261 or 440?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cliobis

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I cut firewood. hard as oak and soft as pine. I also fall trees not on a regular basis but more than occassionally. Nothing real huge in diameter but some get up to 28-30". I like the 440 mag alot but $$$.. Would a muff modded and possibly ported 261 be good enough or just suck up the cost and buy the 440?

I like all of my saws. I love my 440. It will be the last saw I sell/give when I become too frail and or dangerous to run a saw. I had mine ported by TreeMonkey (Scott) that increased its awesomeness several fold.

For what your cutting you need a bigger saw than the 261.

It doesn't have to be a stihl, but something in the 70cc range would allow a bigger bar for attacking the larger trees. :msp_thumbup:

the 361/362 or husky 555, 562 might be a much better bet for you. The husky's are clearly faster but the 361 will run a 25" if needed.

thanks for the input guys.. I have looked into the 362 alot actually. I had every intention of buying the 362r version with the full wrap but i have also heard alot of negative thoughts about the saw.. especially saying for the extra couple hundred go with the 440. What do you think about the 362?

Out of those three I vote MS440. Bigger saw will cut smaller wood better than a smaller saw will cut bigger wood.

thanks for the input guys.. I have looked into the 362 alot actually. I had every intention of buying the 362r version with the full wrap but i have also heard alot of negative thoughts about the saw.. especially saying for the extra couple hundred go with the 440. What do you think about the 362?

If you're thinking this, then get either the 261 or 440 now. If you're going new, get the 440 if you can find one, Stihl is pulling the plug for the last time. Then when funds are there for your proposed 362 purchase, get the other. You won't be happy with a 60/70 combo - I've been there and done it. I started out with the 260 and 361, bought a 440 and sold the 361 shortly after as there was no need for it anymore. A 50/70 plan makes much more sense, trust me. There's a lot of guys on this site that will agree with me, and for good reason.

I cut firewood. hard as oak and soft as pine. I also fall trees not on a regular basis but more than occassionally. Nothing real huge in diameter but some get up to 28-30". I like the 440 mag alot but $$$.. Would a muff modded and possibly ported 261 be good enough or just suck up the cost and buy the 440?

What size/brand saw(s) do you run now?

I have both saws, 2 261's and an 044 (same basic saw as the 440) also a 361. For what you are cutting as much as we love the 261's I am going to recommend the 440. No hurry Stihl has plently available, as they are not cataloging it or promoting it, brought it back due to the proffessional demand. They really don't want to sell a ton of them as it would eat up EPA credits in a hurry. Between the 362 and 440 I would definetly go with the 440 just a 1/2 lb or so heavier and a lot more performance.

But I'm going to throw you a curve, buy yourself a 441, the CM version is the best performer, silky smooth, will outperform a stock 440, a great saw. This afternoon cutting for our firewood business we had around 40 logs, all over 24" in diameter, nothing smaller than 70cc's got fired up, which is unusal as we normally cut tops and 85-90% gets done with the 261's. A 441 is a extremely nice saw. If you plan on having one ported in the future look at the new 461, Mastermind has turned out some real monsters.

awesome thanks guys. ill look into the 441. Having nice things isnt cheap :msp_sad:

Get a 440, they are phasing them out so now is your last chance. And if you don't like it you can always sell it and buy something else later on.

I prefer the 440 because its almost a pound lighter than the 441 and its a more compact design, also easier to work on. If you want something bigger get the 461.

Our distrubutor, Crater, has told us the 440 will still be available thru 2013, just not cataloged, or promoted.

You need both! For my cutting, a 50cc saw will do 80% of what I need if not more. Based on that I bought a new ms261 that WILL get ported after the holidays. I do plan to get a gently used 70cc saw to handle the bigger trees and noodling duites. I'm looking hard at the 562xp though......:dizzy:

But I'm going to throw you a curve, buy yourself a 441, the CM version is the best performer, silky smooth, will outperform a stock 440, a great saw. This afternoon cutting for our firewood business we had around 40 logs, all over 24" in diameter, nothing smaller than 70cc's got fired up, which is unusal as we normally cut tops and 85-90% gets done with the 261's. A 441 is a extremely nice saw.

Agreed. You'll never have buyers remorse with the 441.

Agreed. You'll never have buyers remorse with the 441.

I agree. My 441C is my go to saw for everything. It's a tree fallers dream IMO.

Everyone says "get a 440 before they do away with them". The reson they're doing away with them is because the 441C is superior. I have alot of time on both saws and in my opinion, the 441C is just the better saw all around. Better filtration, better Av, better power, and it adjust itself. What more is there to say? :wink2:

I agree. My 441C is my go to saw for everything. It's a tree fallers dream IMO.

Everyone says "get a 440 before they do away with them". The reson they're doing away with them is because the 441C is superior. I have alot of time on both saws and in my opinion, the 441C is just the better saw all around. Better filtration, better Av, better power, and it adjust itself. What more is there to say? :wink2:

I keep telling myself that I need to run one. I fondled one in the dealership, and I'm positive the 440 is a better handling saw. But I'm very interested in the M-tronic and the other features you mentioned.

I keep telling myself that I need to run one. I fondled one in the dealership, and I'm positive the 440 is a better handling saw. But I'm very interested in the M-tronic and the other features you mentioned.

The 441C has about a pound on the 440. The 441C balances very good though, especially with a 28" Stihl light bar. From looking at them you would think the 441C handles like a cinderblock, but it's not the case. All the other features cancel the weight difference out in my opinion.

Latest posts

Back