346XP for firewood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oakleyhoma

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
firewood saw: ?346xp? or other HUSQ?

Need to get a saw soon. Pretty sure it'll be a Husq. Had a nice used Stihl 360 Pro stolen. The power was nice, but perhaps more than I really needed. We burn wood, I try to cut 3-4 full cords/year. Got a few acres with light stuff around here and there. Eventually, may get into a lot of felling/limbing smallish trees to clear out for some pasture. Meanwhile, need that saw to do the firewood - oak and locust- and I also wouldn't mind keeping the weight less than the nearly 13# 360 Pro I had. Ill probably buy online for less, I have a place with nice prices. I guess the main thing about dealer support ... may not matter to me too much... if I needed something and the local Husky dealer put me back in line for service, it usually wouldn't matter too much to wait a week or a few... Mainly, is the 346XP a decent saw for firewood? What about felling say the 20 inch tree I get into occasionally? Enough torque? Is a 455 Rancher better (but it's heavy!). Are the 350/353 capable enough to walk through a bunch of firewood, or a bit "weak". One dealer told me a bit weak for those. Lord, then there's the 359, but I think that's way too big, and heavy, and expensive. Thanks.

long-winded

OK guys/girls, I see I was long-winded. Basically, I just want to know whether 346 XP, which I've been reading about on the forums, is a decent firewood saw. Does it multi-purpose or is it truly high rpm and great for limbing, but not other things?

I know this has been asked before, but ... For me, 3-4 cord/year of firewood, cleaning up on the 8 acres, sometimes small, sometimes a tree to 18-20 inches. Often stuff 9-15 inches. Does the 346 XP work well? Does it have the torq one needs for a farm/firewood saw? I'm also looking at 350, 353, 455. However, I'd like to stay lighter weight (as I reach mid-40's my back says lightening a bit isn't a bad thing). but with enough power to do my job, and also for a variety of "farmlike/firewood-like" uses. I'd use an 18" bar (maybe even a 16"). Had a nice used Stihl 360 Pro that was stolen. My cutoff is $400 max. (and I've found a 346xp for that). Besides, the Stihl was nice, but maybe a bit heavy? Help.

or do I want a 353?

?? or if there's not much diff 353 vs. 350 (other than some nice features) then why not that for a little firewood-cuttin homeowner, mini-farm guy like myself? That's what I'm hung on... 350, 353, 346XP at absolute upper end of price. Not limbing with it all the time, variety of uses.??

a 346 should work just fine for that volume of cutting. If you can get one used for $400, I'd say go for it. If most of your work could be accomplished with this size saw, and you aren't in a tremendous hurry for the bigger tasks, I would think that a 346 would work. A sharp chain, a 16" bar, and you should be good to go, even if you have to cut from both sides on the bigger stuff.

If you have to buy new, 353 would probably be the best choice. I'd still go with the 16" bar, but hey, I have a thing for small bars/big motors, I guess - I consider my 79cc Dolmar a perfect compliment to a 20" bar.

Last edited:
Yeah?

so, sounds like the 346 is a good saw for firewooding... vs. 350, 353, 455. Right? Or is one of the others actually a better all-round, strong enough, broad enough powerband, saw for my use? Thanks

I would for sure go with the 346XP if your mind is set for husky's.. The 350 has a problem with the screws come lose and dropping out from under the crankcase making it major pain...Sometimes costly...Now me I run a Stihl 026 non pro that I have had since the late 80's that saw has been threw h@;; and back and still runs as good as it was new.. It has never been in the shop for anything..The only things I repalced was the bar,chain,spark plug,drive sprocket..And I cut 6-8 cords a year plus some service work for friends and that 026 is the main saw I use..I do like Husky's alot they are my 2nd choice for a saw but only there pro line (XP)......346xp is a good choice......
I do have other saws but all stihl's but one a husky 350 projectsaw..

oakleyhoma said:
so, sounds like the 346 is a good saw for firewooding... vs. 350, 353, 455. Right? Or is one of the others actually a better all-round, strong enough, broad enough powerband, saw for my use? Thanks
For firewood,choose 346 or 353,dont look at the other ones.I even think that 353 will be better choice for an occasional user as you,she is torquier than 346,and she got the same weight,but if you got a cheap 346,then go for it,you gonna love it also.

