026 Carburetor Rebuild - The Saga Continues

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm 100% positive the rings and piston were on correctly, there is a rather easy to see arrow on the top for crying out loud. As to the rings, installed with bevel correctly gap between pins. All pieces of rings were there. I think it was damaged when I cranked it that one time. Good news, my major leak was solved. There is still a minor one somewhere.

If the damage was to the intake side of the piston, I think something got ingested - a screw or something else that was hard. Maybe when it cranked up without the air filter? Damage from an air leak would most likely occurred on the exhaust side.

Waylan

I tend to agree. Maybe there was something that got in there like a very small piece of clip. On the bright side I got it to fire tonight but it was getting dark and I couldn't see my adjustment tuners on my carb.

I think so. I think my compressed cork gasket and intake block off we're leaking a bit. I should be good to go in thr morning

Hey, I don't know if this saw is completely fixed yet or not. Got people sleeping here so I can't go test it out. But I do want to give a big shout out of thanks to everyone who has helped me or offered to in this thread and others. Keith, cedar shark, leg delimber, Justin, Rockjock, Randy, milkman, old cat, and many more. Thanks for all the tips. To anyone reading this thread it should be obvious their are a great number of awesome members here at arboristsite that are willing to devote their time and resources to help people less knowledgeable than themselves. I'll be a member here for a long time and I'll always try to pass on what I learn from projects like this. So don't be intimidated to tear into that saw! You'll have backup on here if you need it and that makes for a pleasant project. Whether or not I have this saw whooped for the long term is yet to be seen, but I have learned a whole lot and now have more knowledge and tools to get the job done right thanks to these guys. I truly appreciate all who have hung in there with me. My hat is off to you guys. Peace and bar grease.

That flywheel should be clean and dry, same for the taper. Anything between the mating surfaces will allow slippage and another key. Dry and tight, just the opposite of what you'd think. The key only holds the timing position, the nut holds it tight. I've run many without a key, still running today!
Hey Chris do you still have the homelite ? good to see ya

Hey guys, I finally was able to get a positive seal on my saw by taking off the bottom of the carb where the impulse barb is, seal behind it with cork gasket. That was my problem. Those boots are hard to seal due to their textured insides. Well, pumped her up, she did leak a lil bit, but it was coming from the muffler side and I just can't get a better seal there. Still, it held at 7.5 for 40 seconds, till it dropped a lil, which is the prescribed method in the manual, which I believe said anything above 25 seconds was ok. And I do know where my leak is coming from now. Time to reassemble and go test this animal.

Well, cranked her up and she runs great! Had to play with the tuning and open up the low side a little, but other than that, she runs and cranks great. I'm very happy with this saw. I'll have to put a bar on her, and retune, and before that put all the clutch assembly back together and brake. But I expect this to be a strong running saw for quite a while!

That's great Jarod...I am sure It is a relief to get it running. Congrats and I bet you learned a lot. That saw had multiple issues and those are tough to get straightened out sometimes. Way to go !

Congrats and I bet you learned a lot. That saw had multiple issues and those are tough to get straightened out sometimes. Way to go !
Thanks cedarshark! That saw had more issues than "The Amazing Spider-Man" but thanks to ya'll I got through them with relative ease except for that one leak and initially pulling my flywheel side crank seal. Tough little boogers, but I have it down pat now. I'm looking for my next project already. Haha! :laugh:

Now if I want speed, I'll pull out my 026, torque - my Homelite, easy cutting and starting - my Husky, and when I want to lay the German smack down on a stump, my 031av Electronic Ignition. My smaller duties will see either one of my Poulans or my Earthquake. I want to flip a couple and buy one nice saw later this year.

So many posts regarded the air filter choke hole closing completely. I was a little worried about this, as mine closed well, but didn't positively lock into the hole with the flange around it sealing. They sent me one in that pile of parts I bought, but... It didn't quite fit. Had a flair on the left side when facing the back of it that hit contact spring... Well, a quick little downsizing on my band saw and it fits tight the side which covers the hole I cut in it, and voila! New air filter that for sure fully engages when you choke it. Went out and cranked the saw. Let's hope it will crank without priming tomorrow... I don't know if I can be too hopeful after all the many quirks I have had to sort out with this saw. Surely there is one more for me to find, just surely! Oh well, I can only wait and see, the hardest part of building chainsaws in my opinion.

Back