346xp vs MS241 vs 450

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NC Cutter

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Let me restructure and simplify this convoluted thread.

Is a Husqvarna 346xp worth finding and repairing over the cost of a new Stihl 241?

What is the average "sold" price on a lightly used 346xp? How about a well used example?

Is the Husqvarna 450 a viable alternative to either? Consider price and value here on this last question please.

Thanks!

Is a Husqvarna 346xp worth finding and repairing over the cost of a new Stihl 241?
You are comparing a 50cc saw to a 40cc saw. This is not a smart thing to do and will only disappoint.

What is the average "sold" price on a lightly used 346xp? How about a well used example?
Good luck finding a "lightly used" model. "Well used" and abused are very difficult to differentiate. Further it always depends on price, but be prepared, if you want to use the saw for a longer time, to do a complete rebuild! That may cost up to a few hundred dollars depending on damage!

Is the Husqvarna 450 a viable alternative to either? Consider price and value here on this last question please.
Again you are mixing oranges with apples! Throwing a hobby saw into the ring with pro equipment is senseless.

What are the sensable alternatives?
40cc => Dolmar 421, Echo 490
50cc => Husqvarna 545, Dolmar 5105, Echo 501sx

You are comparing a 50cc saw to a 40cc saw. This is not a smart thing to do and will only disappoint.

Good luck finding a "lightly used" model. "Well used" and abused are very difficult to differentiate. Further it always depends on price, but be prepared, if you want to use the saw for a longer time, to do a complete rebuild! That may cost up to a few hundred dollars depending on damage!

Again you are mixing oranges with apples! Throwing a hobby saw into the ring with pro equipment is senseless.

What are the sensable alternatives?
40cc => Dolmar 421, Echo 490
50cc => Husqvarna 545, Dolmar 5105, Echo 501sx

Not sure I would call it dumb. I've read quite a few reviews on this saw and the owners seem to think that it compares favorably to the 50cc saws. Maybe not better than, but a viable alternative nonetheless.

No idea on value? I realize there are many variables. I was just looking for ballpark closing sale numbers.

More like Red Delicious vs Fuji. Both are saws that cut wood and both have the same size engine. Obviously one is built a little better than the other, but also costs more. The question should have been worded "which is the better value, older used pro saw or new farm saw"? How much better and is that worth the cost are the questions. I've seen a lot of commercial users toting "farm" saws around here. From local and county maintenance crews to landscapers. Our logging here is done with large harvesters, not hand held saws.

The only Dolmar dealer I know of is a small landscape business who orders saws on the side working out of his garage. He may be GTG, but the situation doesn't really instill confidence. That rules them out in my mind.

The closest Echo dealer is primarily a large tractor dealership. They seem professional enough, but I'm not sure how knowledgeable about saws they actually are. From my conversations with them, the Echo outdoor power equipment are simply a side business and their focus is primarily selling and servicing large farm equipment. I've heard positive things about the Echo saws, so this pains me a bit.

I do not want an Auto Tune saw. The two main Husky dealers are no longer carrying Husqvarna brand equipment for various reasons. I feel I can only trust one of which to work on a normal carb Husky saw even though they're no longer a Husky dealer. I'm not an engine hobbyist. I enjoy using chainsaws and the work they accomplish for me here on the farm. I do need some sort of support and there's not a Husky dealer that I know of within an hour of me that will work on an Auto Tune saw. The Stihl is a different matter, so that's why I'd consider one of their computer saws. I had a 261 and was underwhelmed by the experience. The 241 reports really surprised me, so that's why it was on my list.

I don't understand the question, however, I really like my Remax gz4000 with Stihl PS chain.

I thought I cleaned up the question enough from my original post...lol.

Okay, I have a 372xp (2014) and would like a smaller saws for smaller chores. Trail clearing, shooting lanes, hunting stand sites, dam clearing at our pond, clearing around the pond, clearing limbs from the fields and yards etc. The big Husky works, but gets tiresome unless I'm cutting big rounds for the furniture I make occasionally. I sold all my other smaller Stihl saws in a move towards a one saw plan. It works great for cutting the big stuff, but not so well on the smaller. I continue to read how great the 346xp is (or was) and the fact that it's a non Auto Tune saw has me casually keeping an eye out for one. Yard sales, flea markets, farm auctions etc. I also read opinions that It's the most overrated saw out there.

I don't have to have this saw, but it would be nice.

My question is mainly is this saw really worth the trouble (including cost) over a readily available Husky 450, which seems to perform well above its humble origins? The Stihl 241 was thrown in because it was on my mind. The owners seem to really like this saw and it supposedly punches well above its fighting weight. It's new and a pro saw that seems to fit what I want out of it. Expensive though.

Like I mentioned, I don't absolutely need this saw. I'm just ruminating and thinking "what if I come across a 346xp in decent shape" type of thing. Is the added performance worth the trouble and possibly additional cost for my individual purposes? Should I jump on it if I run across one and how much should I pay for one? Just talking out loud and getting feedback from guys that know and love this stuff is all. ;)

Now, I understand. I am a simple man.
If I were you I would like a smaller saw too. Would I be satisfied with a Husky 450. Probably not. Would I spend the asking price for a Stihl 241, H... no. If I found a 346-2153 at a good price would I buy it yes. Would a 50cc saw take the place of my Redmax4000 or a 3800, no, because I harvest a lot of cedar and the Redmax is the best saw I have found for this type of work. These are my opinions and I am sure no one agrees with all of them.:yes:

@NC Cutter ,

Wow a lot of words to reply to!

