462 vs 661

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And it does. And it helps show why the 462 is out of the equation imo if he’s keeping the 361. His plan will be 60-90 instead of 50-70. Instead of just saying 661 is my choice, I’m explaining why people jump classes. Nothing was off topic, what you’re doing now is off topic.
It was this statement that needed disspelling.
Having that 361 and wanting to go bigger screws everything up for a 2 saw plan. I’d ditch that thing.
As you stated above with the 60-90 comment.

That's all.

It was this statement that needed disspelling.
As you stated above with the 60-90 comment.

That's all.
Let me clarify for you since your comprehension needs some assistance.

I believe the perfect saw out of his two options is the 462, but since he has a 361, I wouldn’t go that route. Since he’s not willing to sell the 361, I’d get the 661.

Here’s my stance, maybe reread it.

https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/462-vs-661.346719/post-7403465

Let me clarify for you since your comprehension needs some assistance.

I believe the perfect saw out of his two options is the 462, but since he has a 361, I wouldn’t go that route. Since he’s not willing to sell the 361, I’d get the 661.

Here’s my stance, maybe reread it.

https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/462-vs-661.346719/post-7403465
I need no help. Your opinions are quite clearly stated. It's ok man, relax. Opinions are why we're here.:cheers:

So if one had no saws, you’d recommend a 60-90 or 70-90 2 saw plan or something else for firewood?
For my cutting a 40-60 will suffice, but I bounce all over. Milling. GTGs. Helping friends, plus i work on them so i always have a wide array around. I'll usually ask what size wood they're cutting, but even that can be confusing because some guys that buy the semi loads for selling firewood want to get it all buzzed up with an 066. Everyone is different. If a guy had a 60cc saw that he liked and wanted something to compliment it for bigger wood I wouldn't look too deeply into it, I'd recommend a 385xp or 390xp. But I like Huskies.

For my cutting a 40-60 will suffice, but I bounce all over.
I’ll just quote this because the rest is off topic.

He said his 60 isn’t big enough and wants to go bigger. See yet how a 60 screws up a good 2 saw plan for firewood?

I’ll just quote this because the rest is off topic.

He said his 60 isn’t big enough and wants to go bigger. See yet how a 60 screws up a good 2 saw plan for firewood?
I don't, especially when there are 90+cc saws out there. But I'm ok with you having a different opinion.

I don't, especially when there are 90+cc saws out there. But I'm ok with you having a different opinion.
I like a 3 saw plan anyway so his 60/90 will work out good if he goes that route. 40/60/90 is a great 3 saw plan. 60/90 is a ****** 2 saw plan for the vast majority of firewood hacks, but obviously will work.

I like a 3 saw plan anyway so his 60/90 will work out good if he goes that route. 40/60/90 is a great 3 saw plan. 60/90 is a ****** 2 saw plan for the vast majority of firewood hacks, but obviously will work.
I had a friend that used a 395 for everything, and he loved it. He is a bigger guy, country strong. Just switched bar lengths. Just because it ain't for you doesn't make it "******".

I had a friend that used a 395 for everything, and he loved it. He is a bigger guy, country strong. Just switched bar lengths. Just because it ain't for you doesn't make it "******".
Weight isn’t the issue for me saying it’s a ****** plan. The vast majority enjoy having a small nimble saw in their lineup. I have 2 660’s and a 661.

As stated many moons ago. The best two saw plan is a good 50cc and 70cc saw. Now this is fact, because I say so.[emoji4]

Or you could try the proverbial three of four saw plan. We can go all day who's game? Husky or Stihl, how about Echo?

The 462 will pull a 28" like a boss, if you keep your 60cc little girl saw, I'd likely move up to the big boy 661 myself, not that it's required.

Did I mention the 500i yet? [emoji38]

As stated many moons ago. The best two saw plan is a good 50cc and 70cc saw. Now this is fact, because I say so.[emoji4]

Or you could try the proverbial three of four saw plan. We can go all day who's game? Husky or Stihl, how about Echo?

The 462 will pull a 28" like a boss, if you keep your 60cc little girl saw, I'd likely move up to the big boy 661 myself, not that it's required.

Did I mention the 500i yet? [emoji38]
Good morning Andre. You forgot to mention the mighty 7910. I just picked up a hot one of those from Clint Davis. Made 9.5hp on the Joe's dyno. One saw plan FTW.

Good morning Andre. You forgot to mention the mighty 7910. I just picked up a hot one of those from Clint Davis. Made 9.5hp on the Joe's dyno. One saw plan FTW.
Forgot about them, the 7900 is still my favorite 70cc to 80cc saw of all time. The stock 7910's are held back though, and they now have that ugly Makita written on them lol. When they went to the non windowed piston the engine seemed to produce more vibration in my hands. So I've pushed then down the totem pole, though in the right hands they become rippers, always have. 9.5 is impressive!

When you get into ported saws everything changes when it come to the, what saw? Ported saws are fun, but that's about it for me, the allure has worn off long ago, though I still grind some aluminum from time to time. When I go out and cut wood, I'm perfectly happy with any stock pro saw, they're all faster than I am by a long shot, and no one's standing behind me with the stopwatch and rating the quality/speed of my cuts. Well unless I have the camera going.[emoji6] Dyno numbers are cool and all, but give me a good chain and I'm happy.

Forgot about them, the 7900 is still my favorite 70cc to 80cc saw of all time. The stock 7910's are held back though, and they now have that ugly Makita written on them lol. When they went to the non windowed piston the engine seemed to produce more vibration in my hands. So I've pushed then down the totem pole, though in the right hands they become rippers, always have. 9.5 is impressive!

When you get into ported saws everything changes when it come to the, what saw? Ported saws are fun, but that's about it for me, the allure has worn off long ago, though I still grind some aluminum from time to time. When I go out and cut wood, I'm perfectly happy with any stock pro saw, they're all faster than I am by a long shot, and no one standing behind me with the stopwatch and rating the quality/speed of my cuts. Well unless I have the camera going.[emoji6] Dyno numbers are cool and all, but give me a good chain and I'm happy.
I've gotten a lot more into chains as well. I've got files but haven't messed with square yet. A good self feeding full chisel sure is a pleasure.

As stated many moons ago. The best two saw plan is a good 50cc and 70cc saw. Now this is fact, because I say so.
emoji4.png
Yes, it is a fact.

Lmao! The only reason Stihl sells a 60cc saw is it forces you to buy 3 saws instead of 2. Worthless class of saws. Too big to be nimble and too small to run and oil a longer bar.

Yes, it is a fact.

Lmao! The only reason Stihl sells a 60cc saw is it forces you to buy 3 saws instead of 2. Worthless class of saws. Too big to be nimble and too small to run and oil a longer bar.
I agree.

But 60cc is where the one saw plan is for the general public, well it was until the 462 came along, but still most like to save some $$$ so 60cc saws sell like crazy.

I agree.

But 60cc is where the one saw plan is for the general public, well it was until the 462 came along, but still most like to save some $$$ so 60cc saws sell like crazy.
I agree with that, till they run into bigger wood and then they end up in the predicament the OP is in.

60 class saws screw everything up, lmao!

I’m tellin ya, it’s a marketing scheme.

Latest posts

Back