1st wood haul of '11

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MGoBlue

Those who stay will be champions
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Well one of the hottest days of the year and I decide to haul wood bright and early. Before I left I weighed 167.5, after 164. I just scratched the surface of the oak I have laying on the ground. Here's some pics of the 2 loads I hauled. The air bags are awesome!!

1st load
DSC05103.jpg

DSC05102.jpg

2nd
DSC05104.jpg

DSC05105.jpg

Glad you mentioned the airbags, I would have otherwise thought Toyotas were somehow superior beasts!

How far did you haul with that tall a stack in the bed?

I just did 5 cords (9 trips) in my old F250, about 15 mile trip each time, and only put a little heavier than a half cord without straps. Took me a bit longer, but better safe than sorry.

Nice work btw, I hear ya about sweating away the pounds this time of year.

Your 1st wood haul of '11

That is a great looking load of rounds for sure. I'd like to get my hands on some just like that to run through my splitter.

Good looking Toyota too.

Nosmo

Nice I love oak it splits easy.I read someplace that a cord of green oak weighs something like 5k so that truck is getting a workout.I actually bent my axle on my single axle trl loading a cord and a quarter repeatedly.OOOPs..But its all good.:msp_rolleyes:

Hey MGoBlue,
I see you are in the Gettysburg area....I'm just a little west of you up on top of South Mountain, Pa. Nice looking oak...looks like that will split well. On Monday (which was very hot also) a buddy and myself cut and hauled 1 big Poplar and 1 big oak that was down on my property !!! We were both soaking wet by the end of the day !!!! My wife and I always say that it never works out that we can cut or split wood until it's 90 degrees or above....I wonder why it works out that way ??????

Henry and Wanda

Well I couldn't get to all the trees I cut down on my grandmothers property because of all the rain. It just now dried up enough to get in there and get it. I even left a few tire tracks! Here's some pics of when I cut it:
DSC02501.jpg

DSC02502.jpg

DSC02503.jpg

DSC02510.jpg

DSC02524.jpg

DSC02528.jpg

Needless to say, I've got more than enough for the coming winter season. Now I just need a splitter!

Needless to say, I've got more than enough for the coming winter season. Now I just need a splitter![/QUOTE]

Yelp it's a splitter or strong back.:hmm3grin2orange:

Well I couldn't get to all the trees I cut down on my grandmothers property because of all the rain. It just now dried up enough to get in there and get it. I even left a few tire tracks! Here's some pics of when I cut it:

DSC02510.jpg

Needless to say, I've got more than enough for the coming winter season. Now I just need a splitter!

whats with that stump?

That was a learning experience. I tried to fell it one way and it wanted to go the other way. I got bar pinched at which point I left it there hoping a storm would help me out. I came back a couple weeks later (w/wedges), gave up and went to the other side. Believe me I didn't take it lightly. I had my father w/ me to be a spotter and for emergency help had I needed it.
Almost all my firewood experience has been w/ apple wood. Orchards in my area are a'plenty and the farmers push them over with dozers. I don't have much experience dropping big trees.

whats with that stump?

well theres your problem....
next time look at the tree first to see if it is weighted all one side,
does it lean a certain way etc. then cut the face cut a little deeper.. then back cut... the size of hinge looks to be ok for firewood.. try driving wedges when sawing to keep from pinching bars..
now the hillbilly way would be to make the face cut then using a come along and a chain to another tree to put slight tension in the direction you want it to go... then back cut it...has worked for me a couple times when trees are leaning over fences etc. always be safe about it at anytime felling a tree can bite ya in the @ss..

That was a learning experience. I tried to fell it one way and it wanted to go the other way. I got bar pinched at which point I left it there hoping a storm would help me out. I came back a couple weeks later (w/wedges), gave up and went to the other side. Believe me I didn't take it lightly. I had my father w/ me to be a spotter and for emergency help had I needed it.
Almost all my firewood experience has been w/ apple wood. Orchards in my area are a'plenty and the farmers push them over with dozers. I don't have much experience dropping big trees.

A rope thrown up in the tree can save a lot of wedge work when the tree doesn't want to work with you .

Good firewood haul !

Back