Octane Booster

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wood Cutter

ArboristSite Operative
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Hi,
I was wondering what would be better. 87 octane fuel with octane booster in it, or just buy 93 octane fuel. And yes, I used the search. I just was thinking about this today. I guess I just have to much time on my hands now that I am laid up for the next 6 weeks. Take care all.
Ryan

There is a Dolmar shop down the road that has sign hanging up that states.
WARNING! Please use 89 octane or higher in our Dolmar and Echo saws. I ask about this and they stated that the 87 octane gas creates to much heat in the saws, from the poor burn. I have no clue to this but, I quit using 87 and switched to 93 octane. For the couple bucks, why take the chance. I burned 87 for years in my trimmers and my trimmer saw and never noticed anything wrong. But for the $2 bucks more why not run the 93. Just my 2 cents. Could run my 114 octane cam2 thats in my camaro. But i dont think soooooooo.

Stihl wants 89 in most of their saws also for the same reason. I just use 93... I advise customers to use 93 because they tend to store it for months, and it looses octane over time .. some one told me about 1% per week, but I can't substantiate that.

There were thread last year about this topic and a lot of "discussion" about "detonation" and "pre-ignition". use these as key words in search.

Back