441 vs.460

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the info. I think I am gonna go with the 441c. Was just concerned how durable the m- tronic system would be.

Someone challenged the wisdom of buying a 460 due to the irrational thought of why is Stihl discontinuing this model? No offense, but I would argue this is more reason to buy the 460. The 460 has been around a long time -- unfortunately too long in the eyes of the EPA folks. The new version will be a "greener" saw and it will undoubtly suck up less fuel than the 460; but it will also weigh considerably more than the 460.

So if power/weight ratio means anything to you, go with the 460 before they are discontinued. As far as being less green, just remember your farts contribute more to emissions than your chainsaw ever will. Now if the 461 comes out as a M-Tronic, that opens a whole new level of comparisons.

Not trying to sway your choice iaduckman - you can't go wrong with any of these elite saws.

Someone challenged the wisdom of buying a 460 due to the irrational thought of why is Stihl discontinuing this model? No offense, but I would argue this is more reason to buy the 460. The 460 has been around a long time -- unfortunately too long in the eyes of the EPA folks. The new version will be a "greener" saw and it will undoubtly suck up less fuel than the 460; but it will also weigh considerably more than the 460.

So if power/weight ratio means anything to you, go with the 460 before they are discontinued. As far as being less green, just remember your farts contribute more to emissions than your chainsaw ever will. Now if the 461 comes out as a M-Tronic, that opens a whole new level of comparisons.

Not trying to sway your choice iaduckman - you can't go wrong with any of these elite saws.

I wish I would have worded by first post this well. Thanks man. The same goes for the 660 IMO. I would like to buy one while I still can.

Here's a video with a 461 from europe. Doesn't look much different then a 460.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/LaoKtS4xIVk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/WaS4crpIJcQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
I went through the same decision process a few months ago. I went with the 460 and have not been able to get the smile off my face. This thing is a brute and I have been putting it through its paces with hardwood cutting here in NY, mostly hickory. It pulls a 32" bar/chain easily. I have no experience with the 441 (either model) but will give a huge recommendation to the 460. My summer project will be to port it just to do it.

I have a Simonized ported 460 by far the meanest saw I've run. The thing just flat pulls like a freight train, it's no load rpm setting is 15,300. I did a before and after video on here with the same log and chain before and after, 40% faster than stock. I'll never sell the saw..........but you better carry a five gallon jug of mix with you because it is one fuel burning mother. I just ordered a 441 M-Tronic, I believe I'll prolly get it under the tree in the morning, it was supposed to be here Weds, but the dealer told me it hadn't made it in. My oldest boy came home with three or four new chains today, so I now they went to the dealer today, really didn't need to make a chain run.
As much as I love the ported 460, I going to say if I were buying and especially planned on running it stock I'd buy a 441 M-tronic. There hasn't been one of these newer Stihl strato saws I haven't liked.
They are much smoother to run, easier on fuel and offer better air filtration. I'm trying the 441 M-tronic based on all the reviews on here, especially like the ones by Slamm, he runs saws almost everyday like we do and makes a living with them as we do. It's a tough decision, both are excellent saws. There is not a thing wrong with the 460, one of the best saws Stihl has ever built imho, but these new strato's like the 261 just spank the saw they replaced.

Can't remember if they were BOTH empty or full of fluids but here are the facts. Amazing isn't it? Perception is powerful....

I've only run a stock 441 (non M model) for a couple of cuts, it has a much more user friendly powerband than my 044. I do love my 044 for its lightweight handling abilities, but the 441 shows it's a more advanced saw IMHO. Now I do love my 460 and yes it has more power than the 441 by a good bit and if I were running a 32" bar often I go 460 instead. Since I just cut for firewood and not full time the 460 works fine for me but if I ran a saw for several hours a day, several days a week then I'd go 441 for the AV if nothing else.

ms460 = fast and fun cutting
ms441 = a more sensible and conservative approach

we have both saws at our work and if you are bucking firewood under 20" the 441 is the clear choice, 460 is wasted power imho and gets murdered in the fuel economy dept. that's observable fact. For what it's worth the 372xp lands smack in the middle and my back likes it better than the other two:cheers:

I've only run a stock 441 (non M model) for a couple of cuts, it has a much more user friendly powerband than my 044. I do love my 044 for its lightweight handling abilities, but the 441 shows it's a more advanced saw IMHO. Now I do love my 460 and yes it has more power than the 441 by a good bit and if I were running a 32" bar often I go 460 instead. Since I just cut for firewood and not full time the 460 works fine for me but if I ran a saw for several hours a day, several days a week then I'd go 441 for the AV if nothing else.

ms460 = fast and fun cutting
ms441 = a more sensible and conservative approach

Run a M-Tronic if you get a chance. You'll like it, especially if you open the muffler any at all.

we have both saws at our work and if you are bucking firewood under 20" the 441 is the clear choice, 460 is wasted power imho and gets murdered in the fuel economy dept. that's observable fact. For what it's worth the 372xp lands smack in the middle and my back likes it better than the other two:cheers:[/QUOT[/I]

I agree, dont limit your self to stihl( even tho thats all i own) but lots of good saws out there

Here's a video with a 461 from europe. Doesn't look much different then a 460.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/LaoKtS4xIVk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/WaS4crpIJcQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

gee don't those 2 vids make the ms441 look real good

I have a Simonized ported 460 by far the meanest saw I've run. The thing just flat pulls like a freight train, it's no load rpm setting is 15,300. I did a before and after video on here with the same log and chain before and after, 40% faster than stock. I'll never sell the saw
gday indiansprings can you post a link of the vid please thinking of porting my 460

gee don't those 2 vids make the ms441 look real good

Well since the 441 is modded it should be the stronger of the 3. The 461 doesn't look like it got a total revamp like the 441 when it came out.

Last edited:
Well since the 441 is modded it should bve the stronger of the 3. The 461 doesn't look like it got a total revamp like the 441 when it came out.

looking at the vid the 461 did not look any faster. if it doesn't come out as a 461 mtronic they have lost the plot and it will make the 441 mtronic look even better again

Last edited:
indiansprings can you post a link of the vid please thinking of porting my 460

Just do it. If you can afford the increased gas consumption (easy peasy unless you're into some type of logging/production cutting), you'll never be able to wipe the grin off your face when cutting with it. I mean never. :D :D

As pointed out the 441 is ported and in the second vid the 461 is running an 8 pin and a bigger bar so I dont see that it looks bad and in another of my vids when I run a 372 with a 28" a 394 30" and my 461 with a 30" you begin to see how good a saw it is. It makes me chuckle a bit that here is Stihl giving what many want, a tradtional saw with good power and still folk want to pick holes in what will be a good replacement for the 460. We will just have to see how it is finaly launched I suppose ?

I have both the 460 and 441 M-Tronic and I love both of 'em. I guess if I had to choose just one it would probably be the 460. Again, I'm fortunate to have both saws and they are both GREAT.

Latest posts

Back