346XP for firewood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have dealers for both brands where I live. I'd hoped to keep price down, initially to $350, so was looking online. Figured, a Husky for good price online... if the local Husky dealer didn't put me first in line, that'd be OK because I can wait if I have a breakdown. I'm not a pro. But price edges upward and upward. If I have to spend more like $400 to get what I think I need, then I should look at MS 260 or 260 Pro at my local dealer (but I'm sure it'll go beyond $400).

It shouldn't be more the 429.99 or 430.00.. That what my dealers are getting for them here for that MS260..

Let us all know how you turn out

I used to run Stihl 260's as my midsize saw. Stihl overengineered one too many times and at one point made the saw all but unusable thanks to the fixed jet carb. The oiler output has been reduced to the point that bars and chains don't get quite enough lube and I needed to replace bars more often than I preferred. Stihl even reduced the size of the oil tank a few years back. I gave away my last 260 just to be rid of it. That was about a month after buying my first Husky 346XP.

Anyway, I'm biased against most Stihls after running them for 15 years and recently moving to mostly Husky saws. But the Stihl 260 and Husky 346 are identical in power (at least on paper) and I find the Husky much easier to use. The 353 is the same saw as the 346 but with a different jug and piston. I believe the porting is a little different to make it not so 'peaky'. My 346 loves to scream wide open and will blast through the wood as long as I keep the rpm's up.

The 346 should be around $360-$375 I think, I bought my last one in October and I know it was less than $400.

[thanks to the fixed jet carb.

Just to let you know they have want back to a adjustable carb now it is a WTE1 or a WTE2 carb now:D .....Not even in most books yet..But yes the 346XP is a good saw too..:blob2:

I do a lot of fire wood per for myself and if you are into that much wood a year for yourself the BEST BET is to get 2 saws. Its a killer limbing with a heavy saw and slow to cut big stuff with a smaller saw. I own a 346XP and a 372Xp . Just the right balance for firewood . Now that 346xP is FAST ! makes short order of limbing and the 16" and under stuff with no problem at all . If you fill up the 18" bar with wood it does have its drawbacks . 18" and up i pull out the 372Xp and it cuts the big stuff like the 346XP cuts the small stuff. REAL~FAST ! IF 70% of what you need to cut is 18" and under and have to have just one saw than i would go with the 346XP or the 359 if you dont mind the little extra weight. If you need to cut 50% or less at 18" and under and have a lot of 20" and over wood "I would go with 2 saws" Just my 12 years experence with cutting firewood . I myself couldnt imagine cutting firewood with just one saw. If $$ is a must on a budget i would get the 365 AND a smaller saw like a Husky 340 , Stihl MS170 , ECHO CS-346

Last edited:
Rs, thats what I did. Trade a worn out Husky 142 in on a Stihl 310....With only one saw to tote around I got to thinking about how nice having the lite saw was...and wanting a saw I could put a bigger bar on...I went back and traded the 310 for a 460 and a 180. The 180 sports a 14" and I have a 20" and 28" for the 460.

CaseyForrest said:
Rs, thats what I did. Trade a worn out Husky 142 in on a Stihl 310....With only one saw to tote around I got to thinking about how nice having the lite saw was...and wanting a saw I could put a bigger bar on...I went back and traded the 310 for a 460 and a 180. The 180 sports a 14" and I have a 20" and 28" for the 460.
Sounds like a perfect mix. Its not killer to have to cut big wood with a smaller saw .........its just very slow and the smaller saw is just not made for it. Now trying to do it all with a big saw is just way too much work.

oakleyhoma said:
OK, seems like good advice. The Stihl would be great, but I can't justify the price this time, even if the saw I end up with is a bit less powerhouse. But to reduce weight a little is worth something too and the XP is lighter. Anyway, I guess I should assume the smaller, less expensive saws, 350, 353, etc. aren't as well thought of, for my intended uses. I'm waiting to hear about the 359 (which is probably a fine saw, maybe the comp to Stihl 360Pro (or, I guess it's 361 now?) -- but it's heavy and even pricier... I'll keep monitoring here if anyone else has comment.. like, lack of torque in the 346 vs. say a 455 Rancher?

oakleyhoma,
I am no expert, but here is my take...
For the past 10+ years I have cut 10-12 cords of firewood per year using a $149 Home Depot 38cc Poulan I bought in 1995. That's right, a cheap little Poulan. That thing has never missed a beat. :greenchainsaw:

This past year we bought a 35 acre camp with lots and lots of trees. I found myself cutting 20 cords this past year around golf and deer hunting. I decided to buy a Stihl 260 Pro this week. My cutting amount has increased beyond what my 38c saw can handle. I have to cut faster so I can do other things.;)

The 260 Pro cost me $479. Here is how I justify it. If I were buying wood from someone, I would be paying about $60/cord. If I cut 8 cords of firewood (I will do that in no time at all), this saw has paid for itself. I have lots of blow downs to cut up to neaten my camp, some of them are very big trees. The 260 Pro has a decomp valve which makes starting easier, and I need that because of physical problems I now have. I can't pull start a high compression saw easily at all. Plus the 260 pro is very, very light. Another plus.

If I were you, I wouldn't hesitate buying the MS260 Pro.
Oh yeah, I put a 14" chain on the little Poulan and it is my limbing saw. Love that Poulan.:rock:

oakleyhoma said:
aha, so I had begun to suspect. Thx for the tip. Guess I'm on my own. Funny haven't heard good news about the ol' Husky 353, seems like I'd seen a lot of happy users previously.

