044 or 440?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tree Feller

J &J Tree Service
Reaction score
So I don’t know a lot about these saws. I was thinking of a nice old school 044? Just always wanted one. But should I pick up a 044 or 440? Is the power and weight about the same? Is there one advantage over the other??
Thanks!

I like the flippy caps, so 440
Legendary as far as 70cc class goes though, you won’t regret either.

There’s probably other differences besides the caps, but I don’t recall.

I usually run a 20" bar on my MS440 and it just rips. I picked up an HD filter setup from ebay and just run an Oregon LPX chain. So smooth and fast. I haven't run an 044 but no complaints with my 440.

Drf makes a great observation. In my opinion, in stock form the 044s are stronger runners. More aggressive cylinder porting, bigger exhaust outlet and fully adjustable carb. Like drf stated though, some mods and a carb swap puts them on equal playing grounds with the added convenience of a decomp switch on the 440. To me the tank vent on the 440 is a better design than the 044 tank vent. I prefer the screw in type filler caps versus the flip caps. Why? When you go to take off the filler cap(for whatever reason) you can release pressure slowly with the screw in cap versus the flip cap which is sort of all at once.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back