044 to 066

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ciscoguy01

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Can you mod an 044 to an 066? What would be required to get another hp out of an 044. I'm a little disappointed in the 044 I just got. I was expecting alot more umph. Course the saw has only about 8 hours on it, does it still need break in time? It's power band seems more like a husky than a stihl. I adjusted the carb by specs, everything closed then one turn out, then adjusted to get just a teet more out of the H. Doesn't seem to have the low end torque that I've always loved about the Stihl's. Any ideas??? I'm running Husky 2 cycle synthetic with 87 octane, up here it's most likely got the 10%eth. I don't want to burn this bugger up as it's quite new. Bosch Platinum spark plug, running at a dark brown to blackish color. Starts on like the second pull every time when cold, first when it's warmed up. Top of piston looks very good, slight blackish color, maybe a small buildup, but nothing major. Any input would be appreciated...

I would first switch to at least 89 octane maybe even 93. If that doesnt help try richening it up a touch to compensate for altitude.

If you are looking for 066 power fom this saw and want to have it modified I highly recommend Dean at Washingto Hotsaws. He is a sponsor here and does a very good job on Stihl modifications. I just got my 440 back that he modded with a 460 Big Bore top end and then modified the that top end. In a race against a stock 660 I would give the nod to my saw all day!

Soooo...

From the stock muffler, I pulled it apart. The muffler is completely empty with only a screen on the output of the exhaust. Is there any gain by opening up the small opening of the muffler on these? I.e. drilling holes in the front side? I see some people do it, but wondered if this gives more torque or rpms? Kinda like your exhaust on your car?

You can get a Stihl OE ported cover for the 044/046. I dont have the part number, but Lake may be along shortly to give it out. Or you can search, its on AS somewhere.

Do a search on muffler mods. include 044 and you'll find the PN for the ported front plate. If you send your saw to Dean, he'll get you going. As to your original question, you can't bolt much of anything off an 066 onto an 044. You can throw on an 046 top end with some mods, and it's most reliable with the latest 044's and the 440's. To put on an 046 big bore setup, you have to open up the case a bit to allow the piston skirts to fit, but it can be done, if I'm not mistaken that's what BostonBull's saw has had done to it.

If this saw's new, (kinda confused on this issue, there haven't been any new 044's since 2001) you might consider not doing a full port job just yet. Open up the muffler, and stop running it on dog water. Use premium. But if you do decide to port it, Dean does do good work. He's got my 044 right now, I can't wait to get it back. I love how my 660 cuts.

i won't say i told you so...but the 044 isn't quite the saw the jonny 2171 is. i had the 066 before i bought the 2171 and i certainly wasn't dissapointed. there is nothing better than putting the 066 to some 24" plus beech but the 2171 will hold its own, cuts almost as fast and weighs 2-3 lbs less

woodfarmer said:
i won't say i told you so...but the 044 isn't quite the saw the jonny 2171 is. i had the 066 before i bought the 2171 and i certainly wasn't dissapointed. there is nothing better than putting the 066 to some 24" plus beech but the 2171 will hold its own, cuts almost as fast and weighs 2-3 lbs less

His does the same thing in the bigger wood when you use those dogs in big wood. I like crankin on it a little bit. The saw was purchased in 2001, I just bought it. It ended up being to heavy for the old dude. It's only got like 8 -12 hours of operation on it he said. To be honest, the saw only has like 2 scratches on it. The chain that I just replaced was the original that came with the saw if that's any indication. My biggest question was about opening up muffler a bit. I've been welding for a lot of years so I'm sure I could work something out to open it up a bit, I'm just not sure exactly how much to open it up or where to put the deflector plate. I dunno, if I mess around with it and don't like it, I'll just trade it for a 660 and be done with it. Sides dude, the 2171 is the same thing as the 575XP and is about $150 less bud.