There are many people here, including myself, on record recommending the 353. It's a great saw. You can't expect everyone to repeat themselves each time the question is asked. Consider the previous positive recommendations still in effect.

asb151 said:
There are many people here, including myself, on record recommending the 353. It's a great saw. You can't expect everyone to repeat themselves each time the question is asked. Consider the previous positive recommendations still in effect.
I put up a pile of firewood each year with my 353. 18" bar and good power, lightweight and runs like a champ. Love the saw

I will join the rest of the guys, I have a 353 and cut a fair amount of wood with it and I love it. I have had two buddies running bigger saws both get one after they ran mine. one ran a husky365 the other a stihl 360 not that either of those is bad and they still kept them but the 353 is lighter and cuts very well, I run an 18 inch bar on mine.

Another satisfied 353 owner...

I bought a 353 (w/ a 16" bar) last September and since then it has felled, limbed, and blocked several full cords of firewood. Reading the posts on this site each day eventually gave me "saw envy" which led me to buy a Husky 372xp. Although I thoroughly enjoy using the 372xp, my 353 is plenty capable for firewood cutting and is a helluva lot easier to limb with (>3.5 lbs. lighter). The 353 is also a bit easier to use because of it's wider power band. The "xp" saws seem to generate their power at a higher rpm and can bog down if you don't keep them spinning fast. Although I have not used the 346xp, I suspect that it will also tend to bog down when making large cuts if it's not spinning at an ideal rpm. As a non-pro firewood cutter, if I had to choose a SINGLE saw for felling, limbing and, blocking, it would be the 353.

Just .02 cents from a rookie firewood guy.

I highly recommend the 353, it's a very productive fire wood saw. I've had my 353 for 3 years now and it runs like a top, I haven't had a single problem with it.

Last spring I cut this pile of wood with my 353. I did all the cutting and splitting in one day.

HiOctane said:
For firewood,choose 346 or 353,dont look at the other ones.I even think that 353 will be better choice for an occasional user as you, she is torquier than 346,and she got the same weight, but if you got a cheap 346,then go for it, you gonna love it also.
Another satisfied firewood cutting 353 user here!:clap:
I have also had mine for 3 years, and there has been no issues with it.
With the narrow kerf 95VP chain, it is fast enough for my non-pro use, and smooth. The 353/2152 are also popular by the pros here.

I did not really need the 361 for my up to about 20" birches. I just wanted it after lurking around AS for a while....:greenchainsaw:

Unlike the 346xp it does have a decomp valve, and it is slightly (.2 kg) heavier. Otherwise they are the same saw.

There, in Tromso are 20" (50cm) birches, in so north, gret news:clap:
Golf tide:confused:

On topic, if to look Stihl, if MS260 is too pricy, the MS250/270/280 is alternative, not MS290/310/390

346xp, 350, 353, .... any of them will do the job. I run 346's most of the time cutting firewood and clearing lots. Over 16 inches the bigger saws come out but not if its just a couple of trees or logs or a realllly big tree. It really comes down to what you really want to spend and how long you want to wait for the saw to finish the cut. A 353 sounds perfect for your needs.

I wouldn't go w/ a 455, heavy and slow.

Rokdaddy said:
I bought a 353 (w/ a 16" bar) last September and since then it has felled, limbed, and blocked several full cords of firewood. Reading the posts on this site each day eventually gave me "saw envy" which led me to buy a Husky 372xp. Although I thoroughly enjoy using the 372xp, my 353 is plenty capable for firewood cutting and is a helluva lot easier to limb with (>3.5 lbs. lighter). The 353 is also a bit easier to use because of it's wider power band. The "xp" saws seem to generate their power at a higher rpm and can bog down if you don't keep them spinning fast. Although I have not used the 346xp, I suspect that it will also tend to bog down when making large cuts if it's not spinning at an ideal rpm. As a non-pro firewood cutter, if I had to choose a SINGLE saw for felling, limbing and, blocking, it would be the 353.

Just .02 cents from a rookie firewood guy.

Yea I also had some 372 envy and I do buy many things I DON"T need. I even bought a new 240 JD skiloader, because a wanted one. Much more money than a 372. I just kept telling myself that the 353 will do all I need it to do. and it does. Do i still want a 372, yup? Will a buy one in the next few months before there is no more to have? Don't know, I hope not!!! The little 353 does a great job for my firewood needs.

pinus said:
There, in Tromso are 20" (50cm) birches, in so north, gret news:clap:
Golf tide:confused:
Golf current, not tide - and yes, it helps a lot here, far North of the Polar Circle:) .

Remember i said up to 20", most mature ones are 12 to 16" dbh, some are about 20" at the stump. The highest one that I have measured was 22 meters high and about 20" dbh.
The largest one that I have seen where our woodlot is was about 36" at the stump, but split in three at dbh hight. I have not seen another one even close to that.

One last check in - OK you guys are great and I appreciate all the comments. I think it'll be a 353, and with the extra $ I can save (yes, with online purchase) I'll apply it toward safety: helment/face shield and chaps or pants.

Final big of help: Chaps sound bulky, with buckles and strings and hooks and stuff like that. More to catch on in the brush. I'm not always on nice level ground where I'm at either. So I thought pants are better. True? I see Baileys has some nice green pants for $65. Aren't pants more comfortable and are these at Baileys safe enough -rated Class A. Any help or what do you suggest?
Are there other pants that are proper class rating (still need to learn about class A vs. B), with polyester to jam the blade and kevlar sounds good too.

Golf current, yes:)
That woodlot is probably a natural origination, not a human recreation.
In our area the highest birch is 35m tall, spruce and pine both are reaching on good soil 45-50m at 150-250 age.

Latest posts

Back