14-year-old NEEDS advice for reaching out to sell at local hardware stores

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Go to said store and ask them what it takes to be able to sell to them. Easy
Hmm, I've half thought of building a solar kiln the same size of my stand but just on a long pallet so that it is more portable. How long does drying take tough and can I use it to sanitize wood and will it also get me USDA certified?

This is all well and fine, but without insurance as a licensed business when you get hurt and need medical attention (which happens) homeowner's insurance will cover it--once. Next time is quite possibly on you, so that could be a $12,000 bill. It could be $2,000, or it could be $175,000, such as if you get a chain in the leg.

I'm certainly in support of people doing what they love and being ambitious, which is way better than playing video games which usually get you nowhere--speaking of that, when younger guys (like 25 or 27 years old) tell me about their new game deck I ask them what they play. If they ask me I tell them, "I'm currently playing Chainsaw Hero. The graphics are insane, but if you die in the game you die in real life."

(by the way, I just "leveled-up" and was able to buy a MS 881 with 41" bar) :surprised3:

This is all well and fine, but without insurance as a licensed business when you get hurt and need medical attention (which happens) homeowner's insurance will cover it--once. Next time is quite possibly on you, so that could be a $12,000 bill. It could be $2,000, or it could be $175,000, such as if you get a chain in the leg.

I'm certainly in support of people doing what they love and being ambitious, which is way better than playing video games which usually get you nowhere--speaking of that, when younger guys (like 25 or 27 years old) tell me about their new game deck I ask them what they play. If they ask me I tell them, "I'm currently playing Chainsaw Hero. The graphics are insane, but if you die in the game you die in real life."

(by the way, I just "leveled-up" and was able to buy a MS 881 with 41" bar) :surprised3:

Cool level-up.

What the younger guys (like 25 or 27 years old) who tell you about their new game deck look like:
Screenshot 2023-08-31 132004.png

Would a solar kiln work?
Meh, you need consistant heat, solar for heat depends on a lot of stuff being perfect, not saying it wouldn't work, just might be more trouble then its worth (and I'm the guy thats pushing solar for electricity... but thats a little different in that even indirect sun work with solar power, not so much with a solar kiln)

Meh, you need consistant heat, solar for heat depends on a lot of stuff being perfect, not saying it wouldn't work, just might be more trouble then its worth (and I'm the guy thats pushing solar for electricity... but thats a little different in that even indirect sun work with solar power, not so much with a solar kiln)
But if I put it in a place that has 12 hours of sun a day? I will make it completely black on the inside

I made this info sheet to give to interested buyersBeige and White Product Inventory Sheet (2).png

But if I put it in a place that has 12 hours of sun a day? I will make it completely black on the inside
I mean yeah, BUT you have to A: have 12 hours of Sun and B: keep it optimally aimed to keep the "perfect" temperature
(i'm in the PNW 12 hours of daylight is a novelty, let alone having full sun)

I mean yeah, BUT you have to A: have 12 hours of Sun and B: keep it optimally aimed to keep the "perfect" temperature
(i'm in the PNW 12 hours of daylight is a novelty, let alone having full sun)
Yep. Will it still work in the winter? I will be insulating the bottom too. Will I still need vents if I have fans?

I made this info sheet to give to interested buyersView attachment 1108983
I just saw your reply with your flier and this may have been suggested to you earlier, but there is nothing wrong with 'hand splitting' a cord or two now and then, but even at the healthy age of 14, you need to rely on either hydraulic power or kinetic. Hand splitting for mass production will make you old in a hurry. Used log splitters are cheap. Also if you can find a cheap 3/4 or 1 ton flatbed [preferably with a dumpbed], you will be on your way! Sometimes it is better to charge a fair rate [more] and sell to the community, rather than to a brick and mortar/hardware store for a lot less [with higher overhead costs]--unless you have an unlimited supply that is ready to go. Keep it simple and if you do shop around for a log splitter, keep that simple as well. I say this as a guy who excavated/processed/ sold over 2,000 cords of orchard wood [15 years] as a bonus from excavation, that most applications do not need a 10 hp log splitter with a [slow] 37-60 ton ram and hydraulic system. You will kill yourself buying gas for any sizable production/processing. A kinetic machine will save you even better as it has a faster cycle time and cycle time sure adds up and each day you will have processed a lot more cords over a hydraulic machine ...The least amount of times you have to handle your product, the better--be efficient. Bring the "woodshed" to the wood if you can [pallets work] and finding an old skidsteer or pneumatic tire forklift can be had for cheap, especially if you know how to turn a wrench or two--I bet you do too! Good luck to you!

