395xp Build

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It looks like it will be a good build. Can't wait to see the results.

Yes, I hope so. I'm waiting on parts now. Can't go any further. Ordered bearings and seals from Baileys, along with some other odd's and ends, man I tell ya doesn't take long to rack up a $200 bill there.

It doesn't take long to rack up a big bill anywhere it seems like. I keep looking at a 32" reduced weight bar here lately. It doesn't take much after one of them to make a big order.

Yes, I hope so. I'm waiting on parts now. Can't go any further. Ordered bearings and seals from Baileys, along with some other odd's and ends, man I tell ya doesn't take long to rack up a $200 bill there.

Tell me about it! I just bought a husky 346xp-ne. Then turned around and made a large order from baileys. May has turned out to be one expensive month for me!

Do not tell the wife!!! :monkey:

It doesn't take long to rack up a big bill anywhere it seems like. I keep looking at a 32" reduced weight bar here lately. It doesn't take much after one of them to make a big order.

Yes they are nice. I got a 36" reduced weight hanging off my other 395, they sure are nice.

Tell me about it! I just bought a husky 346xp-ne. Then turned around and made a large order from baileys. May has turned out to be one expensive month for me!

Do not tell the wife!!! :monkey:

Your secret is safe with me!

If you end up needing a 2101 piston Will, I have a new one here that was already turned down a bit that you can have. We went a little skinny on the upper ring land, about .080" or so but it would hold up fine in a worksaw.

If you end up needing a 2101 piston Will, I have a new one here that was already turned down a bit that you can have. We went a little skinny on the upper ring land, about .080" or so but it would hold up fine in a worksaw.

Ya, I might take ya up on that. Which brand is it? I think the last one I went to .090 on the ring land, cant remember now? Do you think .080 is pushing it?

I have an Espian one here that isn't full circle, but I don't think I want to use it, its real tight in the bore for some reason?

The Episan piston is probably sized for a "C" cylinder, rather than A or B. So it's around .0004" or so larger than an A, B, or AB piston.

I'll send this 2101 piston along with the 390 cylinder tomorrow.

not to hijack :monkey:, but could someone speak to the 2101 piston in the 39x a bit?

I don't think it would make sense in my 395, as the compression is 175, but i like power :clap::clap:

:cheers:

not to hijack :monkey:, but could someone speak to the 2101 piston in the 39x a bit?

I don't think it would make sense in my 395, as the compression is 175, but i like power :clap::clap:

:cheers:

Your compression is plenty. The 2101 has a higher deck height, but you need to machine it into a popup, its also full circle, meaning it has no skirt edges, so you can go wider on the ports if you want to.

Okay, back to this saw for some work.

Crank bearings pulled off crank.

attachment.php

New bearings installed in case.

attachment.php

Case all together with crank.

attachment.php

New crank seals installed.

attachment.php

Not sure if this is going back stock or ported, depends on what the guy wants that may be buying it.

Your compression is plenty. The 2101 has a higher deck height, but you need to machine it into a popup, its also full circle, meaning it has no skirt edges, so you can go wider on the ports if you want to.

so...what would one be machining?

I'd presume this would work with a 394 also? I may have a project soon :)

as the 95 will not make sense tearing it down with piston machine grooves showing still on the exhaust side...:rock:

awesome walk-through, btw! how hard is it to seperate the cases??:confused: I've seen the tool.. but can't afford THAT!

I'm presuming the bearings are pressed into the case 1st (like above pics...) but they are attached to the crank upon splitting cause of the press-fit?

case goes 'POP' when your seperating halves?

J

so...what would one be machining?

I'd presume this would work with a 394 also? I may have a project soon :)

as the 95 will not make sense tearing it down with piston machine grooves showing still on the exhaust side...:rock:

awesome walk-through, btw! how hard is it to seperate the cases??:confused: I've seen the tool.. but can't afford THAT!

I'm presuming the bearings are pressed into the case 1st (like above pics...) but they are attached to the crank upon splitting cause of the press-fit?

case goes 'POP' when your seperating halves?

J

You machine the top of the piston down around the outside creating a pop-up piston, you must do this on the 2101 because the crown height is too high and would hit the top of the cylinder.

Not hard to seperate the case, I made my own tool to do this see it here.

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=131911

That's a 371 build I just finished.

You put the bearings in the case on assembly, usually when you take it apart they are stuck to the crank, and you need a puller to get them off. I heat the case and the new bearings just fall right in.

Nice work Parris. That case looks to be in good condition, very little clutch side damage. Watch alot of saw auctions from up north and they usually have heavy chain scaring.

Good thread

Back