044 to 066

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cut4fun said:
The easiest way to get more power out of a stihl 044 slow poke gutless wonder, is to trade it in on a Dolmar 7900. :popcorn: :hmm3grin2orange:

Makes ya wonder why the 044 was by far one of the biggest selling saws in the WORLD,hmmmmmmmmm,hehe..

Right you are

Mike Maas said:
The 044 is a fast saw. The problem I suspect you're facing is a heavy hand. The newer, high RPM saws, require some skill, both in keeping the RPMs up, and the chain sharp. The old torquey saws could be pushed through a cut even with a dull chain.
The other thing that's going on is your perception of how fast the saw is cutting. It's like rididng a Harley. It seems real fast until a rice burner flies past you like yor standing still, while you're at full throttle.
Set up a log, do some timed cuts, or race a buddy. In wood less than 24", the 090 doesn't stand a chance against a 440.

I guess now that I think about it you're probably right. With the Huskys I kind of keep a lighter hand because I know they don't have the torque. Since I've always run stihls I just had a high expectation of extra torque to really use those dogs. I guess it's a skil just like anything else that I'll have to adapt to or I'll just have to keep using the older saws.

ciscoguy01 said:
Anybody know how big of holes I could vent in the muffler?

Just get the dual port cover. 1128 140 0801, if memory serves. Open that hole a bit, leave the screen in and you're good. You can ease open the stock port on the side as well. No need to get carried away. After a certain point, it's just louder.

THALL10326 said:
Makes ya wonder why the 044 was by far one of the biggest selling saws in the WORLD,hmmmmmmmmm,hehe..
Hey Tom, Chevy sold alot of cavaliers too, but that dont make it the most powerful thing to run. Now If I was still just running my Homeowner Poulan 3750 60 cc's, I would have thought the 044-440's were the most powerful thing on the land. But I got spoiled this year and wouldnt give them a 2nd look now. Peace brother, and when you going to have the nastree racing at your place?
Forgot to add, we will need better log stands then them 5 gal buckets to race on ok. Hehe....

Last edited:
Mods

Ok dudes, I gotta say, I did a couple things and I'm very very happy with the 044 now. I went and got 93oct gas and Stihl Super HP oil. I put a new Bosch Platinum in it. I drilled 2 - 1/4" holes in the cover of the exhaust to open it a little bit, I'll buy the new cover now that I have the part number. I also readjusted the carb today while cutting Red Pine about 24" in diameter. When it was really turning out the rpms whining it seems to really lack the low end, so I riched it up a little bit from there. I timed a couple cuts and was knocking down around 6 seconds a cut on 24" pine, that's pretty good I'd say, new chain and all. I gotta tell ya, I love it. It's fast as all get out, and seems to have alot more of the low end torque I was looking for. This baby is a keeper now. I was already at the Stihl dealer today pricing a 660 in case that damn thing wasn't up to specs. But, I guess I'll wait on the biggun and just use this bugger for now. Thanks for the info dudes... I owe you all a brew. Would you settle for a Klondike bar?

Latest posts

Back