441 vs.460

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I Know you didn't ask but 372 is better than both and cheaper and real men run husky !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

MS 460 hands down! If the 441 wasn't a POS, then Stihl wouldn't have put the 440 back into production. I own a 440 and a 460 and have ran all three saws professionally. Get a 440 or a 460. Either is a good choice. Anyone who talks about the 441 out-cutting a 460 obviously hasn't cut any wood worthy of either saw.

MS 460 hands down! If the 441 wasn't a POS, then Stihl wouldn't have put the 440 back into production. I own a 440 and a 460 and have ran all three saws professionally. Get a 440 or a 460. Either is a good choice. Anyone who talks about the 441 out-cutting a 460 obviously hasn't cut any wood worthy of either saw.

:msp_confused:

Buy both the 460 and 441. Since you can't go wrong with either you might as well have both.

But also buy a 440. Then get a 372 (XT and XP-Dub). Soon after get yer hands on a 576AT. After that go for a 7900. Switch it up a bit and jump on a 681. Then follow everything up with a 2171 along with a 2172.

Don't hafta knab'em all in that order but just have'em all on a list and be sure to get'em all. :msp_thumbup:

Buy both the 460 and 441. Since you can't go wrong with either you might as well have both.

But also buy a 440. Then get a 372 (XT and XP-Dub). Soon after get yer hands on a 576AT. After that go for a 7900. Switch it up a bit and jump on a 681. Then follow everything up with a 2171 along with a 2172.

Don't hafta knab'em all in that order but just have'em all on a list and be sure to get'em all. :msp_thumbup:

i think iam half way there. :msp_thumbup::msp_thumbup:

Both are good saws - if power is your priority go with the 460 - if fuel economy is your priority go with the 441 - I believe they weigh about the same.

It is sort like asking do you want Jessica Alba or Angelina Jolie - they are both babes.

I can see no reason not to go 441 M-Tronic. Sure the 460 is a great saw, but the 441C-M has just too many advantages over it. Never being out of tune is like an insurance policy should something get out of wack. Very responsive revver too, especially w' a MM.

One thing to keep in mind is that the 441Mtrons have not proven themselves yet. Well i guess i should say they have not been putting down wood for 15+ years like the 460 has. Its hard to say how they will hold up long term (I believe they will be great just as most other Stihls) but the Stihl 460 is so rock solid and reliable they are hard to beat. I know loggers that beat the living hell out of them and they just keep running away.

now that thats out of the way........ I would love to get and probalby will get a 441mtron in the near future.

I guess you will have to show me how a ms460 handily spanks a 441. I have seen about 50 some odd videos of 441's and 460's going at it and I have to have a stop watch to see which is faster because I can't tell by just watching. Now I can tell the difference in cutting speed between the 460 and a 290, so until I see some actual speed advantages with my own eyes I will say that they are darn near equal. If someone here has some rock solid evidence please post it up I would like to See it not just take your word for it.:msp_thumbup:

your theory holds no water because if the 460 is such a good saw why are they discontinuing it? The 440 is only back for a short time and the 441 will live on until the creation of the 442.

your theory holds no water because if the 460 is such a good saw why are they discontinuing it? The 440 is only back for a short time and the 441 will live on until the creation of the 442.

Sounds like you've ran and worked on both of them for a living. Oh wait, that would be me.

Have not had either saw so can't really comment , but there have been some saws I do know of that were discontinued because they were so friggin awesome and they do not break down. Hence no need to buy a new one , I own one .
Just a thought not meaning to rain on anyone's parade . But dang want to run them both myself now !

I Know you didn't ask but 372 is better than both and cheaper and real men run husky !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Well, it only took 21 posts for the peanut gallery to chime in.... LOL

dw

Have not had either saw so can't really comment , but there have been some saws I do know of that were discontinued because they were so friggin awesome and they do not break down. Hence no need to buy a new one , I own one .
Just a thought not meaning to rain on anyone's parade . But dang want to run them both myself now !

Yeah I have one or two.
Photo0021.jpg

995G008.jpg

husky2100013.jpg

stumping003.jpg

most of my saws are dead when I get them so I have been known to turn a wrench to get them running.

Last edited:
just saying

Don't sweat it man. I've just had some bad run ins with 441's so I firmly talk S#$t on them whenever possible. The 460 is just bomb-proof IMHO, and just flat out rips. Also, the Stihl rep told me the 460 and 660 will all be revamped over the next few years due to the increasingly stiff emission requirements. It will be sad to see them go. Both are sweet models.

Don't sweat it man. I've just had some bad run ins with 441's so I firmly talk S#$t on them whenever possible. The 460 is just bomb-proof IMHO, and just flat out rips. Also, the Stihl rep told me the 460 and 660 will all be revamped over the next few years due to the increasingly stiff emission requirements. It will be sad to see them go. Both are sweet models.

No problem, I have ran across junk saws in all makes and models, most saws are actually good saws just depends on how people treat them. The 441 is the EPA saw of the 044 series and may have been weak in the beginning due to running too lean with the factory settings, now most here know to trim the tabs on the carb and richen it up, and it does have better AV, efficiency, and filtration than the 460, and as I stated in my first post if I was a pro I would select the 460.

The 461 is getting smaller changes than the 440 to 441 transition. There's a few floating around on line if you go digging far enough. There's even video evidence it exists on youtube by a member here in ireland. The 661 I heard is getting spring av and flippy caps. Not sure about the strato or not.

In the head to heads the M-Tronic has had an advantage. It is super responsive, and very easy to "live with". I agree that they haven't been out long enough to have the proven longevity, so we'll have to see there. But on any given day, if its "which one will I take out with me today?", the M-Tronic is the answer.

Back