Another narley day in the PNW with long bars and full wrap

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another ad for Stihl.

attachment.php

Thanks for the instructional pics. I like the idea of the high backcut to keep the tree from jumping back. (is that what barberchair means?) I did the same thing on the "Poseur" tree in that utube video, because it was on the other side of a chain link fence, which the owner woulda been pithed off if I had crushed. It was at our community garden, of which I am the coordinator (read "head mower") It dropped past the fence just like I had hoped. DIdn't know it was the right thing to do, just a guess. Cool to see it work at the pro level!
The falling wasn't on the video because the cameraman was pullng the rope.....
attachment.php

I have a question....... I'm obviously not a logger, but I was wondering if a heavy ratchet strap around the tree ten feet up would help reduce the risk of it blowing out at the bottom if there is center rot, cause the sections may behave independently of one another, and the strap wood keep them together?

The prospect of a tree blowing out at the bottom while you are cutting it is pretty scary indeed.:jawdrop: Tienes cojones de piedro, Señor Lake.

is that what barberchair means?

A barber chair is when the trunk splits vertically from the back cut up. Can occur with a leaner if you aren't using a saw capable of cutting fast enough. It's kinda like the tree falls faster than the saw can release it so something has to give. --Ian

Edit: Looks like on this one that there was no face at all, so when it wanted to go, it broke the tree rather than bend over at the hinge since there wasn't one to begin with.

barber_chair.jpg

Last edited:
I have a question....... I'm obviously not a logger, but I was wondering if a heavy ratchet strap around the tree ten feet up would help reduce the risk of it blowing out at the bottom if there is center rot, cause the sections may behave independently of one another, and the strap wood keep them together?

The prospect of a tree blowing out at the bottom while you are cutting it is pretty scary indeed.:jawdrop: Tienes cojones de piedro, Señor Lake.

Yes...... but a chain and chain binder are best... even a foot or or so above your cuts. Leaning alders without center-rot like to barberchair badly.. the chain works well... and as alder is now worth real money it's worth taking care.

But... if you have center rot, you still have compromised hinge wood

Believe it or not the best the mills were paying was $500 a thou, so I kept the lot to make live edge dining and conference tables out of. Should be sweet stuff, a lot like this nice Madrona we milled up this Winter. Oh and sorry no Full wraps, just half wraps puking loads of flying saw chips , cheers Peter w/ www.treecycleseattle.com :cheers:

HOLY CRAP that is some NICE grain...................and BIG trees. We don't have that many big ones up here.........

Yes...... but a chain and chain binder are best... even a foot or or so above your cuts. Leaning alders without center-rot like to barberchair badly.. the chain works well... and as alder is now worth real money it's worth taking care.

But... if you have center rot, you still have compromised hinge wood

I'm with Andy, use a chain and binder. I have used a heavy duty ratchet strap with good results too but they were not the auto parts store straps. Much heavier duty, much more money. Once you set the binder and begin your cut do not remove till the tree is down.

I like, I like a lot!

attachment.php

Wow! That was an old tree. Man that is beautiful.:clap:
We got some Madron and I am hoping to mill some of it for furniture too.
How well does it dry as in does it warp easy?
I can only imagine how heavy that piece you milled is. That stuff is like a brick.

Lakeside said he was retiring at 25,000 posts.. looks like he's only at 24,740 now. I think he's good for a comeback, at least a couple hundred worth.

Ian

Last edited:
I suspect he remains in the shadows. I was shocked to pop in for a visit and find him gone. He is/was a major reason to visit this site. Are you listening Andy? He was what drew me in initially. Sort of like Art, what keeps me coming back.
Lou
I can't slight Jeff, he was also an initial draw that rarely posts here.

Ya, we should at least get a report from Roger or somebody who sees him on how he is doing. Think he's become a suit or something? Working in a bank?:jawdrop::greenchainsaw::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Latest posts

Back