40cc chainsaw favorite for $300-$350?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stacpa17

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Seems I missed the Dolmar 421 though the Makita 4300 is available. Is there another “pro quality”40cc recommendation without spending $500+ for a 543xp or a 241?

Echo cs400. Got this for my girlfriend's son for Christmas. Whole kit for about $300.
c88766ad32f0d4cb8887a30255bc0e09.jpg

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

Seems I missed the Dolmar 421 though the Makita 4300 is available. Is there another “pro quality”40cc recommendation without spending $500+ for a 543xp or a 241?
You could check home depot if there's one in your area they usually have 4300 and 6421 for rentals. When they cycle new saws in they normally sell the ones they have at a good discount.

I have had the Redmax 3800,4000,4500 series. I am currently running the 4500, 44cc. To me they are the best small saws going that don't cost a fortune. Mag split case like a big saw. Check out the older threads by B. Snelling and Chris-PA. I have been using a Redmax to log Cedar. It does an excellent job on this size wood.
If you are running lo-profile chain I highly recommend Stihl chisel chain.

Instead of doing a half ass hack job on the muffler hopefully my regular repair guy will do it.
If you can't do the mod yourself, you should probably look at a Husqvarna 545. You won't have to mod it or tune it, and the weight and size increase won't be enough to matter.

I have had the Redmax 3800,4000,4500 series. I am currently running the 4500, 44cc. To me they are the best small saws going that don't cost a fortune. Mag split case like a big saw. Check out the older threads by B. Snelling and Chris-PA. I have been using a Redmax to log Cedar. It does an excellent job on this size wood.
If you are running lo-profile chain I highly recommend Stihl chisel chain.

To bad those are getting harder to find.
A ryobi 10532 is a gz400 redmax in gray and half price, they are all tough saws. The ry3714 & 16 at homedepot are decent little saws too.

I guess the echo cs 400 it will be. Lots of dealers around where I live
Check for the package special if you go with the echo. Pretty sure I paid $299 for mine. Came with case, bar oil, bottle of mix and hat. My dealer had several but don't know if that was a one time promo. Sure won't hurt to ask.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

I'm surprised no one mentioned the Stihl MS250. It's 45cc but one of the best power to weight ratios in the Stihl line up. You can find them for 300-$350 new. Might not have a real pro constitution but people swear by them.

Latest posts

Back