40 - 45 cc limbing saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Exactly why I like the 2260. Revboost is definitely noticeable limbing softwoods. That and 3/8 chain like all the rest of my saws.
I always thought my 372 was snappy, but running it back to back with the 2260 you notice a difference!

Try 3/8x8 with the 16" bar, if you haven't already!

You really need to try a saw with lo pro/narrow kerf chain. It requires much less power to move through the wood. .....

That's were I started, but I found it being overrated, and stopped using it over a decade ago (as a main limbing set-up). ;)

I still use it for some odd jobs, like initial thinning and cutting up planks and pallets though, with the 339xp.

I've been hand filing for years and like duke said this saw wouldn't see much dirt. Not sure what I'm going to do now with all the great input I have a list. I limbed with my 346XP again yesterday like I have hundreds of times and because my back wasn't hurting at all I felt like I don't need a lighter saw. But during my next bad back day I'll be wishing I had a lighter saw even if it's a little slower. I'll be referring back to this thread routinely until I decide thanks to everyone for the great input.

Well, nothing wrong with having a "bad back day special" - but I always had/have a bad back, and use nothing smaller than the 346xp for limbing. Of course, bad backs aren't always the same, and I haven't tried yours....

If I needed to, I could always use the 339xp - but that wasn't the reason I bought it.

Ooh right. Not sure which it is. I'd guess standard spline but my luck it'll be small.

The 2260 may well come with a standard spline in the US for all I know (there are 3/8x7 rims for both), but it doesn't here - where they come with a .325 setup. No big deal to change it anyway, I have both for my 560xpg. :)

Both options are listed in the IPL; http://www.jonsered.com/ddoc/JONI/JONI2015_AAaa/JONI2015_AAaa_CS2260_2015-04.pdf

- but a 3/8x7 rim only is listed for the standard spline, despite they exist for the small spline as well (different part number of course - 504 52 30-02).

OP if you're looking for a zippy little limbing saw without a lot of weight or spending the big bucks, I suggest you keep an eye out for a Dolmar PS-401 or its blue cousin the Makita DCS-401.

Yeah I like my Dolmar but they pissed me off with the way they didn't stand behind their bad saws and I have one of them. It is still running so I was one of the lucky ones but they aren't going to get another nickel from me. I'm the kind of guy that will cut off their nose to spite their face lol.

My 2c -

For a smaller saw than the 346/550 to really cut with appropriate speed for a commercial setting then it needs to run 3/8lp on a 7t rim.
The availability of stihl PS has made 325nk irrelevant as it simply cuts faster.

So this rules out everything except stihl as I have been able to find out. While there are some options to convert the dolmar 401 to a stihl mini spline you lose the chain brake and I consider this unacceptable.

As I can see it the only lighter than 346/550 option that works is the stihl 241. And it is only significantly lighter because of the stihl lightweight 3/8lp bars and availability of 3/8lp sprockets.
Pho it isn't much lighter.

The redmax gz4500 is the only other appealing choice, as it is much cheaper, but without the option to run 3/8lp 7t you are stuck with less appealing options. 325nk is semi chisel only, 325 full chisel is almost too much for a saw of that size/power.
If husky/zenoah/etc can sort a 3/8lp 7t for their saws then there may be more choices, but at the moment I can only see the stihl as having the speed and flexibility of chain choice to be an option.

Id love to be proven wrong and be shown another sub 45cc saw that can run 325 7t and 3/8lp 7t, as this gives you the flexibility to limb clean wood quickly and cut up some more abrasive wood when required.

My 2c -

For a smaller saw than the 346/550 to really cut with appropriate speed for a commercial setting then it needs to run 3/8lp on a 7t rim.
The availability of stihl PS has made 325nk irrelevant as it simply cuts faster.

So this rules out everything except stihl as I have been able to find out. While there are some options to convert the dolmar 401 to a stihl mini spline you lose the chain brake and I consider this unacceptable.

As I can see it the only lighter than 346/550 option that works is the stihl 241. And it is only significantly lighter because of the stihl lightweight 3/8lp bars and availability of 3/8lp sprockets.

