346 xpg - New Edition

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
$400 at the same shop, so I think the new 346 would be worth the extra if you are paying that much, half a Hp more in a small saw is significant.

Yes, it is!

I have a 353 as well, and there is a big difference, even though the 346 is totally new..........

Congratulations to the saw Troll! Very nice to finally hear some reviews of what we only have seen or guessed so far.

Thats how I feel about the 95vp too! This maybe due to the extra raker on it.

I don't think the little ramp is the culprit - that ramp is on lots of other chain models as well, with no ill effect on cutting.

I believe the 95VP just doesn't take a large enough "bite" to make use of the power - it was designed for less powerful saws in the 40-50cc class.

Taking down the rakers will surely help, but I will rather use a chain that is right to begin with.....:biggrinbounce2:

The 2153 is rated a bit lower for power, for some reason......
Thank you for the above and the pm!!;)

My guess is that what you indicate is part of the truth, but also a power level more in line with the 5100 etc.

The newer 350/2150 is 51.7cc, the New Ed 346xp/2153 is just 50.1cc......

The muffler has the outlet on the top (US style), and is not a cat one on my saw.

Well my attempt to score some of these things this week will not work.:mad:

There is a fair amount of inventory of the old model that has to be depleted first. It's "first in, first out". And, I don't know if they even have the new ones yet. The size of the warehouse operation down there is far to big to have someone "Go downstairs and grab me some". Not even in the same building. I'm told that they will have the cat on them, so I expect there will be an increase in muffler sales. There seem to be some on the west coast, as they have a somewhat independent operation out there. I guess the rest of us will have to wait a bit.

As far as the new look is concerned, the gray side cover and top cover snaps are eventually going to be on all XP saws. The idea is to differentiate them from the rest of the line. I understand the reasoning, but I don't get the choice of gray for the XP's, since the old "gray tops" denoted the NON XP saws.

.... I'm told that they will have the cat on them, so I expect there will be an increase in muffler sales. .....

That explains the bore increase, but holding the model number... To AS members, the price increased by a "new muffler" tax. To the rest of the buyers, it will mostly go unnoticed.

As far as the new look is concerned, the gray side cover and top cover snaps are eventually going to be on all XP saws. The idea is to differentiate them from the rest of the line. I understand the reasoning, but I don't get the choice of gray for the XP's, since the old "gray tops" denoted the NON XP saws.

Think of it as silver, or better platinum, not gray - problem solved.....:greenchainsaw: :cheers:

$400 at the same shop, so I think the new 346 would be worth the extra if you are paying that much, half a Hp more in a small saw is significant.
The 353 is $389 and the current 346XP is $440 in my area. The new 346XP just might not work out for me. They might not be available when I buy, hopefully within a month or so. I'm not really into buying something when it first comes out. I like to wait a year or so, so if there are any bugs they will be worked out before I buy. All I'm really trying to do is step up from my 021. The 353 will be a pretty big step.

Last edited:
I can assure you that it will.....:greenchainsaw:
That's all I'm really trying to do Troll. Use the 365 for the larger stuff, 12 inch plus wood and use the 353 for anything smaller. Keep the 021 for clearing trails and shooting lanes at hunting camp and use it around the house if needed.

That explains the bore increase, but holding the model number... To AS members, the price increased by a "new muffler" tax. To the rest of the buyers, it will mostly go unnoticed
The cat muffler on the 346 is easy to defeat. The inside is basicly just like a standard muffler except there is a perferated plate the bisects the muffler.. Taking apart the muffler or taking a die grinder to the plate both work great.

Any word on the Jred equivalent making it to the States?

None, but as you know, they just don't like to talk about new models until they are actually available.

Whether we get it or not, I'm just glad to see that Jonsered added one of the new models SOMEWHERE.

The cat muffler on the 346 is easy to defeat. The inside is basicly just like a standard muffler except there is a perferated plate the bisects the muffler.. Taking apart the muffler or taking a die grinder to the plate both work great.

"Catalytic" coated with platinum and Lord only knows, just like your auto. Just cause you can't see it doesn't mean it won't kill you!

Last edited:
"Catalytic" coated with platinum and Lord only knows, just like your auto. Just cause you can't see it doesn't mean it won't kill you!

I am with you - I would not be comfortable grinding on the coatings they use on catalytic mufflers...

I am with you - I would not be comfortable grinding on the coatings they use on catalytic mufflers...
Glad you guys brought this up. When I did mine I mounted the muffler in a vise and placed a shop vac hose on the back side so as to capture any debris.
You can always pull the muffler apart and remove the plate intact.

Latest posts

Back