044 Vs 372

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YUKON 659

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I had an opportunity to run a stock 044 today and in my opinion it is NO comparison to the 372. I know the 044 has quite a reputation but I have a hard time to believe it can keep up with the 372. My 372 has had the muffler opened up, maybe if the 044 was opened up it would run a little better. Just my opinion.

Jeff

The 044 want run with the 372 or the 2171 Jonsered. Look at the tranfers on the 044 and look at the tranfers on the 372 , 2171.

Ricky

Was it an early 044? Early 044's and 046's had less hp than the later models that came just before the number swap to 440 and 460. Each saw got an added .5 hp I think after the upgrades. I'm away from home for the weekend, but I can check on specifics on Sunday if y'all like. You dealers should have the same tech bulletin that I do explaining it all. I've never ran a 372, so it may not be a factor in the comparison, but if you ran it against an 044 with like 4.7 hp, and a porting of lesser design, then yeah, it'd be pretty lop-sided.

Jeff

The 440 and the 372 when both have mod mufflers are pretty close. The husky is in general cheaper, slightly faster, has much more width to its power curve and is a joy to run in comparision.
I say this because I have owned both and have alot of trigger time on both.

I agree with what has been said above. I think the 372 is a thoroughbred, and the 044 is a workhorse. One a Ferrari, the other an M1 tank. I bought a 371xp and an 044 new years ago...the 044 still runs and the 371 has long since puked.

But the 372 offered an improvement in reliability, was a better saw...less bearing and oiler failures, and with the same high performance porting and the proof was in the cutting.

In defense of the 044/440, besides the durability issue, is that to me it felt lighter and somewhat better in the hands than the 372. Even with the obviously better anti-vibe of the 372. It doesn't matter what the books or the scales say, the 044 is slightly handier to me. But overall, I'd still take the better performance of the 372. All things considered, it is the better saw.

And yes, I'd rather turn wrenches on the 372, any day.

BTW, Husqvarna has now officially stopped production of the 372 for the US. :cry:

The 044,440 is a reliable as gravity and is slightly lighter than a 372. 372's in my area are still having bearing/crank problems.
FWIW I have always thought Stihls where easier to work on.

Last edited:
Stihl's are harder to work on than Husky's. You can still get the 372 but its a Jonsered 2171. They will be gone by the middle of next year are before. Jonsered's are prettier than a Husky.

Ricky

I own both Stihl, and Husqvarna, oh I also have an Echo poloesaw. But my favorites are Stihl, and Husqvarna. Around my area most people run Stihl I guess becasu ther were no Husky dealers. I try and sell my freinds on Husky, saying they are great saws to. But I also would sell them on Stihl too, but dont have to because thats what they have. It seems like alot of you are partial to Husky thats col great saw. But I have an 044 just before they went to ms models. My buddy has a brand new 372. Both great saws but Ford Chevy thing. All I know is I dont like hearing the 044 get a bad rap. They been around along time a very proven saw, one of the best selling in the world. Some people make it sound like there is a night,and day difference in power, I dont think you could live on the difference, maybe in feel like drivind a different car, and I have never had a problem working on mine is a very simple design. But dont rip up a Stihl dont rip up the Stihl just because youre a Husky man. Anybody that wants prrof, and says there is a night, and day diff in power crack open the books, From Stihl, and Husky, The print looks pretty close to me. And I have talked to many Stihl, or Husky dealers, some sell both, they tell me you cant live on the difference, both brands make outstanding equipment, it is what you prefer, cant go wrong either way. All I know all I have done is put a new plate on muffler, so now dual port, and my saws ripps, even without dual port. I run a 28" bar runs just fine with a 32" also I have both, and I haven proven it in big oak, walnut, fir, pepperwood, never! had a problem. I do plenty of tree work jobs to.

"Old" 044 and 046

According to test results from DLG, these models had power outputs of 3.8 kw/5.2 hp and 4.1 kw/5.6 hp respectively in the mid to late 1990's. The 046 gained more from the later changes than the 044.

My 372 got a pretty good workout this past Saturday. :) I am very pleased with the performance of this saw "stock". I guess there are applications where "Modding" would be of value, but I am keeping mine "as-is" and it cuts beautifully. I haven't cut with a 440, but when I was shopping for this saw, the Stihl price tag was a big turn-off.

bwalker said:
Jackman, Try a muffler mod and you will really be impressed. I have done this two one of my 372's and its a animal.

Animal? You mean wike a wittle bunny wabbitt? :p

I like both 372s and 044s but given the choice I gravitate to the Husky. Feels and sounds better while performing superbly.

"Look, there it is."

"Where, behind the rabbit?"

"No, it is the rabbit!"

"What! You got me so scared I soiled my armor!"

Is that the kind of rabbit you mean? Like the one with big pointy teeth in Monty Python's Quest for the Holy Grail?

I've got a lot of time on 440's, 460's and 372's.... I like them all!!! Its soooo hard to decide which one!!LOL Currently I'm running all huskys except for an 036 and a 191T. I like my 372's alot.

I have both, The plastic is better on the stihl,I like the locking caps, but about 1/2 way cutting through a large diameter tree is where the husky pulls away. I was thinking of trying a different bar and chain on the stihl, It seems like its binding. I bought the stihl because of the inertia lock, the husky has one now I guess.

Back