455 Rancher not living up to task

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aarolar

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
We have two 455 ranchers that we use strictly for our own firewood consumption that are not impressing me. They still have the factory 20'' bars and are very weak in my opinion. This morning we were cutting a 24" white oak and it was taking forever and bogging horribly. Is there anything we can do to get some more out of these saws or are they just out of their league?

never had a problem with mine,
how long you have them?
what chain are you using?
is the chain sharp?
have you done any maintenance on them?
do you leave fuel in them or do you drain it and run it dry after use?
have you cleaned the air filter?
changed the plug?

sounds to me user error.

never had a problem with mine,
how long you have them?
what chain are you using?
is the chain sharp?
have you done any maintenance on them?
do you leave fuel in them or do you drain it and run it dry after use?
have you cleaned the air filter?
changed the plug?

sounds to me user error.

Go jump off a bridge dude, one just left the saw shop and is 3 years old and the other is brand new out of the box.:msp_confused::msp_confused:

They really shouldn't be sold with a 20" bar, it's too much if you need to bury the bar most of the time. But it looks good in marketing! 16", or max 18", is more suitable.

They cut slow? Get rid of the van guard-chain (that I assume is on them) and get some H42 or whatever suits your bar, it cuts way better. Or try changing to .325, maybe even .325 pixel if you absolutely must run a 20" bar.

Bottom line is, that with a 16" or tops 18" bar, and a good chisel or semi-chisel chain they will work and cut wood well, but with more bar than they can cope with, a chain that is aimed more towards being "safe" than to cut well, and to hard leaned on they wont work very well.

They really shouldn't be sold with a 20" bar, it's too much if you need to bury the bar most of the time. But it looks good in marketing! 16", or max 18", is more suitable.

They cut slow? Get rid of the van guard-chain (that I assume is on them) and get some H42 or whatever suits your bar, it cuts way better. Or try changing to .325, maybe even .325 pixel if you absolutely must run a 20" bar.

Bottom line is, that with a 16" or tops 18" bar, and a good chisel or semi-chisel chain they will work and cut wood well, but with more bar than they can cope with, a chain that is aimed more towards being "safe" than to cut well, and to hard leaned on they wont work very well.

One still has the factory chain with the rounded over style rakers but the other has a chisel chain I think an oregon from the saw shop no safety anything. I may go tomorrow and pick up an 18'' bar I have a 021 with a 16" bar and it pulls the #### outta is so I don't see any reason to nuter the 455's back that far.

you did not answer my questions?

The shop just went over the one and did all the maintenance on it and the one out of the box should be fine but ill let the shop look it over tomorrow just in case. No I don't drain them but we run them atleast 2x a week and keep non ethanol premium in them.

One still has the factory chain with the rounded over style rakers

Yeah, that's the bad one, no saw can cut well with it. It's not totally useless, but that's about it...

I may go tomorrow and pick up an 18'' bar I have a 021 with a 16" bar and it pulls the #### outta is so I don't see any reason to nuter the 455's back that far.

You can't compare to the 021 like that, it probably has a 3/8 Picco chain, or maybe a .325, and both will pull though the wood much easier than the standard 3/8 you have on the 455!

Last edited:
Well, it ain't no 372xp

It is possible that your expectations for the saw exceed its capability to deliver. The 455 Rancher we use cuts well and for a $400 saw it is a good value in my estimation. If you are going to have much wood of the size you were cutting recently you need to get a saw in the 70-80cc class. For occasional use, the 455 will handle that kind of wood (with patience). I am pretty sure your chains are dull. Even a Wild Thing will cut that diameter of wood if you go at it slowly with a sharp chain and clean air filter.

I'm curious as to why you got a second 455 if you weren't impressed with the first one? (or maybe it is someone else's, not sure from the post.)

16", or max 18", is more suitable.

I agree...it's only a 3.5 hp saw and 20" is really pushing it..!! Much better 16-18"

It's a well known saw for reliability...working hard..!! Maybe you just need a better chain..??

First suspect would be a dull chain...you didn't say what chain you use or how sharp it is..??

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Being "spiteful" toward respected members on this site is not smart..!!

Don't like the advice offered..??...ignore it..!! "Burned bridges" are hard to repair..!!!!
:cheers:
J2F

Last edited:
you thought enough of the first one to buy another, the key to cutting is a sharp, non safety, semi chisel (that is the type i cut with). i use a 3/8 20" bar on mine, and it cuts fast and throws big chips. the .325 chain does help.

I put a 3/8 20" setup on my neighbors "Franken 55 Rancher" (ran over and fixed) and it has no issues with that combo.

Slow and steady as long as the chain is sharp. It's no speed demon, but a dang good saw that has seen less than adequate TLC that cuts like a champ.

Just my experience with this one.

Those are modern EPA neutered saws. The mufflers gotta be way restricted, and possibly (don't know about your husky techs) the carbs are too lean. maybe, don't know.

With that said, that's a long bar for hardwoods for that size saw. Those are 50s not 70s. Keep one, sell the other, get a 70 so you have a proper two saw plan.

I ran a 55 for a long time with an 18 inch bar..I thought that was a bit too long for it. A 16 would have been ideal.

Do you a 50 cc with a 16, then a 70 with a 20 or 24. That will really cover all your personal firewood needs pretty well. The 50-70 plan is the overwhelming favorite firewood combo you see on this site, over and over again, from any number of really experienced guys.

455 saw isn't really marketed as a saw for your level of use, AArolar. Im too lazy to look it up, but I think they were rated at about 3.4 hp; which is comparatively feeble compared to the 350, 351, 352, or 353 saws at the same power and 2#/1 kg less weight. Your use would suggest 359/357 level saw with over 4 hp. The real advantage would be sturdier construction, better air filter sealing, etc., for long service life.

Kind of the old "professional-grade" thing. A homeowner who cuts up a few trees now and then doesn't mind mediochre performance, but some of us need to get some work done.

Dude,you lighten up.If you are at all familiar with the 455 you should know that a 20 BC (bar and chain for the slower member) is about the max for the 455. Tack onto this the safety chain that slows this whole process down even more.Dude, is your bar and chain getting oil?When was the last time you had the chain sharpened?Dude, when was the last time you had the rakers adjusted?
Sir your reply was less than polite.May I suggest that you rethink your reply before you make a total fool out of yourself.You will receive many more replies if you use a more appropriate wording on this site.Ken

Drop the 20 to an 18", Switch out the Vanguard to normal LGX, check the Muffler screens, air filters, and plugs.

Here's the biggie though. Check the tune with a Tach.
Just out of the shop or new means nothing really.

The 455's are slow and touchy with a buried 20", and there is no getting away from it.
Add in a bit of tuning on the lean or rich side and it would easily explain what you're dealing with.

Lots of Techs tune a smidge rich in deferrence to the saw coming back seized, and right out of the box it could be tuned to god knows what.

They are a good solid saw that is tough to kill, but they just aren't going to pull a 20 with authority, and especially buried in hardwood.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

The vanguard chain will actually cut like a S O B with the rakers taken down. I took the rakers down and square filed one then traded the saw to a member on here and he was all kinds of impressed with the way it cut. As for more power I would be looking into a MM.

Go jump off a bridge dude, one just left the saw shop and is 3 years old and the other is brand new out of the box.:msp_confused::msp_confused:

Maybe the saw that is brand new is still not broken in yet? How many tanks are thru the new 455?

Kudos to JEEP for a "turn the other cheek" reply. To be told " go jump off a bridge ...." would often lead to a fight. I would rep ya if I could figure out how to do that from tapatalk on the iPhone.

Don't bother, I'll rep him for ya.;)

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Back