The redmax gz4500 is the only other appealing choice, as it is much cheaper, but without the option to run 3/8lp 7t you are stuck with less appealing options. 325nk is semi chisel only, 325 full chisel is almost too much for a saw of that size/power.
If husky/zenoah/etc can sort a 3/8lp 7t for their saws then there may be more choices, but at the moment I can only see the stihl as having the speed and flexibility of chain choice to be an option.

Id love to be proven wrong and be shown another sub 45cc saw that can run 325 7t and 3/8lp 7t, as this gives you the flexibility to limb clean wood quickly and cut up some more abrasive wood when required.
Dolmar 421: Cannon bar , 3/8lp Stihl chain, 7t sprocket and your set

325nk is semi chisel only, 325 full chisel is almost too much for a saw of that size/power.
Actually full chisel puts less power requirement on the saw, than semi chisel does.
At least, that's the motivation for running 1.3 mm PS chain, rather than 1.3 mm PM chain, when upgrading from standard PMM with the MS192.

.325" full chisel therefore would put less stress on the saw, and even lesser given it's narrow kerf as well.

The tinier the chain, the faster it's getting dull. And full chisel dulls faster than semi chisel. Therefore, many users rather prefers the .325" over the 3/8 low profile chains.

However, while we are actually using 3/8 low profile PMX chain on our MS362 with 18" bar for milling purposes, we would rather put a .325" chain on a MS241, but better off, instead pick the MS201, which would be equipped with Oregon 91VXL chains on 12" bar.

Actually full chisel puts less power requirement on the saw, than semi chisel does.
At least, that's the motivation for running 1.3 mm PS chain, rather than 1.3 mm PM chain, when upgrading from standard PMM with the MS192.

.325" full chisel therefore would put less stress on the saw, and even lesser given it's narrow kerf as well.

The tinier the chain, the faster it's getting dull. And full chisel dulls faster than semi chisel. Therefore, many users rather prefers the .325" over the 3/8 low profile chains.

However, while we are actually using 3/8 low profile PMX chain on our MS362 with 18" bar for milling purposes, we would rather put a .325" chain on a MS241, but better off, instead pick the MS201, which would be equipped with Oregon 91VXL chains on 12" bar.
As there is no full chisel narrow kerf 325 available I would suggest that in my experience power requirement goes - 3/8lp<325 nk < 325 full chisel < 325 semi chisel.
Longevity is a different order.

MS200 rear handle. 12" narrow Kerf. Sharp.
Echo 280 top handle 8"(might be 6") narrow kerf. Sharp.
044/046 ported 28" Stihl light weight Bar. 3/8 .050. Sharp
The top handle only used in a tangle.
Just what I grab most of the time. Got a few to choose from.

I will say the 026 ported by Brad is always in the trunk of the car.
A LOT gets done with the MS200

My 2c -

There's another choice - 0.043" lo pro. Ever try any Oregon 90S on a 6T sprocket? If going from 6T to 7T is a 17% increase in chain speed, going from Oregon 91 0.050" to 90 0.043" lo pro is at least that reduction in loading/kerf. The cutters on 90S are narrower than 91, in addition to the gauge reduction (which 14% alone). I find the stuff flies - I just wish I could find an 0.043" bar with a larger tip diameter.

The Woodland Pro/Carlton 0.043" uses the same cutters as the 0.050", so the kerf reduction there is limited to the 0.007" reduction in gauge.

Dolmar 421: Cannon bar , 3/8lp Stihl chain, 7t sprocket and your set

So after doing a bit of hunting - I fail to see how you can set up a dolmar 420/421 with a 7t unless you convert to a 5105 drum and use a standard 3/8 7t sprocket.
Standard 3/8 sprockets and 3/8lp chain isn't a compromise I am happy with.
I understand I am harping on a fairly minor point, and the extra chain speed of running 7t vs 6t has both advantages and disadvantages - I just feel this is the appropriate setup for these 40-45cc saws. They are in between the top handles and the 50cc saws and need a chain setup in between 6t 3/8lp and 7t 325.
I understand this is the role 325nk was made for, I just find it underwhelming when there is no full chisel option. I can't see why you would want a semi chisel chain when limbing.

Again - happy to be proven wrong.

Latest posts

Back