Mixed up and put petrol/diesel into the Hydro oil tank of your chipper

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
On a crew this was done. I was so very lucky to spot it before start up. Staff gave me back the $3 buck receipt saying the "tank, it was not empty so I just topped it up" ?? Which tank did you fill?...and with what?
Any one had the misfortune of a engine start up. I am told its pretty bad, high pressure oil pump & lines sucking in petrol or diesel.

Last edited:
I would think the amount of petrol would determine how bad it would be. For sure you would make a mess bcause the tank is totally full with no room to expand.If the tank is large and 1 or 2 liters were put in I dont think it would hurt. :)

Doubt it will ruin anything but it will thin out your hydraulic oil, which could affect things after a long run or on a hot day. Sounds like its a good time to change the oil and change the hyd filter since it if probably due anyways.

Have the crew do it on their time

Doubt it will ruin anything but it will thin out your hydraulic oil, which could affect things after a long run or on a hot day. Sounds like its a good time to change the oil and change the hyd filter since it if probably due anyways.

Have the crew do it on their time

if gas station did this make them pay for it definitely dump it all out clean it put new oil in it may ruin your seals and cause more expensive problems.

Thanks replies to add info, this happened some years back. I spanked the crewman then dumped out the contaminated Hydro oil and replaced it. My query is what could of happened or has any one sadly turned the key. I reckon as above a little diesel mixed with oil would not harm unsure about petrol.
Since then ensured all hydro tanks have got padlock's and well labeled.

if gas station did this make them pay for it definitely dump it all out clean it put new oil in it may ruin your seals and cause more expensive problems.
call the manager and tell him what happened tell him how expensive a chipper is and how much money you lost for the day you could not use it make them pay for the repair by the hour plus cost of oil.

Oh God, that's right. They pump for you in Jersey. But even a chipper and other machines? I heard its a law that you are not allowed to pump your own gas?

Self pump ya fuel here. Driveway help is all but extinct in Oz. Oh sometime girls in bikinis selling pop fizz.
Still seems no ones had a bang! pop or kaboom! if the key is turned as I was told. I figured you need O2 and more pressure to get any fuel oil mix to combust.

I work for a large rental equipment company, and while I haven't had this to happen to a chipper before, it seems to happen every other month or so on our backhoes. Not too big of a deal if it doesn't get started. We keep a 55 gal drum of screened used hyd. oil on hand just to flush them out when one does get started up with diesel in the tank. Works well and you don't have to drop all the money of a flush with new oil. We just rigged up a pump to pump out the tanks with an elevated pickup so that it doesn't get any of the trash off the bottom of the tank, and the end of the pickup is wrapped with fine screen.

Latest posts

Back