First: I DONOT comply to the usual dictation of having a dealer close by! If you buy a quality product it should last you at least a decade without any major problems. In my experience and being on this and other sites around the world, the main time for problems is during the first few weeks. Even with this in mind I have very seldom read about any major problems with quality products. So for me, I have and will buy always with my wallet in mind! If that is ebay or the store next door depends on price/quality they have at hand.
The reason I have mentioned the Dolmar 421 is that it is, power & quality wise, in the equivalent league to the Stihl 241, at about 1/2 price! Yes they are heavier and are classic two stroke technology, but that technology has served very well for decades. There are pros here who have runs HUNDREDS of refills through their 421 without a problem at all! And since it is a "classic" two stroke, ANY small engine mechanic can work on it without special electronic equipment.
We have dealers here on this site who are legendary when service, etc. are mentioned. @fordf150 , @166, etc. are only a few mentioned who I wouldn't hesitate one second to buy from!

Second: I DONOT believe in a one saw plan! That is in my eyes an illusion. Although I DO believe in a two saw plan. For me in my area of tree cutting a 40 & 60cc combo is ideal, other's prefer the 50 & 70cc combo. But personally I like the smaller 40cc class ALOT! Why? Because the more powerful in this class are nipping at the heel's of the mediocre 50cc class! Further they aren't so heavy to be a pain to carry and work with over a prolonged time.

Third: I DONOT like to buy used pro main stream saws anymore! Why? Because there are nowadays so many aftermarket parts, in totally different quality spectrums, swirling around you have absolutely NO IDEA what you are actually buying without a major tear down. Further there are hacks out there that just quickly replace the piston to get the saw up and running again, that simply ignore the reason WHY the saw died (f.e. air leak through worn out seals, etc.). A quick polish up and off they go to the new buyer... So if you are not buying from a reputable fellow from here or a dealer it is often a toss of the coin...

Forth: I DONOT like spending money on unneeded "extras"! What would these be? F.e. the brand name. I donot care if the name on the saw let's all my sawing budies kneel down when I appear at the scene! I have some real unknown brands, but the quality is equivalent to any of the top brands. As mentioned above I prefer the savings in my wallet over the name players. Because of this reason I can buy all day long "pro" saws from the "minor" brands for the price of a "farmer" line saw from the top brand!
Further having top of the line is nice to have, but I am not a pro and at the end of the day I will NOT have cut a single branch more even if it has rev boost or similar! So usually, as you have already included in your first post, a medium level saw is a good choice. For me, to stay with husqvarna, the TOP choice at the moment would be the husqvarna 545 or jonsered equivalent.

Good luck with whatever you choose!

The 450 is 50cc while the 346xp is only 45cc. With the 450 you get a warranty along with dealer support for around 400 dollars and from what I've seen the 346 selling for on fleebay you could end up paying more than if bought a new 450. I'd recommend a gz4500 but they are getting hard to find.

The 450 is 50cc while the 346xp is only 45cc. With the 450 you get a warranty along with dealer support for around 400 dollars and from what I've seen the 346 selling for on fleebay you could end up paying more than if bought a new 450. I'd recommend a gz4500 but they are getting hard to find.
The NE 346 is 50cc.

There is a used 346 OE in the trading post (45 Cc). The 450 would cut plenty of wood for the situations you described. I like the 50 Cc Huskies. I have a 350, 346, 2252, and a 550. If you can find a Redmax 5300, it is a 353 Husky in red and black colors.

The 450 is 50cc while the 346xp is only 45cc. .....

There are both 45 and 50cc versions of the 346xp, it depends on how old the saw is. Even the ol' 45cc version is much stronger that any of the 42/43 cc saws on the market though. The 45cc 346 also will outperform the 50cc 450 in most use that is relevant for a saw this size.

Thanks for all the replies and advise.

Maybe a little more clarification is needed.

A friend of a friend is getting a divorce and has a 346 for sale. Or at least he did. It was in decent shape from the pic I seen and was cheap. My friend called me back yesterday shortly after I'd made my initial post including this to inform me the guy is waffling on selling his tools. I guess the guy isn't ready to get rid of it yet or is still thinking about what absolutely must go. Who knows. I've been there before myself. You feel like Steve Martin in The Jerk wanting to hold onto everything, all the while your world is spinning out of control. So, this saw may or may not be available at a later time. I'm not going to be "that guy" hounding this dude like a vulture to let go of his stuff. We'll see.

I ran across another 346xp a week and a half ago. At least that's what I think it was. I get the Husky numbers mixed up if I don't immediately recognize them. It was at this old man's barn who kind of runs a makeshift pawn shop out of his place in the country. Don't bother looking as he doesn't advertise or anything. Invites for local farmers and their kin only type of place. Tools, power tools, tractors, implements, boats and guns are his mainstays with a little jewelry mixed in. I'm pretty sure he's on the up and up as he's related to a local deputy. I've bought a few smaller Stihls off of him in the past and they've been excellent. Usually $150 for Stihls and $100 for Husqvarnas. On my last visit, he had a smaller Husky I didn't immediately recognize. I meant to write down the number, but I got busy after I left and forgot which one it was exactly. 346 or maybe 435, not sure. I'm a little embarrassed to say that on here, but there it is. I know it wasn't a 500 series # or above or I would have been real excited and took it on the spot. He wanted $75 for it and it was in great shape. The gas cap needed replacing and the chain was hosed, but that's it. I didn't really start thinking about it till yesterday evening when I started researching the smaller saws on here. I didn't want to bother him today (Sunday), but I'll shoot over there to give it a closer look tomorrow sometime.

The ONLY way these saws are comparable is if they are ported. A ported 241 with 63PS chain is actually capable of performance similar to a ported 346 with .325.

Making a cookie or 3, that wouldn't surprise me - the Picco setup likely is an advantage in such a setting.

Back