056AV oiler trouble

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cameronb

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Bought her in this condition... She's not oiling. I tried mixing gas with bar oil to clear/dissolve any build up, and it oiled for a few minutes.
Then ceased.

Ideas? Screen/filter in oil tank is clean, scraped a small amount of sticky residue of the outer filter housing, but overall, looks clean in there.
Thanks

The oil tank vent might be stopped up. I believe it's located on the back of the oil tank, under the intake boot. Also, is the oil pump adjusted all the way to maximum flow?

Ok, I see the boot. Gonna have to take her apart and inspect the vent.

I ran out without the oil fill cap on and no oil..
Ran the oil adjuster fully open and closed while running also.

Sounds like it isn't the vent or adjustment then. To further diagnose this, you could remove the pump from the saw and put some oil in the pump intake hole. Then turn the pump's plastic gear and see if it pumps. If it doesn't, then remove that gear. Spin the gear that the worm gear is supposed to engage, manually, with a toothpick, small screwdriver, or similar. If it still doesm't pump, the pump may be bad. But if it does, then the entire pump drivetrain and holes in the saw body should be inspected.

Sounds good. I just blew air backwards through the bar output passage for a minute, it bubbled up in the tank the whole time.
Fwiw

Well, after the air, it's now oiling. And the adjuster seems to be functioning properly.
But.... Went to fill the oil after 5 minutes cutting and heard the pressure release. So now I'm suspecting the vent is part of of equation.

That 056 oil tank vent check valve is a ball & spring type design, it lets the air in to break a vacuum, but will also allow a build up of pressure. However, I’ve never seen pressure build up in a normal 045 or 056 oil tank...lol.

You may want to retighten all 8 crankcase screws.

If you ever pull the oil pump off, do an 8# air pressure hold test on the oil tank, with the lower OP slot (intake) plugged off, to ensure the case gasket is NOT leaking oil from the oil tank into the crankcase. It should hold pressure all day long. The oil tank & crankcase are separated by the same crankcase gasket.

Pick up an oil pump base gasket beforehand too, as they are 100% guaranteed to tear.

Latest posts

Back