395 has arrived !

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tribalwind

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Ahhh, finally on my way towards getting some actual milling done !
was worth the wait i feel :)
found this on ebay for about 750 new. came with a 28" bar and 2 loops. that'll be enough to do some log sections i have in the driveway,but
i'm looking on ebay now now and have found several 42 and 44" bars.

heres one i was looking at, i'd like to know if this will fit the bill,?

think my main confusions are with the chains though.
i'm unclear on how 50 and 63 gauge will affect the cut or outcome.
and what pitch would i be wanting 404.365 ?
thanks again,
i'll get some pics together once i have got this thing together.

What type of mill are you using?

What size sprocket on the saw? It should say 3/8ths or something.

I assume you know you need to use ripping chain.

yes it says 3/8ths on the bar and saws manual for 'pitch',no reference to sprocket but i assume this is the same
sorry i must've deleted that paragraph. it's a 36'' Alaskan.

i was looking at a 25' reel from baileys of either the 30RP or 33RP woodsman pro ripping chain, i'd have to buy their breaker/spinner set as well in this case?
i didint see ripping chain loops available.

All I have to say is, call Bailey's, if that is who you are going to buy from and don't buy a spool. Easy does it. They sell loops. Heck, you haven't even used the thing and your buying spools. You might not even like it. :laugh: Try a couple of loops of some different stuff before buying a spool. Spend your money on a sharpener.
Anyway, Bailey's will hook you up with pitch and gauge, just have the info ready for them and your set.

"woodshop" runs a 395 and will probably be along to comment on his set-up. (holidays might have him in tied up). I'd hold off purchasing until you get a few suggestions first, might help avoid a few mis-matches.

Even though a breaker/spinner along with a reel of chain would be nice you can buy pre-made ripping chain loops from bailey's.

Sorry I'm not much help on this one.

I have a 395 that I bought recently for milling. Baileys has ripping chain for your 3/8 sprocket. I havent used their ripping chain on the big bar yet but have used it on a 24 inch bar on another saw and it performs very well. Just tell them your pitch, gauge and how many drive links you want and they will hook you right up. Good luck with your saw and let us know how you like it. BTW the guys in here also suggested to me to break the saw in before milling with it. Just use it for normal firewood cutting and such for 5 to 10 tanks of gas before you put it through the rigors of milling. Again congratulations and good luck.

tribalwind said:
yes it says 3/8ths on the bar and saws manual for 'pitch',no reference to sprocket but i assume this is the same
sorry i must've deleted that paragraph. it's a 36'' Alaskan.

i was looking at a 25' reel from baileys of either the 30RP or 33RP woodsman pro ripping chain, i'd have to buy their breaker/spinner set as well in this case?
i didn't see ripping chain loops available.
Tribal, simple answer is the pitch has to match the bar. If that 28 inch bar you got with the saw has a .050 pitch you need 3/8 .050 ripping chain. If it's a .063 pitch as many of the longer bars are, then you'll need 3/8 .063 ripping chain. Stay away from the .404, you really don't need it, 3/8 is plenty.

You can buy a large reel and make your own loop, that's what I do, and yes you will then need the breaker/spinner. It will take a bunch of loops though to eventually make up for the price of that breaker/spinner. In my case, I do enough milling and chainsaw work that it does. Or jump on Bailey's, and order a milling chain. They sell those by the link, so you just order the number of links, and they pop it together and send the required length. Do the math and see if it's worth it to you. The number of links you will need as well as what pitch the bar is, is usually stamped on the bar near the powerhead end. Also don't assume that just because a bar is say 36 inches, that another 36 inch bar will take exact same number of links. My Powermatch 36 inch bar, and my Husky 36 inch bar are several links different. Remember also that you lose 5-8 inches of bar mounting on that mill. So your 28 inch bar will actually only mill say 22 inches. If you take the dogs off of the powerhead you get another inch or so. I do with my 395.

I also agree with Dusty, and others in this forum that say you should really run at least 5 or 6 tanks of mix through the saw before dedicating it to full time full power heavy milling. I know you're gonna want to pop that thing right on the mill and start making lumber right away. If you're only doing small stuff at the beginning, my gut feeling is you're OK because then you're working that saw intermittently (kinda) anyway. But if you're going to bury it in a 24 inch wide oak and power full throttle down an 8 ft log for 10-12 minutes strait right off the bat... not a good idea. What I did was pop a smaller bar on my 395 when I got it and used it in place of my 60 cc saw for a while before graduating it to full time milling. Go cut some firewood for a buddy with it... whatever. There ARE a few guys over on the chainsaw forum that say just take it out of the box and run it hard right from the start... but more say not to mill hard with it right away. I buy into the latter.

Any more questions... ask away.

Back