201T Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Josh A

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I was at my local Stihl Dealer (an ACE Hardware) today to pick up a new weed wacker and edger. While I was waiting I was comparing the weight of the 261 and 201T. Now Im not a climber but I have been looking at the 201 rear handle for limbing. The sales rep asked if I was a climber and I told him no but why did he ask. He told me he could only sell the top handle models to climbers. I didn't think much of it at the time but now Im curious. Is this a Stihl policy, ACE policy, or just that dealers policy? Also how do they verify who is a climber? Most of the climbing outfits I've seen around Houston are fly by night unlicensed uninsured guys doing it as cheap as possible.

Josh

My initial response is "sounds like the dope just lost a good customer". Those things are pricey and I would think they would want them gone, no?

Can't comment on Ace or dealer,

It is not a Stihl policy. They recommend top handles for "professional" in tree or bucket use, but if you have the money, I have yet to find a dealer that won't sell you one.

Take Care

Our local hardware store will sell to anyone....anything. Years ago, a HO came in looking for a new saw for firewood. He was looking at small saws, clerk showed him the big ones, sold him on power, dude bought a 066! I should have gotten the guys name, bet that saw is sitting in a shed somewhere collecting dust.

When I bought my 201 I got about the same treatment. Guy asked me if I was a "professional" because he wouldn't sell it to me unless I was. I laughed because I thought he was kidding. He wasn't but I think it was just his way explaining that the top handle isn't a ground saw and just because it's small doesn't mean it's a homeowner saw. In fairness, the dealer had just got the Stihl franchise and didn't seem to be on top of the info. I came from a job where my 200t broke so I was covered with sawdust which might have been a clue but I couldn't blame the guy for urging safety. I've seen more than a few older Stihl top handles in homeowners garages.
Phil

They are dangerous though... Not because they're such a dangerous saw, or because of the increased risk of kickback, but because people underestimate them and use them too casually. The climbing saws are just about the last saws I let the guys on the crew use, and only when they've learnt enough. I don't mind giving them a 660 with a 36" bar, because they respect that thing, and they're careful about using it. Climbing saw on the other hand.... They get too cocky with it!

Shaun

They are dangerous though... Not because they're such a dangerous saw, or because of the increased risk of kickback, but because people underestimate them and use them too casually. The climbing saws are just about the last saws I let the guys on the crew use, and only when they've learnt enough. I don't mind giving them a 660 with a 36" bar, because they respect that thing, and they're careful about using it. Climbing saw on the other hand.... They get too cocky with it!

Shaun

I agree about the small saws. I equate it to teaching someone to shoot guns. You always start with a long gun over a pistol. Not because of the power, but its easier to lose track of where you're pointing a pistol.

I was at my local Stihl Dealer (an ACE Hardware) today to pick up a new weed wacker and edger. While I was waiting I was comparing the weight of the 261 and 201T. Now Im not a climber but I have been looking at the 201 rear handle for limbing. The sales rep asked if I was a climber and I told him no but why did he ask. He told me he could only sell the top handle models to climbers. I didn't think much of it at the time but now Im curious. Is this a Stihl policy, ACE policy, or just that dealers policy? Also how do they verify who is a climber? Most of the climbing outfits I've seen around Houston are fly by night unlicensed uninsured guys doing it as cheap as possible.

Josh

I'm guessing you were at that Ace in Atascosita? Way better off giving your business to Ray Despains in New Caney. It's worth the drive. Jeff

Bought my MS-192-T from local Ace Hardware, plus I had to show the salesman how to start it. He was new to chainsaws, and he bought me a quart of bar oil for helping him.

have a good repore with most of the local dealers here

I have learned some from a few and taught a bit to a couple. I have never been questioned about buying a saw from any of them. I have done a bit of business with all of them. I would have to say that his reasoning is the 201t is the "Stihl Cadillac of climber saws" right now(unfortunately) and he probably wanted to upsell you. If you find a dealer that won't sell you a saw..let me know. I will hook you up with a dealer that will sell you anything you want for msrp without me at all. I can tell you if a dealer wants to second guess your needs and wants..he will double charge your parts and labor..seek another dealer and badmouth him as far and wide as you can. Most Stihl dealers that I deal with have been descent..a couple lost their license..but most descent. keep your friends close and your enemies closer.....nuff said

Gotta watch the saw shops, some will scam u if they can. In San Diego, there is a saw shop in Lakeside that u take a saw in for....lets say a linkage problem....they will turn and tell you its burned up due to bad fuel, then try and sell yo ua knew one. They take your old one, fix the linkage then put it one the used saw shelf. I busted them and turned them into Stihl. They tried telling me my says where burned up, even tho the other 20 or so saws used the same fuel. I took the saws from the shop, which he REALLY didn't want me to do, tried tap dancing around on how he would get them done right away. I took the same saws to a dude named Super Steve at Lawnmowers Plus, Jeffery L turned me onto, he went thru the saws, none of them where bad, all had minor issues that had nothing to do with fuel. They also talked to the Stihl rep about what they found. The the rep called me and took a statement. Not sure if they lost the dealership, but they should.

