044 Vs 372

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some test results from an independant German test site (DLG):
H.372xp; 3.9 kw/9500 rpm - 4.1 nm/7300 rpm - 6.4 kg
J.2171; 3.9 kw/9600 rpm - 4.2 nm/7000 rpm - 6.4 kg
MS440; 4.0 kw/9500 rpm - 4.4 nm/7000 rpm - 6.2 kg
MS460; 4.4 kw/9500 rpm - 5.4 nm/6750 rpm - 6.5 kg
D7300; 4.4 kw/9500 rpm - 4.9 nm/6500 rpm - 6.4 kg
D7900; 4.7 kw/9500 rpm - 5.1 nm/7200 rpm - 6.4 kg
These tests are quite recent.

Some results from the 1990's, just for comparison:
044; 3.8 kw/9500 rpm - 4.3 nm/6200 rpm - 6.3 kg
272xp; 3.8 kw/9200 rpm - 4.4 nm/7000 rpm - 6.4 kg
371xp; 3.9 kw/ 9600 rpm - 4.1 nm/7500 rpm - 6.1 kg
2071; 3.9 kw/ 9600 rpm - 4.1 nm/7500 rpm - 6.1 kg
046; 4.1 kw/9500 rpm - 4.7 nm/6750 rpm - 6.5 kg

The weights are without bar and chain, but including cluch cover, nuts etc.

A lot of statements both on this forum and elsewhere tend to indicate that kw's and nm's developed by a E-lux motor are "stronger" than those developed by German motors. I have wondered why it is so for a while.... :confused:

You can take the DLG test and throw it in the trash IMO. I dont think anyone who has ran a 372 and a 440 will deny the 372 is faster and has a wider power curve. IE it's more forgiving of a heavy hand.
The 372 is very close if not faster than a 460 if tuned properly.
BTW give me ten motors and a dyno and I could get them to say anything you want. Running a dyno takes a meticulous operator, a accurate dyno(which to get a absoluteley accurate one takes $100,000 or more) and complete control of the unit being testing(ie barometric pressure, a/f ratio, etc). The dyno is really a usefull tool for tuning a two stroke in that it can show changes when a tuner uses differant tuning parameters. For comparing differant motors head to head it's not so good. Also of note is the fact that the DLG test seems fixated on peak HP and Torque which is of limited use in everyday use and not indicative of performance in the field.

ben- I don't think an accurate dyno is going to cost $100,000. thats a bit of a stretch. as far as the peak numbers you are right. peak power don't mean squat. it's a matter of how wide the band is. how could a dyno be good for comparing small tuning changes on a motor, but not good for comparing different motors? sounds like your dyno operator aint got a clue what he is doing, either that or you really haven't had much experience with them.

I am not sure were some of you guys get youre horsepower numbers, and think there is a night, and day difference between the 044 ms 440, and the 372 the 372 is 4.3 cu 71cc 5.4 bhp, 3.9 kw that is directly from the saw builders at Husqvarna. The ms 440 is 70.7 cc 4.3 cu same as 372 ms 440 is 5.3bhp 4.0 kw this is directly from Stihl the saw builder so what some guys are saying is that one tenth extra horse blows the 440 away wow I have run both Stihl and husky for 16 years own both currently too. But the 440 is no slouch, and by far not inferior to the 372 huskys fit and feel different, but stock to stock 372 will not just blow the 440 away. Run em both side by side with real bars 32" not litttle 18" or 20" inch and in very large tan oak walnut, and pepperwod. If you are a husky man god for you I love both but dont talk down a 044 like it cant keep up with huskkies, the 044 has outlived a lot of saws. But if someone has a stock 372 they say will out cut my 044 then bring it buy throw a 28 " bar on we will cut some 3 to 4 foot oaks and pepperwod, which my 044 doesnt have a problem with, enlighten me.

KW vs. HP vs. BHP

NORMZILLA, Stihl announces the saws power output in kw and bhp in the USA, and kw and hp in the rest of the world. I think all other makes use kw and hp all over the globe.
This adds some confusion regarding advertised number on the US market, as 1.0kw = 1.34hp = 1.37bhp (or something close to that). Bottom line is that it is about 2% difference between bhp and hp, which equates to .1hp at 5hp's.
Then there is the question of which unit the measurements originally were measured in, and how rounding off to one decimal is handled....... :dizzy: :dizzy:

bwalker said:
You can take the DLG test and throw it in the trash IMO........
I know from before how you feel about this matter..........

