461 in works?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I don't "dislike" the 441 all that bad. Except it's fugly, not as bad as the MS362 though ... Ha!! And, it's WAY too heavy for a pro 70cc saw. I'll still take a 460 any day and all day over the MS441. The so-called big improvements aren't worth the large increase in weight and the looks to me .... the 441 weighs darn close to 15 pounds power head only .... it doesn't weigh the same as a 460 like the specs say .... it weighs more by a few ounces. What was the 440 .... 13 3/4# .... huge increase in weight. Same with the MS362 .... a 3/4# weight increase over a 361 is huge in a 59cc saw.

I think someone said in an earlier post how you couldn't tell them apart full of fuel in the dark ..... I could pick out the 441 in the dark every single time just by the "feel". Doesn't hang in my hands like any other Stihl I've owned or handled. I even made measurements of the handle placements between the 441-460 they are near identical .... I think the weight is farther forward on the 441 .... can't nail it down yet .... feels a world different to me.

So how about helping a guy out who is on the verge of pulling the trigger for a new 460. If the biggest bar you were going to put on it is a 25 would you buy the 441 and maybe mod it a bit or buy the 460. And if the 460 were to get the same mods as the 441, which would then be the better saw all things considered? At my age two pounds is two pounds, if the performance is similar I would go for the weight saving.

I don't know what you mean by the 2 pounds statement, between those two saws the weight in only about 3 oz. more for the MS441 powerhead. Myself, I much prefer the way the 25" bar hangs on the 460. The 441 gets a little better feeling to me with a 20" but a 20" is great on a 460 also. I personally wouldn't mod any of my saws except for the muffler .... unless you want to post videos on U-Tube of shiney, never used play toys cutting cookies on a log you had to have hauled into your fenced in 1/4 acre lot. Heck, if you think you want to mod one, just go buy a MS660 and be done with it .... then you WILL have the extra 2 pounds. You "could" buy one for the extra $300 or so these "modders" will charge, plus shipping both ways, plus the cost of the new saw. A stock 460 is plenty with the muffler opened up like the old ones used to be .... it will handle most any tree you need cut, and it will also not be too heavy to use the 20" bar on. Maybe, if all you cut was 30" and up trees all the time you would want bigger .... almost nobody does that in real life .... or, if you happened to have a tree service where you have to keep a big saw on stand by just in case. I'm no spring chicken .... over 50 .... the vibes on a 460 don't bother me one bit .... what vibes?? .... and I almost never wear gloves running the saw either .... or any kind of PPE. Either of those saws would be fine .... both are near identical weight .... personal choice as to which feels better to you .... I pick the 460 over-all myself by quite a bit.

Here's the post. Erick compared the 440/441/460 in weight and performance.

http://arboristsite.com/showthread.php?p=1674178&highlight=weight#post1674178

Yes, but keep in mind when you read those scales that the 460 has a full wrap kit installed .... big handle, big clutch cover, and big double dogs ... it's not apples to apples. The 441 powerhead actually weighs slightly MORE than a 460 ... a LOT more than a 440. The "fatter" part is outright wrong if comparing to a 460, fatter than a 440 ... then yes, it is. I've made case measurements side by side about 3 times .... both saws ( 441 & 460) might as well be identical in pysical size. The 441 "looks" fatter because of the rounded off and morphed in recoil cover/ top cover.

By the By .... the 372XP "official weight" is full of it too .... by a lot. A hair over 14 pounds powerhead only with standard half wrap and standard little dogs. You put a full wrap kit on a 372XP and you are over 15 pounds also. Big double dogs weigh quite a bit, that's wear the bulk of the extra weight comes from.

Latest posts

Back