395xp Build

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parrisw

Tree Freak
Reaction score
Here is the next project, still waiting on some bits to finish up the 371, so thought I'd start on this saw.

Here is a few pics so far, its all stripped down.

Making a threaded insert to fix stripped out threads in the case, that hold the top cover on.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Drilled out and tapped to larger size.

attachment.php

Insert installed with loctite.

attachment.php

Other side done as well.

attachment.php

Nice work on the inserts. Have seen many helicoiled and we know how long those last.
I will also be watching this one closely as I have one waiting to be restored.

I like those threaded inserts. Would you be able to explain steps and tools you used. I have the same problem but was going to use a more primetive technique.

Seams to be a thread weekly on the difference in the 394 - 395. Would you mind posting a good pic of the 395 cyl,intake, and carb.

I like those threaded inserts. Would you be able to explain steps and tools you used. I have the same problem but was going to use a more primetive technique.

Easy actually. I took a 5/16" NC bolt, chucked it in the lathe center drilled the bolt with a centering bit, then use the proper drill bit for the thread you need, this was 5/32" for final thread of M5x.8. Once the hole is drilled in the bolt, I chuck the tap in the tailstock drill chuck and start taping with the bolt still in the lathe chuck to get it started, this gets it perfectly straight, then I take it out of the lathe and put it in a vise and finish by hand.

Seams to be a thread weekly on the difference in the 394 - 395. Would you mind posting a good pic of the 395 cyl,intake, and carb.

Sure I can do that.

Thanks for the explanation, I dont have a lath but I realy like that solution. Much better than trying to tap JB weld. Love these threads I learn alot from them. Will definitely be following.

Thanks for the explanation, I dont have a lath but I realy like that solution. Much better than trying to tap JB weld. Love these threads I learn alot from them. Will definitely be following.

Your very welcome. It would be very hard to make these without a Lathe, if you don't have a lathe, Id recommend buying threaded inserts, not helicoils, use Keenserts, or Timeserts.

You going to port this one and use a 2101 piston in it?

It looks like it will be a good build. Can't wait to see the results.

Latest posts

Back