462 vs 661

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I mean, honestly. Folks that run saws everyday don’t appreciate a lighter saw. That’s pretty special...

I've never heard a single guy I work with or talk to in my business even make mention to what a chainsaw weighs, picking up the saw to make a cut is the easiest part of the job. That's what's special.

Is the OP in the tree business or is he logging ?

I've never heard a single guy I work with or talk to in my business even make mention to what a chainsaw weighs, picking up the saw to make a cut is the easiest part of the job. That's what's special.

Is the OP in the tree business or is he logging ?
I burn firewood at my house as well as help cut for my parents house, then we use saws for farm use

I burn firewood at my house as well as help cut for my parents house, then we use saws for farm use

I'd say the power of a 661 won't hurt your feelings. If you carried the thing all day every day of your life I'd understand the weight argument...sorta..

I'd say your occasional use is all the more reason to buy a 661..who cares what it weighs, you aren't lugging it around all day.

Down the road if you gotta buy a bigger bar for a bigger tree you'll have what you need to pull it.

Since you already have a 361...

If you aren't making a living with a chainsaw and need a big saw to cut some big wood here and there just buy a 661, I'm assuming you're somewhat in shape..these weight stories are ridiculous and seldom told by guys that actually use these things, you'll have the ass when you need it and won't regret it.

My opinion.
I bought my 661 from you, I guess it was a couple years ago now. You had ordered one through your dealer for a friend and he backed out on you. I took it off your hands for a great price and still appreciate that. Shipping a 661R to NJ might help you remember.

I agree the weight is a not an issue.

I'd say the power of a 661 won't hurt your feelings. If you carried the thing all day every day of your life I'd understand the weight argument...sorta..

I'd say your occasional use is all the more reason to buy a 661..who cares what it weighs, you aren't lugging it around all day.

Down the road if you gotta buy a bigger bar for a bigger tree you'll have what you need to pull it.

Weight is always a factor IMHO, but if you're just bucking some logs I agree it's not a big deal.

The 462 with mastermind mods will
Be faster than a 661. I ran mine doing storm clean up in the 97f heat for 2 months thus summer in Cedar Rapids ia, never took the 36” bar off it. Buried in 40” oak trees, pulls it well, with a lot of authority.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The 462 with mastermind mods will
Be faster than a 661. I ran mine doing storm clean up in the 97f heat for 2 months thus summer in Cedar Rapids ia, never took the 36” bar off it. Buried in 40” oak trees, pulls it well, with a lot of authority.

I gotta see a ported 70cc saw faster than a 661 with a 36" bar in 40" oaks.

That's impressive...

I gotta see a ported 70cc saw faster than a 661 with a 36" bar in 40" oaks.

That's impressive...

Faster than a stock 661.....the stock 661 really leaves a lot on the table, yes it’s big but for a 90cc saw, underpowered for the cc size.

From what I read the guys doing port work had several different rounds of recipes to get the 661 to run well, ported. My understanding is when porter with the latest recipe, it’s a real monster.

Faster than a stock 661.....the stock 661 really leaves a lot on the table, yes it’s big but for a 90cc saw, underpowered for the cc size.

From what I read the guys doing port work had several different rounds of recipes to get the 661 to run well, ported. My understanding is when porter with the latest recipe, it’s a real monster.

A ported 462 will never keep up with a stock 661 in big wood. Ain’t happening. What did you mod to get it to oil a 36 inch bar properly?

I've had just about every modern 90cc ish saw there is and a 661 is ahead of them for bone stock performance.

I wanna see a ported 462 out pull a stock 661 with a 36" bar in 40" oaks.

Of course there's meat left on the bone for porting a 661, but that's not what this is about. I have a ported 462. And a muffler modded one as well and had 661s in different flavors, so I have a fairly good idea what they run like. You must have got a ringer if your saw can do as you stated.

I bought my 661 from you, I guess it was a couple years ago now. You had ordered one through your dealer for a friend and he backed out on you. I took it off your hands for a great price and still appreciate that. Shipping a 661R to NJ might help you remember.

I agree the weight is a not an issue.

If you are remotely strong, I agree.

I knew a guy that died 2 years ago that was still climbing at 70. Never whined about anything, grabbed the saw he needed for the job and did it. I know we all have a different perspective...but I can tell you with absolute certainty that days my azz is wore out the weight difference in saws isn't the reason. Lol.

Like what was just stated, a 361/462 is a ****** two saw plan. They’re too close in comparison If you’re going to get the 462, ditch the 361 and get a 261.

Or keep the 361 and go up to the 661.

Anything else makes no sense to me. As a firewood hack myself and leaving out the saw obsession, I’d go with the 261/462 as a two saw firewood/farm plan.

Like what was just stated, a 361/462 is a ****** two saw plan. They’re too close in comparison If you’re going to get the 462, ditch the 361 and get a 261.

Or keep the 361 and go up to the 661.

Anything else makes no sense to me. As a firewood hack myself and leaving out the saw obsession, I’d go with the 261/462 as a two saw firewood/farm plan.

Best advice.

I have wanted a 462 since they came out but had the same thought that my 362 would just set around. Kinda have myself convinced 661 is the way to go. I get the 30 inch stuff bucked with 362 and 20 inch bar but it takes to long. I am thinking a 28 inch bar would work out well. And will keep 362 because girl friend bought it for me as a gift Lol

Back