Normally I don't reply to a 14 year old kid's musings but I will for this..

One of my good retired friend's sells firewood direct to all the campgrounds around here (and there are a lot because of where we are located, right of US23 mid way between Toledo and Detroit where Greenfield Village is and Toledo with the Mud Hens reside and the Libby Glass Museum and people come from all over with their RV's and camp around us in camp grounds and they all like to have a campfire so my good retired friends supplies the split firewood to the campgrounds in pre sized bundles, all tied together with nylon straps. All the trees in my acres of woodlot that get damaged, we cut down and cut up and stack in the corner of my barnyard for him to haul away, split and sell and he gathers firewood all over the place. His side yard is always full of saw logs, many that I've delivered with my tandem axle goose neck and loaded on my trailer with one of my large frame Kubota's with the forks and welded on grapple.

He does quite well with it as a retirement business, but it's hard work and he has a part time employee to help him too. never asked how much he makes but he owns a nice home and some acreage so I assume he's doing well with it.

He's 66 and a hard worker and I help him when I can, no charge on my part because he's a good friend.

He's developed that business over a number of years, That type of business takes time.

Having said all that, if I was 14 again, the last thing I'd be thinking about are chainsaws and cutting firewood, I'd be concentrating on females instead. Way more fun than a stinking chainsaw. Chainsaws don't smell good anyway....lol Just my opinion.

Normally I don't reply to a 14 year old kid's musings but I will for this..

One of my good retired friend's sells firewood direct to all the campgrounds around here (and there are a lot because of where we are located, right of US23 mid way between Toledo and Detroit where Greenfield Village is and Toledo with the Mud Hens reside and the Libby Glass Museum and people come from all over with their RV's and camp around us in camp grounds and they all like to have a campfire so my good retired friends supplies the split firewood to the campgrounds in pre sized bundles, all tied together with nylon straps. All the trees in my acres of woodlot that get damaged, we cut down and cut up and stack in the corner of my barnyard for him to haul away, split and sell and he gathers firewood all over the place. His side yard is always full of saw logs, many that I've delivered with my tandem axle goose neck and loaded on my trailer with one of my large frame Kubota's with the forks and welded on grapple.

He does quite well with it as a retirement business, but it's hard work and he has a part time employee to help him too. never asked how much he makes but he owns a nice home and some acreage so I assume he's doing well with it.

He's 66 and a hard worker and I help him when I can, no charge on my part because he's a good friend.

He's developed that business over a number of years, That type of business takes time.

Having said all that, if I was 14 again, the last thing I'd be thinking about are chainsaws and cutting firewood, I'd be concentrating on females instead. Way more fun than a stinking chainsaw. Chainsaws don't smell good anyway....lol Just my opinion.
Idk about all of that opining on the females thing...One of the oddest olfactory turn on's for chicks is the "smell of bar oil/gasoline and wood chips" [true story], from what I have heard. So if that is the case, then a 14 year old [or any old] might be able to knock out two birds with one stone--if he works that saw hard enough!:chainsaw: LMAO

Idk about all of that opining on the females thing...One of the oddest olfactory turn on's for chicks is the "smell of bar oil/gasoline and wood chips" [true story], from what I have heard. So if that is the case, then a 14 year old [or any old] might be able to knock out two birds with one stone--if he works that saw hard enough!:chainsaw: LMAO
Oh yes I do work that saw hard enough. And besides, at least the chainsaw won't complain when I keep on getting more chainsaws.

