395xp Build

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:) not that i don't want to learn...but it almost seemed like you SMOKED (i know, use that term lightly...lol) your old saw with the speed of this one...

so, no 2101 piston? stick to the 395 slug?

You can get very good compression with the stock piston. The 2101 was an experiment, which turned out well, but I may revisit that saw and see what I can do with it. The 2101 piston is heavier by a fair amount, but its got wide skirts, but you must machine it to work. I like the Meteor now for the 395, they have a little taller crown height and wider skirts, and are very good quality. I already have another here for the next 395.

Ahhh, well, they've been known to toast a couple saws, this one just seems touchy on the high end, I told him not to touch it if he feels at all uncomfortable, I said just bring it to me and I'll do it, I see them weekly so its not a problem there.

This saw used to be theirs!! LOL, I traded them for it, I build up a good 200T for them, so I got the 395 plus some cash. Then one of them smeared a piston on his personal 395xpg, so I took that in trade for this 395 plus some cash. So its just a big freakin circle.

That sounds so famliar,,,,, When it comes to really tuning,,,,, Well they keep me busy!!!! LOLOL!!!!

The 2101 piston is heavier by a fair amount, but its got wide skirts, but you must machine it to work. I like the Meteor now for the 395, they have a little taller crown height and wider skirts, and are very good quality. I already have another here for the next 395.

I was thinking of going with the Meteor on my 394 build,,,,to what extent of machining did it take on the 2101??? Just building the Pop up????

Last edited:
I've been setting my 200T's at 13500. I don't see much better performance on them at 14000. My 357Xp is a lame dog at 13500 but nudge it up to 13800-1400 0 and it really comes to life. I'm a chicken with leaning them out since blowing a piston a while back on a saw that I thought I had rich enough.

I've been setting my 200T's at 13500. I don't see much better performance on them at 14000. My 357Xp is a lame dog at 13500 but nudge it up to 13800-1400 0 and it really comes to life. I'm a chicken with leaning them out since blowing a piston a while back on a saw that I thought I had rich enough.

Ya, your probablyl right, but 13,500 14k is pretty close. Mine is still running way on the rich side.

Just the powerhead will do.....I was thinking a similar thing. :)

The lowers can be raised back up the bore 32-33mm from the lip of the bore.
I bring the lowers down within 5mm of the lip also.

Hi I have been looking at the posts for 395 to get an idea of what mods to make on mine, I was thinking so far remove base gasket put on a walkerized muffler, or just mod a muffler myself with deflectors. How much porting to the cylinder is done? I am planning to use it for hardwood where my 372 sometimes gets a little slow and bogged. I am thinking on the 395 I would just like maybe a little more speed but lots of power so it won't bog down. Thanks

Hi I have been looking at the posts for 395 to get an idea of what mods to make on mine, I was thinking so far remove base gasket put on a walkerized muffler, or just mod a muffler myself with deflectors. How much porting to the cylinder is done? I am planning to use it for hardwood where my 372 sometimes gets a little slow and bogged. I am thinking on the 395 I would just like maybe a little more speed but lots of power so it won't bog down. Thanks

Lots of info on here, just have to look around, I've done a few build threads like this, two or three 395 threads, read through them and others to get some ideas.

http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/147013.htm

Back