Another narley day in the PNW with long bars and full wrap

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can see why you took all the safty measures.
Red flags would be going off in my mind too.

nice thick hindge. Did the tree free fall or did you give it a shove
I'm suprized the sides did not blow out

The hemlock we pulled with a rope; the cedar had a tiny shove... just to get the weight forward.

How did you know center rot existed before you took them down? I'm asking out of ignorance. I've only taken one tree down with center rot, but it was obvious because part of the side of the tree was missing at the base and about half way up and I could see it.

Daayuum.......both tree and digital images are very impressive......Great job Andy.......
smily1381.gif

How did you know center rot existed before you took them down? I'm asking out of ignorance. I've only taken one tree down with center rot, but it was obvious because part of the side of the tree was missing at the base and about half way up and I could see it.

The cedar had the rot on the outside of both sides, and I pushed a rod though it! No doubt on that one.

The hemlock was just suspected based on local experience - if they lean, pull root balls, or fall, they all pretty much have the rot. The face cut confirmed that! I have been caught on others where the face cut as good but another inch would have shown that the "hinge" area was rotten. Great..

Sometimes you can tell by banging on the tree with hammer but that's unreliable at best. A few arborists out here have a boring tool to take a core sample, and one I know has a ultrasonic density tester.

The cedar had the rot on the outside of both sides, and I pushed a rod though it! No doubt on that one.

The hemlock was just suspected based on local experience - if they lean, pull root balls, or fall, they all pretty much have the rot. The face cut confirmed that! I have been caught on others where the face cut as good but another inch would have shown that the "hinge" area was rotten. Great..

Sometimes you can tell by banging on the tree with hammer but that's unreliable at best. A few arborists out here have a boring tool to take a core sample, and one I know has a ultrasonic density tester.

RB?

The hemlock we pulled with a rope; the cedar had a tiny shove... just to get the weight forward.

Having a hoe is a big advantage. I had a 150 Komatsu and still have a large crawler loader/backhoe. Even with the hoe those trees would give any one a large amount of "pucker factor". Well planned and well done.

They hoe operator was sure puckerd -he'd borrowed the hoe from his boss "for a couple of hours" who said - "fine, but just don't take down any trees or dig up any root balls!" :D :D :D

What you can't see from the pics is is that the cedar was up on a mound, with the hoe sitting down 10 feet beneath it...

Last edited:
Again wow!

Rootball moving, tree coming back...talk about pucker factor, I would have done the same, get out at the first possible moment!!!
Thanks for the details, all very interesting. Its good to chew over what others are doing and why.
Dude, this is your thread, I certainly have NEVER done anything that big (cedar) and complicated by rot, probably would have gotten three of you guys to help and then decided to be the foreman and let you do it!!!!:chainsaw:

Very nice work Lake! That's the biggest damn cedar I've ever seen. Here (Missouri) they are dong good to hit 20" DBH and 80'. Give or take a bit.

It's miller time :cheers:

Found out the hard way about the multiple sections of the log - each of the live sections pretty much moves on it's own - got my 36 inch bar stuck real good cutting though 4 of them... had to cut it out with the 044... I was so careful NOT to cut into the stuck bar that I cut into the handle of the 066... Andy, take off the frggin' power head first - sure glad I had an inboard clutch! :hmm3grin2orange:
Simply incredibly good work here Lake. How do we give rep?

Good post FHCW

Well done Andy. Cedar can get nasty in the middle. This one fell prey to ants. Another ad for Stihl!

Good to see you posting a bit Jeff,,,I know you are busy serving our nation and I (and everyone here) thank you for that,, are you Stihl doing some logging in your spare time???? Hope that "Tool" I gave you @ Sequim is serving you well,,,, and You are well yourself,,

Be careful out there,

River

Last edited:
Great pics and a (hairy) job well done Andy! :cheers:
Having the ground start to move under you is definately un-nerving (only had it happen once to me on a little alder), and I have neither the experience or equipment to tackle hollow/rotted cedar that size, good you had a bit o' 'push'! Beauty!

:cheers: Again!

Serge

Well done, Andy! Dicey at best on that cedar, eh??!! Oh, and the hemmy of course, as well. Bet you're glad to get your rope back!

Some discoloration in hemlock is the start of butt rot, but the wood is often still sound, and sneaks by at the mill with little or no $ deduction for defect. Your tree's hinge wood was only party rotten.

Do you want me to help line up a log truck, and come over and try to get Ryans's fir as well? Cedar is still going for $1100mbf...for under 32's....I have a load (+) of logs to be picked up Monday (after we crane 8 sticks at 3 locations), and a load Tuesday. Might be able to get over there for another load.

I had a problem Tuesday, felling a 50 inch butt, 63 foot cedar stick. Cut it low to optimize log value (It had maybe a foot of center butt rot, which is a minor deduction. 42 inch bar/chain combo wasn't cutting straight, and the backcut wasn't straight. Had to really work at it to get the center mismatch section released. Had a narrow drop zone between the house and some Japanese maple.

Latest posts

Back