I just saw your reply with your flier and this may have been suggested to you earlier, but there is nothing wrong with 'hand splitting' a cord or two now and then, but even at the healthy age of 14, you need to rely on either hydraulic power or kinetic. Hand splitting for mass production will make you old in a hurry. Used log splitters are cheap. Also if you can find a cheap 3/4 or 1 ton flatbed [preferably with a dumpbed], you will be on your way! Sometimes it is better to charge a fair rate [more] and sell to the community, rather than to a brick and mortar/hardware store for a lot less [with higher overhead costs]--unless you have an unlimited supply that is ready to go. Keep it simple and if you do shop around for a log splitter, keep that simple as well. I say this as a guy who excavated/processed/ sold over 2,000 cords of orchard wood [15 years] as a bonus from excavation, that most applications do not need a 10 hp log splitter with a [slow] 37-60 ton ram and hydraulic system. You will kill yourself buying gas for any sizable production/processing. A kinetic machine will save you even better as it has a faster cycle time and cycle time sure adds up and each day you will have processed a lot more cords over a hydraulic machine ...The least amount of times you have to handle your product, the better--be efficient. Bring the "woodshed" to the wood if you can [pallets work] and finding an old skidsteer or pneumatic tire forklift can be had for cheap, especially if you know how to turn a wrench or two--I bet you do too! Good luck to you!
I'm actually saving up my money for an Eastonmade Ultra or 5-11. My ultimate hope for the future though is to also have an Avant mini loader. They're much more fuel efficient than skid steers and they also consume less tires.
https://www.avanttecno.com/us/machi...tw91wci_cQhcshFQLPjFDqnR3t0WA9f0aAovSEALw_wcB

I knew you had some heavy iron [equipment] in your sights! Keep it simple and the most important thing is to respect the power of 'anything that can crush you, mame you, addict you, or kill you' and STAY SAFE! Kick some ass, kid!

I made this info sheet to give to interested buyersView attachment 1108983
I applaud you for your ambition and hope you are successful! Here is my input after looking at your flyer... It's a great start:

1) As others have mentioned, there are things that need to be done to ensure you have "bug-free" wood. Either take out that statement or be prepared to provide a satisfactory answer when a store manager asks how you are backing up that claim.

2) Get some testimonials from several of your existing customers. If it is "locally loved great-burning" wood then create a separate sheet with actual feedback/verbatims from people that have purchased from you. In your flyer just footnote that statement and say "customer testimonials available on request.". If someone asks for that just hand them the other sheet you have already prepared.

3) Finally, remove the "in a peaceful neighborhood" statement. Since you're using a chainsaw that is counter-intuitive - or maybe not, but definitely subjective. In either case it doesn't add anything for the potential buyer and feels more like fluff. It's more important to highlight and draw attention to the Fairfax, VA location.

Best of luck with your endeavors!

I applaud you for your ambition and hope you are successful! Here is my input after looking at your flyer... It's a great start:

1) As others have mentioned, there are things that need to be done to ensure you have "bug-free" wood. Either take out that statement or be prepared to provide a satisfactory answer when a store manager asks how you are backing up that claim.

2) Get some testimonials from several of your existing customers. If it is "locally loved great-burning" wood then create a separate sheet with actual feedback/verbatims from people that have purchased from you. In your flyer just footnote that statement and say "customer testimonials available on request.". If someone asks for that just hand them the other sheet you have already prepared.

3) Finally, remove the "in a peaceful neighborhood" statement. Since you're using a chainsaw that is counter-intuitive - or maybe not, but definitely subjective. In either case it doesn't add anything for the potential buyer and feels more like fluff. It's more important to highlight and draw attention to the Fairfax, VA location.

Best of luck with your endeavors
Well. I am thinking about building a solar kiln to disinfect wood. I also have a couple of interested buyers and one guy who will be purchasing my wood once he runs out of his other stuff. I will also be filling out taxes on Tuesday. So now I can work my rear end off to pay some bum to do nothing and some teacher to tell kids lies about how they should not work hard like me. I hope I am not preparing for disaster this fall and winter. Do solar kilns work year-round though? I've got so many questions.

Latest posts

Back