346 xpg - New Edition

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
does the 346 XP run .375 or .325????

If it is RS or RSC it sure will be better on the New Ed one - the initial feel make me believe it can do pretty well with full size 3/8" (or 8-pin ,325) also - but it remains to be seen.......

Better yet what came on it ?????

346xp chain types

SawTroll
Allways looking for a alternative chain types for my 346xp.
Just purchased some Stihl RMC chain, 325, 50ga x 66dl. This chain feels heavey (255 grams) compared to the 95vp (230 grams). Very little difference in acceleration between the two. I don't know yet which one is better.

Troll is there a "older" 346 around that you can test towards the new one?? I think a few would like to see if they made a big change...

None that I know of, but my dealer have sold lots of them, so he may be able to set up acomparison, at some point - he is interested himself......

Better yet what came on it ?????
SawTroll
Allways looking for a alternative chain types for my 346xp.
Just purchased some Stihl RMC chain, 325, 50ga x 66dl. This chain feels heavey (255 grams) compared to the 95vp (230 grams). Very little difference in acceleration between the two. I don't know yet which one is better.

What I will have on it initially is a 16" .325 and 21LP chain - sure will try 25RSC also, and the 3/8 setup from the 5100S.
If I had to guess, I would say the 25RSC setup is what probably will be the favourite - but it is just a guess.......

95VP just doesn't feel right on it, have to use a lot of pressure to reach max cutting speed.......

Last edited:
Aw come on, this isn't fair! All I've got is the stupid poster to hang up.

Well, somebody had to be first, and I'm glad it's you.

Question: Does it have the dang muffler on it? I was told that the reason the 350/2150 were increased from 49 to above 50CC in 2003 was because there are more relaxed EPA regs for saws 50cc and bigger. I wonder if that is part of the reasoning here with the 346.

I do have a scheme afoot to try and get some of these provided they are in the US. It might be a dead end, but it might very well work.

The 2153 is rated a bit lower for power, for some reason......
Thank you for the above and the pm!!;)

My guess is that what you indicate is part of the truth, but also a power level more in line with the 5100 etc.

The newer 350/2150 is 51.7cc, the New Ed 346xp/2153 is just 50.1cc......

Last edited:
Alr righty then Niko!!!!

What I will have on it initially is a 16" .325 and 21LP chain - sure will try 25RSC also, and the 3/8 setup from the 5100S.
If I had to guess, I would say the 25RSC setup is what probably will be the favourite - but it is just a guess.......

95VP just doesn't feel right on it, have to use a lot of pressure to reach max cutting speed.......

How about some pix????? :buttkick: :givebeer:

we need PIX!!!!!!!!!!!

COOL BEANS SAWTROLL!!! Sounds like you like it and thats good. Still waiting for them to get here. Done put my order in with Spike, placed Manual's order with Spike as well. Keep us posted on how it does till we get ours. BTW, ours will be better than yours, why, because we said so,LOLOLOL

Happy sawing ole feller!!!!

Cool beans!!!!! :clap: :clap:

You ole devil, I didn't know you were in the market already for a new saw, the saw bug really did bite ya good :laugh: :laugh:

I wasn't actually, but then I saw it - love at first sight/handling!!!!!

The dealer offered to arrange some test cutting, but I desided to make the testing at the cottage......:hmm3grin2orange: :cheers: :cheers:

Now I am soon on my way to do more cutting with it - but still have to take it easy on my foot......

Last edited:
Congrats on the sweet new saw and being the first to get one:clap: So, you are saying you did not like the 91VP on it after all? Too much HP? I was wondering what the optimal HP for that chain is, and at what HP you are better off with a standard .325 such as RS? (debating NK/91VP for the 026/3.5HP) Look forward to pics! Does it have that odd brake on the rear handle?, what is that?CAT mufflers over there? Sorry for all the questions, I'm sure we'll find all this out soon enough as these show up on our shelves.

Congrats on the sweet new saw and being the first to get one:clap: So, you are saying you did not like the 91VP on it after all? Too much HP? I was wondering what the optimal HP for that chain is, and at what HP you are better off with a standard .325 such as RS? (debating NK/91VP for the 026/3.5HP) Look forward to pics! Does it have that odd brake on the rear handle?, what is that?CAT mufflers over there? Sorry for all the questions, I'm sure we'll find all this out soon enough as these show up on our shelves.

Not sawtroll but i quess i can answer your questions... No cat in scandinavia, that odd brake in rear handle is part of TAC (three action chainbrake) and no, there isnt one in new edition 346xp becouse its OPTION that costs MONEY so no one gets it...

Not sawtroll but i quess i can answer your questions... No cat in scandinavia, that odd brake in rear handle is part of TAC (three action chainbrake) and no, there isnt one in new edition 346xp becouse its OPTION that costs MONEY so no one gets it...

Thanks! questions open to all parties! Saw sounds like a real winner then with no CAT and no TAC!

No odd brake, and no E-tech/cat, just an honest xpg. I'm just in from cutting a bit with it, and it seems to pick up speed already - in addition to the torque - will soon cut more.

I still have the 95VP setup on it, and a 7-pin .325, I am pretty sure that it is not ideal, but it performs really well, anyway.....

Last edited:
No odd brake, and no E-tech/cat, just an honest xpg. I'm just in from cutting a bit with it, and it seems to pick up speed already - in addition to the torque - will soon cut more.

I still have the 95VP setup on it, and a 7-pin .325, I am pretty sure that it is not ideal, but it performs really well, anyway.....

mind testing it with 8-pin sprocket??

mind testing it with 8-pin sprocket??

I will test 8-pin, and 95VP, 21LP and eventually 25RSC. when it has some time on it + 7-pin 3/8" with 73LP and LGX........

.. my guess is that the 25RSC/8-pin will be the winner (on the 5100S as well)........

Last edited:
Looks OK, but that isn't really important - so far I can "diagnose" way more torque than the 353, despite it is totally new - looking fwd to compare with Witchys 5100S when both are broken in.......:greenchainsaw: :greenchainsaw:
I might have to hold out and get the new 346XP instead of the 353! How does it compare to the 353 as far as weight go's? :)

I wasn't actually, but then I saw it - love at first sight/handling!!!!!

The dealer offered to arrange some test cutting, but I desided to make the testing at the cottage......:hmm3grin2orange: :cheers: :cheers:

Ugh, eh,.... seems that the Husky dealers in Norway are providing the Va style Stihl service ..... Told you so to stay out of da backroom, LOLOLOL. :buttkick:

I might have to hold out and get the new 346XP instead of the 353! How does it compare to the 353 as far as weight go's? :)

Same weight "on paper", and it feels that way also, definately lighter and more nimble than the 5100S.

I will knock of a few grams, by replacing the deco valve with a plug - haha......:givebeer: :)

Latest posts

Back