The easiest way to get more power out of a stihl 044 slow poke gutless wonder, is to trade it in on a Dolmar 7900. :popcorn: :hmm3grin2orange:

Ya know

Ever since I was younger running the 056 Magnums, I got used to that kind of power. Just for the record, I tried out my buddy's 2171 for about an hour or so and was not impressed. It didn't have any more umph of the 044, but did cut faster as long as you didn't get on the dogs. I guess I'll just be disapointed in all the new saws, husky's, stihls, JR, and now that only leaves Dolmar to be the only saw I haven't cut with yet. All the new saws are like little sissy girls that like to scream... :D

ciscoguy01 said:
Ever since I was younger running the 056 Magnums, I got used to that kind of power. Just for the record, I tried out my buddy's 2171 for about an hour or so and was not impressed. It didn't have any more umph of the 044, but did cut faster as long as you didn't get on the dogs. I guess I'll just be disapointed in all the new saws, husky's, stihls, JR, and now that only leaves Dolmar to be the only saw I haven't cut with yet. All the new saws are like little sissy girls that like to scream... :D

No wonder, seeing as the 056 Magnum has twenty ccs on the 2171. Now an 056M and an 066, that might be a more satisfying comparison.

Since you're so happy with the older saws, why not just buy one of those, instead? They are out there to be bought, on eBay and elsewhere, and they don't cost that terribly much compared a new 90cc saw.

Actually

computeruser said:
No wonder, seeing as the 056 Magnum has twenty ccs on the 2171. Now an 056M and an 066, that might be a more satisfying comparison.

Since you're so happy with the older saws, why not just buy one of those, instead? They are out there to be bought, on eBay and elsewhere, and they don't cost that terribly much compared a new 90cc saw.

That's what I thought I was getting with the 044. I'll see how it turns out. I was just busting on the newer saws anyways. All saws have a use. I probably will have to step back up to a 90cc saw to get the performance i'm looking for. I did try a 288 and loved it. If I could get my hands on one of those now, that would be a good thing. Soooooo, back to the original topic. Anybody know how big of holes I could vent in the muffler?

ciscoguy01 said:
You fricken fool, lmfao... :ices_rofl: If I had the money, that baby would be mine in a second dude... I wonder what they'll gimme on trade for my 044 for say a MS650??? That'd be kind of nice

Run it a bit first, you may grow to like it. If not, as others said, send it to Dean. I believe that my 046 will easily eat a stock 660's lunch, just an't prove it as no one around here has one:(
Andy

ciscoguy01 said:
You fricken fool, lmfao... :ices_rofl: If I had the money, that baby would be mine in a second dude... I wonder what they'll gimme on trade for my 044 for say a MS650??? That'd be kind of nice
The 044 is a fast saw. The problem I suspect you're facing is a heavy hand. The newer, high RPM saws, require some skill, both in keeping the RPMs up, and the chain sharp. The old torquey saws could be pushed through a cut even with a dull chain.
The other thing that's going on is your perception of how fast the saw is cutting. It's like rididng a Harley. It seems real fast until a rice burner flies past you like yor standing still, while you're at full throttle.
Set up a log, do some timed cuts, or race a buddy. In wood less than 24", the 090 doesn't stand a chance against a 440.

Cuts

So I made about 30 small cuts on a log around 18", soft wood, popple. This was how I adjusted my carb. I turned them all in so they were completely in, careful not to overtighten them. Then I gave them all one complete turn out. From there, I turned down the H just a little bit as I thought it was revving a bit too high. I also adjusted the L and the T so that the chain was not spinning and it was sitting at a nice grumble. There's a 3/4" outlet for the exhaust, from my best estimate, I could open up about another 5/8" for exhaust to get a little more performance. And yea, even the old 056's I used to run were older, like 1990's saws. I know you can't compare a 90+cc saw with a 70+cc saw, but seems like going from 6.5 to 5.4hp there shouldn't really be that much of a difference, specially in 12-24inch logs. I believe the 044 is a 5.4hp saw if I'm correct.

Oh yea, I timed against my 266XP and my 041. All of them with new chains. My 044 turned out the 18" popple in just over 6 seconds, the 266XP in 9 and the 041 in about 10ish. They were all pretty close. If I torqued the 044 it'd stall just like the husky's seem to like to do when you crank on them. Damn heavy hands of mine...

hey cisco..... sure sounds like you need to get a 066/660 and get it over with :D

Back