395xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
New toy

first pull muffler check slug and jug. Then check the fuel line and the impulse hose. Giving it a tune up would be a good start,since you know nothing about the history of use:msp_smile:

Son, youve got a real hawg for your 1st saw. I say well done! Wait till you run it. Its prolly the most powerfull 90cc saw and smoothest too. I think you did damn good!

:boss:

first pull muffler check slug and jug. Then check the fuel line and the impulse hose. Giving it a tune up would be a good start,since you know nothing about the history of use:msp_smile:

Yup basically a new toy, probably only get used a few times a year but nice to have a big saw when you need it. Prabably mod this one so any help, suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks. CJ

Howdy,
Just picked up a used 395 and wondering what I should look out for. Looks to be in good shape, runs good. How is this for my first saw, never ran one before. [J/K]. It will replace my 385xp. CJ

You have gotten my curiosity up. First you post the 395 is your first saw and that you have never run a saw before. Then you say it will replace your 385. Then on another post you state the following:

I agree 100%, I only have about 3 good friends that I'll let use any of my saws. CJ

I am not trying to be smart,but which is it?

You have gotten my curiosity up. First you post the 395 is your first saw and that you have never run a saw before. Then you say it will replace your 385. Then on another post you state the following:

I agree 100%, I only have about 3 good friends that I'll let use any of my saws. CJ

I am not trying to be smart,but which is it?

The J/K means just kidding and it is the first time I ever ran a 395XP, sorry for the attempt at humor that was taken wrong!! It is hard to put humor in writing. CJ
Edited for spelling!!

Son, youve got a real hawg for your 1st saw. I say well done! Wait till you run it. Its prolly the most powerfull 90cc saw and smoothest too. I think you did damn good!

:boss:

I picked the saw up for $500, it looks to be about 4-5years old. It came with a 16" bar and chain on it!!!! Talk about a mis match. Don't even look right. With that small of a bar you can't hardly stall it. CJ

I have two 395's and love them, but I have a little trouble understanding why you would buy one to replace a 385 with a 395 that you might use only a couple of times a year?

You mention doing some work to the 395, so why not get the 385 worked over by a sponsor here. You would then have a lighter package with power to spare in a well balanced saw.

A ported 385/90 is great one saw plan for the larger wood.

At least keep the 385 till you have the funds to get it ported.

I have two 395's and love them, but I have a little trouble understanding why you would buy one to replace a 385 with a 395 that you might use only a couple of times a year?

You mention doing some work to the 395, so why not get the 385 worked over by a sponsor here. You would then have a lighter package with power to spare in a well balanced saw.

A ported 385/90 is great one saw plan for the larger wood.

At least keep the 385 till you have the funds to get it ported.

I would have liked to keep it but I traded the saw a while back and regretted it. Had the chance to pick it back up but wanted something with a little more pulling power. Never really thought about having someone work it over. I mod all my bikes so I should have known. I'll get the rest of my saws in my sig, maybe get some help with my 372XP for a little more guts also. CJ

Just a update, ran 2+ tanks of fuel through the saw and with about $8 of new parts [1 recoil screw and fuel cap] and a borrowed 24" chain off of my 372 the saw performed great. With a little tweeking starts 1 pull and runs out well. Not my first pick for a limbing saw but will go through 12-18" hardwood like butter. Now I have to decide to keep it or go with a ported 390. CJ

Just a update, ran 2+ tanks of fuel through the saw and with about $8 of new parts [1 recoil screw and fuel cap] and a borrowed 24" chain off of my 372 the saw performed great. With a little tweeking starts 1 pull and runs out well. Not my first pick for a limbing saw but will go through 12-18" hardwood like butter. Now I have to decide to keep it or go with a ported 390. CJ

Good to hear CJ............such terrible decisions to have to make! :msp_thumbup:

Good to hear CJ............such terrible decisions to have to make! :msp_thumbup:

I really like the 395 but for what I do a ported 390 would fit the bill better [I think] so can anybody recommend a sponsor that could do this for me. [Yup I am a newbe!!!] I will keep the 395 until I prove it was a good decision. CJ

Why not just keep the 395 and save your money on the ported 390. The 395 will do anything a ported 390 will and you already have it.

I dont know for sure but they both weigh enough that your gonna know you have a big saw when you carry it. If you have another smaller saw and will only use this saw for the big stuff the 395 would the perfect saw. I use a 394 on my big cuts and the weight hasnt bothered me yet.

I dont know for sure but they both weigh enough that your gonna know you have a big saw when you carry it. If you have another smaller saw and will only use this saw for the big stuff the 395 would the perfect saw. I use a 394 on my big cuts and the weight hasnt bothered me yet.

+1

It depends on how much the weight bothers you. I run a 2095 as my big saw. It weighs a little more the 395 but once I'm cutting I don't ever think about it. If you didn't have either the 390 might be a better choice, as it is a more modern saw, but since you already have this beast, you may as well run what you got. As you said it is not really a saw you NEED anyway, get it ported and have fun.

So you have a 372 as well? If so keep it and the 395, get your 372 ported and you'll be smiling from ear to ear, I recently just cut up a 40"+ Doug Fir with my ported 372 and 24" bar, they respond very well to porting. I find myself using my 395's less and less.

So you have a 372 as well? If so keep it and the 395, get your 372 ported and you'll be smiling from ear to ear, I recently just cut up a 40"+ Doug Fir with my ported 372 and 24" bar, they respond very well to porting. I find myself using my 395's less and less.

Yes the 372 has probably only cut 100 firewood cord or so. It is still like new. That would make the most sence, I really like my 372. Who is my best option on modding the 372? I also picked one up for a friend on Friday, he likes it. Last fall I dropped a 40" fir for my buddie that used it for supports in his new log home. I was running a 24" bar also and that is the reason I got the 395, I wish I would have known more about the porting and mods for these saws. Any help is appreciated. CJ

Last edited:
Yes the 372 has probably only cut 100 firewood cord or so. It is still like new. That would make the most sence, I really like my 372. Who is my best option on modding the 372? I also picked one up for a friend on Friday, he likes it. Last fall I dropped a 40" fir for my buddie that used it for supports in his new log home. I was running a 24" bar also and that is the reason I got the 395, I wish I would have known more about the porting and mods for these saws. Any help is appreciated. CJ

There are a few sponsers on here that could do it for you.

Treeslinger
Bsnelling
ECopesy.

Latest posts

Back