40 this year and no glasses yet but I think they are coming fast.
There are a couple of retirees that work for us and I had to buy bifocal saftey glasses from UZ Products. They call them biopters.Why I dont know.:)

So... I had the 044 on the workbench last night with the bar clamped in a vice filin' chains for a clearing job I'm doin' later this afternoon...

...anyhoo... the old eyes aren't what the used to be. I have to wear glasses for more than just reading now. I had left my glasses in the house and was too lazy to go and get them... So I start to filin', and I can't tell which cutter I started at... too blurry to see the filings on the chain.

So... I squint and finally see the cutter I started with. I started to file the opposite side cutters, and then notice a black magic marker on the bench next to the shop radio. I grabbed it and put a black dot on the top of the cutter... so I could see where I started. My eyes are gettin' worse...

Gary

I hear ya Gary.I use to be proud that I could see small details so well that a lot of others could'nt, well that's all changed in the last couple years. Don't know how much longer I can hold out with out some specs.:cry:

I've been using a white paint pen. It works well as long as you don't touch the link for a minute or so.. ;)

I HAVE been too lazy in the past to mark them, then I just look for the file marks, but I'm always looking to see how damn many more teeth I have before I'm done. The white mark works well. :)

LOL Gary, Im only 30 and I use a paint pen to make a cutter when I file. I think I was ont of the ones you gave hell last year, hahaaa. Its all good, I didnt bat an eye.

One other think I like about marking a cutter with a paint pen (I use red or yellow), is that if you hang them up if ya have a bunch, its dead easy to spot the sharp chain with out messing around. I separate all my chains by size, etc, when Im not too lazy.

heck im 26 usen the paint pen to mark my starting cutter. also noticed road signs are getn hard to read and i dont drive at night anymore. when i got my cdl i barely passed the seeing test. the kept kept askn me you sure thats what you see and i finaly squinted harder and got it right

I've allways said that when they give you bifocals they should put an extra vertebrae in your neck so you can tilt your head back farther to see through the S---O--- B's. Standing and trying to read fine print of something that is posted head high is a pain in the neck.:cry:

Carl

Heck Gary, you ain't getting "old", yer just getting wiser :cheers:

Drew

Just a thought:
You know your a man when you can sit and enjoy a slice of humble pie.
If you still fuss over having to eat it every now and again....yer still a boy

Gary

Gary,

Squintin' shouldn't be a problem you can't handle. Now, if the girlfriend starts to complain, then you have something to worry about.

Now, take this annoying stuff like a man,

ole joat

i just turned 35, and i noticed the little things do get a little harder as compared to a few years ago.

i use liquid paper(wont admit it though), but if you wasnt ot save face, just start after the joiner strap/link in the chain where the cutter pattern changes....no admission of bad eyes....

Latest posts

Back