15% I have WARNED YOU........ E15

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cuttinscott

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Well it's official we had a customer's saw SIEZE today and tested the fuel and found it has 15% ethanol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oil used was Stihl Synthetic!!!!!!!

Scott

yeah you really gotta dump more fuel into it with alcohol,

i remember when i switched my race car to alcohol i had to go from a 390cc injector to a 640cc injector just to get enough fuel in the motor

it just sucks when you never know what your getting!! thats why i usually run 100ll aviation fuel in mine since its always the same fuel year round

Is the saw still under warrenty? If so, could the fuel company be blamed?

Either way, that blows....

Saw is 5 months old and is under warranty BUT E15 voids warranty! Why does a saw company have to warranty a fuel issue our government is mandating???

Scott

E15 is being sold and marketed at the pump? I though it was only E10. E15 is really pushing it. There is only 1 station that sell 100% gas near me and they have been completely out of fuel for a week? The glory of living in the south.

That sucks big time. Saws do not like corn water! Could a richer oil mix or a fuel additive help any?

I think Mobil 94 octane is still all gasoline, we should at least have an option to get the real stuff, let the commuters burn that nasty popcorn popper scuzz.

I live in a rural area & we have a lot of farmers around here.

They all tell me (and I agree) that it cost more to produce ethanol than what its worth.

Im all for doing whats right for the enviroment, but this is nuts.

What about the people who drive older, carbureted cars & such.

I know for a fact, that until last year our gas was 100 percent where I am at.

Now I know its at least 10 percent.

Im going to have to test some for grins.

Saw is 5 months old and is under warranty BUT E15 voids warranty! Why does a saw company have to warranty a fuel issue our government is mandating???

If you think that's bad...wait till you see what running 15% ethanol does to your vehicle's warranty...

If you think that's bad...wait till you see what running 15% ethanol does to your vehicle's warranty...

THIS SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The E10 has given us enough issues even on the commercial mowers the fuel is now organic you ought to see what is growing in todays carb's and fuel systems. Now were going to have to deal with E15 and E20 give me a break!

Scott

THIS SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The E10 has given us enough issues even on the commercial mowers the fuel is now organic you ought to see what is growing in todays carb's and fuel systems. Now were going to have to deal with E15 and E20 give me a break!

You wanna hear the biggest crock of crap? I don't know what kind of warnings the stations are putting on their pumps, but it is not even legal to fill your vehicle with E15 or E20 UNLESS it is a flex-fuel vehicle. (In other words, the vehicle must be able to handle E-85.)

Are these station owners putting warnings on their E-15 pumps?

I'll add to your well-worded-warning...unless your vehicle is listed as being capable of running E-85...KEEP THAT E-15/20 CRAP OUT OF IT!!!

You wanna hear the biggest crock of crap? I don't know what kind of warnings the stations are putting on their pumps, but it is not even legal to fill your vehicle with E15 or E20 UNLESS it is a flex-fuel vehicle. (In other words, the vehicle must be able to handle E-85.)

Are these station owners putting warnings on their E-15 pumps?

I'll add to your well-worded-warning...unless your vehicle is listed as being capable of running E-85...KEEP THAT E-15/20 CRAP OUT OF IT!!!

Sad thing is most people have no clue what there running in there vehicles..

Well it's official we had a customer's saw SIEZE today and tested the fuel and found it has 15% ethanol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oil used was Stihl Synthetic!!!!!!!

Scott

I am not sure what the laws are in your state but here in Illinois and Iowa that would be illegal. The law here is enforced by the Bureau of Weights and Measures. They do a decent job of fuel testing and enforce the law. What method did you use to determine the ethanol content?

Thanks,
Bill

Well, this takes me back to a question I asked a while back. Can you run your saw on camp gas, white gas, lantern fuel, etc. I race RC boats with 26 cc zenoah's and a lot of guys run camp fuel in them. It is supposedly 55 octane which supposedly runs better in the zen's anyway. No alky either. Something to think about?

Sounds like you need to get that Aspen petrol started there, it can only be good for OPE to have a good stable fuel.
and the premixed stuff means that the owner doesn't even have to engage the brain in order to make premix.
The first person to get the franchise for that stuff is going to clean up.

I'm converting my saws over to diesels and running them on #2 fuel oil. Think Cummins makes one small enough to fit a 036 or 064? :D

Diesel saw - nice idea, I had thought about it but you'd need a strong right arm to start one; plus the sub-1CC injector pump you'd need, built like a watch and expected to work in all weather and in filthy conditions... it could get unhappy and expensive real quick. the very basic saw carburettor is a lovely, reliable thing.

We don't seem to have ethanol in the petrol over in England which is nice, also the lowest grade you could buy is 95 octane with 98 or 100 octane available for japanese monsters and Porsches, so ethanol problems are largely unknown. Is the seizure simply down to lean running and overheating? I know ethanol requires around twice the fuel mass per mass of air relative to proper petrol, so adding ethanol to the fuel will definitely cause leaner running and potentially more heating.

car engines: fuel injected cars are, I'd think, more likely to suffer since they run on an open-loop engine map under power conditions and will lean out at the worst possible time unless remapped. Carburettor cars will do this too, having no feedback system at all, but can be sorted out by swapping jets over.

Back