Another narley day in the PNW with long bars and full wrap

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lakeside53

Stihl Wrenching
Reaction score
Another gnarly day in the PNW with long bars and full wrap

Just helping out a neighbor.. One 140 ft+ 27 dbh hemlock leaning at 15 degrees, hung up and with the root ball partially torn out, and a 130 foot cedar with center rot. Both as measured.. I estimated them much bigger ;)

The hemlock was a joy.... Had a rope 50 feet up tied though a snatch block to a track hoe.. just to help it out of the top of the adjacent tree and to make sure it wouldn't come down on the house. Cutting the back cut was weird - the root ball was settling and the tree was pushing back. Damn... Full wrap only (escape path) on that cut. Check out the butt cut - if it's not white, it's rotten. Vast quantities of sound hinge wood there! Went pretty much as planned though.

attachment.php

The cedar was real fun... about 54 inches at waist height with multiple wide flared buttresses and a rotten arch up to about 12 feet. The plan was to cut a huge front cut 3/4 of the way though the front wood (sound) and the rotten center, find good wood for a hinge in the rear 1/3, then a back cut and push it over with the track hoe. It had to fall in a 20 foot target 100 feet away between the house and the trees... and the tree was way over 30 feet wide... Decided to shoot a line up in the tree and pull it with a truck ...just to be sure..

My butt. The face cut here was small and "exploratory" in nature.. It got to 45 degree and a lot bigger later.

attachment.php

My buddy Jake...
attachment.php

The face cut got a foot higher and went back to the rear 1/3 of the tree. Unfortunately the wood wasn't sound there either and the tree was groaning a bit, so no one around to take pics... The track hoe became the "backstop".

Note the "hinge" wood :laugh:

attachment.php

A blatant Stihl ad, just for Mow. The back cut was about 8 inches higher than the face base - I wanted to make sure it didn't push back thought the crappy wood and nail the trackhoe.

attachment.php

Last edited:
Part 2 - more of same

That little saw is an 066 with a 36 inch bar... That sure was crappy "hinge" wood..

attachment.php

The butt section. The rot in the center is not unusual in Cedars. The tree was very healthy and by 14 feet the root was gone. Still 20 inches diameter at 65 feet.

attachment.php

Give that guy a saw. The tree went down right where it was supposed to! Just as well...

attachment.php

Another ad for Stihl.

attachment.php

The wife and my mother have to get in on the action! It look like two trunks, but it's not...

attachment.php

Last edited:
Well, well, well, Sir Lakeside sounds like quite a day for you. Great pics. You sure live is some nice woods. Where's that cedar going? I could use some siding for my cabin, how bout you come out for a :cheers: and bring some of that log with you. :laugh:

Well, well, well, Sir Lakeside sounds like quite a day for you. Great pics. You sure live is some nice woods. Where's that cedar going? I could use some siding for my cabin, how bout you come out for a :cheers: and bring some of that log with you. :laugh:

How about you come out and pick it up! 3 30 footers waiting...:cheers:

Might mill it, but I have lot of wood I've promised to mill...

Those arn't ads here in PNW cause we use one brand:hmm3grin2orange: Yes very typical for cedar rot gut. The one I took down recently had the same thing but not as bad. Way to go lake.

How do you like those gloves? I'm pretty hard on gloves and haven't really found any that are durable enough for firewood cutting/handling.

They are real good. Goat skin - stay soft but tough. Lot's of stihl gloves look the same so you need to be careful what you are buying.

Thanks!

Oh yeah...good job. I'm always relieved to get one safely on the ground, then find out how rotten it was.

Those arn't ads here in PNW cause we use one brand:hmm3grin2orange: Yes very typical for cedar rot gut. The one I took down recently had the same thing but not as bad. Way to go lake.

Found out the hard way about the multiple sections of the log - each of the live sections pretty much moves on it's own - got my 36 inch bar stuck real good cutting though 4 of them... had to cut it out with the 044... I was so careful NOT to cut into the stuck bar that I cut into the handle of the 066... Andy, take off the frggin' power head first - sure glad I had an inboard clutch! :hmm3grin2orange:

Why such a long bar with the rotten center you wouldn't even need to "bore" cut the face should used a half wrap husky 350 with 20 inch bar step up and be a pro man.

Yep! Would have been just perfect (not) for rip cuting the butttresses off first. Don't know what I was thinking! (actually I was thinking - "damn, I sure hope crap doesn't happen...")

Interesting watching the tree shift and groan as you cut each of the live sections...

Last edited:
Here's a bad pic of the Cedar tree from 200 feet way before it came down... the tree in the center. Looks so small from that distance!

attachment.php

nice picts

looks like you earned your beer.those :taped: cedars are a witch to fall. your a good faller to make those night mares land on target.i agree those small saws aint worth pullin out on a big tree you need longer bars and more power:givebeer: :chainsaw: nice picts shows what makes a good face.

Is that the Tree you were telling me about taking down when I was there??

I wish I'd taken the 088.. I hate having to cut the back cut from both sides.

Really nice Pix Andy??????

Wish I coulda been there for that!!!!!! :rock: :rock: :rock:

Well would love to hang out and post but,,, have to run help Jody (Baby Bro),,, has his stump grinder torn down,,, we got to get it running,,,,,

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back