Ok, that's helpful. Looks like 346XP is winning. Expensive for my use, but it should last I suppose. Not surprised it may have it over the 350, one dealer said 350 might be just a tad weak for some uses. I"ll go price the Stihl again, but ... they're so high and I need to stay on the $440 budget. Thoughts from others about any of this are still welcome...

if you've gotten used to a 360. going to a 346 as a primary saw. it'll be a little small.

get a 359 or 365 if you've gotta have a husky. or get another 036/360

the346 xp should do what u need. i think u mite like the 95vp chain on it. smooth,fast,and holds edge well.i also like full chisel. but at least the way i sharpen,it is no faster and needs touchup more often.did i mention the 95 is smoooth. with athritic hands ,i can tell a big difference at days end.good luck.

You can get a new MS260 for 430.00..Just if you where wondering.. Plus it is pro model from Stihl .. Plus if you don't like it you can take it back in 30 day's and get your money back .. Backed up by Stihl.....

oakleyhoma said:
Ok, that's helpful. Looks like 346XP is winning. Expensive for my use, but it should last I suppose. Not surprised it may have it over the 350, one dealer said 350 might be just a tad weak for some uses. I"ll go price the Stihl again, but ... they're so high and I need to stay on the $440 budget. Thoughts from others about any of this are still welcome...

If you can find a good deal on a 260/260Pro, that wouldn't be a bad choice. I know a couple guys who handle all their home heating needs with 260s or an 024, and they've had their saws forever. I would not want to go any smaller than that if is an only saw, though.

As for the Husqvarna 455/Stihl 290-310-390 series, these are OK choices if weight isn't an issue. But as you suggest that it is, I would stay away from them, even though the Stihl 290- series is supposedly very, very reliable.

OK, seems like good advice. The Stihl would be great, but I can't justify the price this time, even if the saw I end up with is a bit less powerhouse. But to reduce weight a little is worth something too and the XP is lighter. Anyway, I guess I should assume the smaller, less expensive saws, 350, 353, etc. aren't as well thought of, for my intended uses. I'm waiting to hear about the 359 (which is probably a fine saw, maybe the comp to Stihl 360Pro (or, I guess it's 361 now?) -- but it's heavy and even pricier... I'll keep monitoring here if anyone else has comment.. like, lack of torque in the 346 vs. say a 455 Rancher?

Maybe at this point I should look at local pricing for Stihl 260. Geeps, I've edged upward and upward in price. I was absolutely positive the Husq 353 (or even 350) would do me well, and I'm slipping.... Sounds like the Stihl 260 (guess it's Pro) would be about the only Stihl I might afford and also about the only one I should consider...

computeruser, good point. I've done all that already though. Then when I started calling a few places, I got advice that differs from what I've read on forums and in the specs pages. There's a lot of "you need the 455 RAncher". Anyways, I'll go back to the specs,.. again. Thank for your help.

oakleyhoma said:
Geeps, I've edged upward and upward in price.

Welcome to the club!

If there is one thing that spending time on arboristsite will do is make you feel that saw X is never enough saw for what you had in mind to use it for. Next thing you know, you're cutting up small branches so they'll fit in a trashcan using a 660...

And you should be aware that many of us have found that a lot of dealers try really hard to sell the 455 Rancher/Stihl 290-type saws to everybody, irrespective of their true needs.

aha, so I had begun to suspect. Thx for the tip. Guess I'm on my own. Funny haven't heard good news about the ol' Husky 353, seems like I'd seen a lot of happy users previously.

If you go too a MS260..That is the saw that sold me on Stihl's.. It has been the most trusty saw I have ever owned.. It is just down right most solid saw you will own..Now there is a MS260 std and a MS260Pro...The MS260STD is a pro saw but with out adj oiler and decompression valve... The Pro has the adj.oiler and decompression valve.. Plus the Pro runs about 45-75 more the the std...
They both have... intelliCarb compensating carburetor... side access chain tensioner... toolless fuel and oil caps with retainers .. They both weigh in at 10.6lbs...Engine size 50.2 cc ..3.2 bhp......Plus you can't beat there dealer network they have...

Latest posts

Back