Had one here, a rental shop, that is a dealer. I took my pole saw to them and wanted the trigger shaft replaced. Dumbass excon that I had working for me was doing under cuts with it and was putting all his power into the cut, bending the shaft so it spun out of round. They told me I had to order a crap load of parts, so I did. Then when they come in, they tell me they don't want to mess with it, but your parts are in? I fix it and find that I don't need the parts they told me. As I am tearing mine apart, I realize that they never even broke mine down, so how did they know that I needed whatever? They didnt, just had me pay for parts I didn't need.Bout a hundy 50 in parts. I take them back, he says he will try and send them back and get me a refund. Time goes by and I hear nothing. I ask and they try to tell me they never got them form me. I had no proof. I wanted to go off, but they are the only place in town that has good rental equipment and I still have yet to buy a grinder. So I let it go....for now. I did stop buying there tho, I would spend a average on 10g's a year there with saws,oils chains and so on. No more, I spend no money other than renting a machine. As soon as I get one, they are done. Finding a good reputable/honest saw shop can be hard, so when you do, keep them happy.
I have a dude the I have known for years, he runs a mower shop at a hardware store downtown, dude is amazing and honest as they come. I gave him all my old saws and parts for his Frankenstein projects as I did Super Steve in SD. When I took him a truck load of old saws big green kept laying around, he was like a kid that just go his big brothers slot car track! The demon tweakers love old parts. So when ever I take anything in, I am a priority and get my stuff back right away and I never pre pay for parts. He tells me what he used and if its more than a little, he always calls first.

The reason he did this is he is afraid of being sued! Stihl recommends this as a climbing saw but there is no law to says he cant sell it to you . When you think about it any saw can cut you and you never know who how qualified the buyer is. If you were ten years old I would partly agree with him! So move on buy it elsewhere.

OP Response

Jolly,
Not the ACE in Atascosita. I forget the name but its over on the west side. Ever shop at LRs Lawn Mower on Ella? They are actually my closest Stihl dealer but Im not very impressed. Since Im not commercial it seems every time I go in there I get little to no assistance.

As to being upset Im not. I wasn't actually looking for a 201T...I was just comparing the 201 to the 261 weight wise so I could decide if I wanted to order a rear handle 201. This store actually is new to the selling Stihls but they have excellent service in my opinion. They always have what I want in stock and they work with me on price since I shop there often. As far as upswell they knew they had limited chance as I already got a 441CM.

I was just curious about their rule on not selling T models to home owners as I had never heard of it.

Josh

Can't comment on Ace or dealer,

It is not a Stihl policy. They recommend top handles for "professional" in tree or bucket use, but if you have the money, I have yet to find a dealer that won't sell you one.

Take Care

My local Stihl dealer (John Deere) will not sell to a "nonprofessional". How he determines that I don't know. My next dealer sold me a 192T (201T - too pricey forwhat I needed).

Of course he tried to tell me it was a pro grade saw. I pointed out the difference between a prograde and a saw listed "for professional use only"

Jarru L

my Stihl dealer in the UK used to ask to see licences to buy a top handle, I assumed it was a legal requirement there as it is illegal to use a top handle on the ground, it's also against the rules to use it one handed in a tree except where two handed use is impractical or unsafe like tips of branches and they'll take your licence away if you're caught.
IIRC We lost a few school leavers to top handled saws through ignorance and complacency, older users too were regularly pruning their left arm so they changed the law. Our new groundie picked up my 200t the other day and was surprised when I grabbed it off him before he'd pulled the handle, he assumed it was the same as the 170 because "it's really small". Small? Yes, also extremely feisty, vicious, nasty and angry and by far the easiest saw to do something really stupid with. I've never lent a top handled saw to anyone who didn't own one already and who I was working with, even then I've watched someone very experienced rip the back of a glove to shreds in the blink of an eye.

Soon after I moved to eastern PA, I had an encounter similar to that of the OP's. I went to the local Stihl Dealer to get a new 660. Standing at the shelf waiting for a salesman, I ask the guy if he has a 660; largest on the shelf was a 440 I believe. (Forgive me, this was about 15 years ago) They said they would have to special order, because those are only used in "logging country". Then, said salesman precedes to tell my why I don't need it. At the end of his long rant, I just shook my head in agreement, said I would have to think about it (he was trying to sell me on a 361). As I started to leave, I turned and said, "Oh, almost forgot, do you guys sell those hum-bolts? I've got a few large trees I need to get down." He replied, "Not sure, let me check and see if we have any." I just walked out and have never been back.

Called a land clearing guy I had met and he sent me to another shop...which has been great ever since. And they stock those bolts. :msp_biggrin:

Latest posts

Back