But kw is still kw, and able to do about the same work provided the rpm is about the same...... :confused:

ben- I don't think an accurate dyno is going to cost $100,000.
Actually they cost more. I have been through the dyno rooms at GM powertrain and they are nothing like the dynojets, etc that tuners use. Dynos for the most part are a statistical circle jerks. There is simply not enough control of variables with the typical tuners sytem to make them truely accurate. The correction factors, operator quality and hot/cold shots come into play

how could a dyno be good for comparing small tuning changes on a motor, but not good for comparing different motors? sounds like your
Think about it. Run a baseline with one motor, make a hcange and note the results. This type of activity works well on a dyno because the variables for THAT motor remain basicly the same. Now take a completley differant motor with its own set of variables and thats where the problems begin. This is not to say you cant get a decent set of numbers, but it takes much more skill and precision than what I believe the DLG test was run to.
Norm, as I have said before I have owned a 044 and I loved it, but without a doubt the husky is faster. Put a factory dual port muffler on a 044 and it will beat a stock 372, but it still has a narrow powerband when compared to the 372. Mod the 372 muffler and it will smoke the 044 all the while vibrating less, and having a easier to operate motor.
Longetivity wise the 044 will be running when the 372 long dead, but thats neither here nor there.
BTW shame on Stihl for not updating tis say in so long. It has to be 15+ years old.

Thats cool I know huskies have a little more rpm on most of their saws. I have always told my friends because of my love for both brands, I have always been defending huskies because all people I know run Stihl, I actually had my freind purchase a new 372 because I love huskies too, and you cant beat the price, but I now deal with a better saw shop who carries both brands. They have the best Stihl prices I have seen. I just didnt like the fact that some people were basically saying the 044 was junk compared to a 372 and that is not true. I have always known huskies to be fast and smoth, but to my surprise when I got this 044, i got a have of a deal on a saw that was virtually never used. It is a newer model just before the ms series. But I was in the market for a husky just got a great deal, now I am glad because this is the best all around saw I have ever owned. And in smootheness in power it is like huskies I have run. There was a 1991 model 288 husky at a local store never run brand new on the show rom floor since 91, they just never sold it still offered a 2 yr warranty. Store wanted 700 out door, they would not come down on price I just bought a house, with fiancee, and didnt have the cash, nor did I want World war 3 in the house, trying to explain why I need another saw especially since, I just spent 600 for a pole saw. I almost sold the 044 but I put a dual port front plate on, and I guess I kinda fell in love with it I have taken some trees out cut firewod, and made god money with it. I surely would have bought the 288 if I could of, but I dindt want to let the 44 go. It sure would have been nice to have both. The god ole 288 sure would be hard to beat even with all the modern new saws out their. If I had my choice to buy a new saw to ad to what I own I would have grabbed the 288, even over the 385 I think that 91 model sure was built good you can feel the difference compared to the new saws. A little heavier not much but a little extra weight for a better built saw is not much to compromise. What do you guys think in comparin 288 to 385, and 394 to 395, I hear some people prefer the 288, and 394.

I will have to say I was a bit disappointed with my MS 440 Magnum. If you push on it much it will stall. I would love to run a 372 to compare it. Anybody close want to swap saws and do timed cuts?

how close to a 440 would a 359 get with a standard muffler mod? What about the 359 w/ chisel and the mod compared to the 440 stock w/ semi-chisel? Opionions? (I know some of you are bound to have one) ;)

Blowdown1 said:
how close to a 440 would a 359 get with a standard muffler mod? What about the 359 w/ chisel and the mod compared to the 440 stock w/ semi-chisel? Opionions? (I know some of you are bound to have one) ;)

How about a 440 and a 365??? I think that would be a better comparison.

My vote would be for a 372...just feels better. Both run very well...would rather prefer a 460 magnum instead of 440. After running a 46 mag and an 372 - 372 all the way!

I'll put my 359 up against a stock 440 anyday.
after I modded the 359, I had to do the 372 also because it wouldn't keep up with the 359. I had intended to do just the muffler on the 372, but now they both rip.

I run two 372's botth lightly woods modded, run 2 440's stock muffler upgrades, increased filter flow. I have never packed a Stihl out of the woods, I have frequently hiked back up to the crummy to get a backup saw on the units I was running a Husky. Nuff said.

Sirchopalot, what the @#$* did you do to the 359 that got you that performance? :dizzy:

With the ~1/2 HP gain you supposedly get with a muffler mod it would still be about a pony down on the 372/044 from what I recall of the stock numbers.

The reason I asked this comparison question initially is because I'd love to get a little more juice out of my 359 and annoy my buddy who just spent a load of $$ on a 440. I never expected to make a horserace out of it w/ a muffler mod, but I thought it would be fun to see just how the two would compare.

if you must know, I decked the cylinder, cut the piston, and did some cutting on the ports. can give you numbers or do it for you. just PM me if you like. I have built many two stroke engines, mostly for race karts (125cc shifters mostly, but have done many others also) I also have my own dyno. so I have experience with the stuff.

Latest posts

Back